Author Topic: lurker turned noob..  (Read 5043 times)

Offline Auto.default

lurker turned noob..
« on: July 25, 2011, 05:00:13 PM »
hello all, just signed up today.. i've lurked around this forum here and there for about a year now, while doing research on the r9 family of handguns.. finally bit the bullet last saturday, and ended up w/ a stealth r9s, after much contemplating on whether or not i needed another pocket gun.. i already carry/shuffle between 2 s&w j-frames ( model 37 & 638 ), a .32 seecamp, and a ruger lcp for pocket duty..  not to mention, i also have 2 boberg xr9s that are being built, and waiting to be shipped, hopefully within another 2 months, or less...  but as one knows, when the bug bites, you gotta scratch...    ;D
« Last Edit: July 25, 2011, 07:50:28 PM by Auto.default »
PUP = perfect undercover pistol

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
Re: lurker turned noob..
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2011, 05:17:14 PM »
Auto.d.  Welcome to the Forum and congrats are now in order on getting the Stealth.  Again, welcome and join in.
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline Z

• Grand Master
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2011, 06:07:07 PM »
Congratulations and welcome to the forum! :)

Offline Robar233

• Master
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2011, 08:48:35 PM »
Auto.default,

Welcome, I am glad you decided to join the forum. I did the same thing that you did. I looked and read and learned. There were very few articles on line about the R9. So, I drove 70 miles to a store that carried them. Only to find that the one they had was a very special custom engraved model. All I could do was look at it no touching allowed.
 I bought a Robar edition and have not regretted is at all. I hope you find the forum as helpful and fun as I do. I also hope you enjoy your R9 as much as I do as well.

Robar233

Offline yankee2500

• Grand Master
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2011, 10:11:52 PM »
Auto.default welcome to the group. :D
"THE KING OF BATTLE"

"Cha togar m' fhearg gun dìoladh"

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."
Thomas Jefferson

Offline Auto.default

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2011, 11:50:10 PM »
thanks for the welcome fellas...  Robar233, sorry to hear that you drove that 70 miles only to visually review that little gem, but it looks like it worked out for you in the end.. and yes, i hope to learn more about these firearms, as well as possible future mods and related accessories (holsters, etc.)..  and lastly, what's a intro thread without "pictures".. so, here's my new "pup", as you guys like to call them, along w/ my faithful seecamp..

Offline Reinz

• Grand Master
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2011, 12:01:56 AM »
Welcome to the forum Auto.default, and enjoy your R9!
NRA- LIFE  TSRA- LIFE  SASS-LIFE

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2011, 07:51:59 AM »
And a welcome, with congratulations, from me as well. (By the way, that photography is superb.)
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline theirishguard

• Grand Master
  • In Memoriam: 1941 to 2013
    • irishguardfirearmsltd.com
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2011, 12:42:07 PM »
welcome and congrats on your new pup. most folks here also have a Seecamp.  Tom
Tom Watson, DVC , Quis Separabit ,  Who dares wins, Utrinque Paratus

Offline Auto.default

« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2011, 07:13:46 PM »
I appreciate the greetings fellow rohrbaughers.. So, my next to do with the stealth is to acquire some of those black grip screws, as well as ordering 2 holsters for it.. I have the desantis pocket holster in mind for one, but as for the second,  I think I would like to try an OWB holster... Can anyone recommend a decent leather owb holster, in black, right handed..  adjustability for cant would be nice, but not necessary..  and any pictures with it being worn would greatly be appreciated.. Thanks in advance, J.

Offline Robar233

• Master
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2011, 08:30:35 PM »
A/D,

I would take a look at both Meco Pocket Holsters and Keeton custom leather. I know you said you got a DeSantis but check these two companies out. I have a Stingray skin Keeton on the way for either of my Seecamps. Yes, some if us have two. I had to get a .380 last year.
 Enjoy your R9. Play with different ammo and see what works best for you.
 Robar233

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2011, 09:44:06 PM »
J.:

If it's an adjustable OWB you want, you might get in touch with Kevin at K&D Holsters:

http://www.kdholsters.com/pd.php

Although I carry my R9 exclusively in the pocket, here's a photo of an "Adjustable Paddle Defender" rig that Kevin made for my HK P7:

___

(Contrary to what is shown in the photograph, I should note that I no longer use 147-grain ammunition in the P7, since its gas-retarded recoil system was designed around the 115/124-grain NATO round.)
« Last Edit: November 27, 2011, 07:17:15 PM by Richard S »
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline Auto.default

« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2011, 12:35:54 AM »
thanks for the suggestions Robar and Richard, i'll be sure to check them out... Btw Richard, that's a sweet looking HK and holster...