Author Topic: Gun Show this past weekend (9/20)  (Read 4889 times)

Offline MikeInTexas

• Grand Master
  • Hello from Texas
Re: Gun Show this past weekend (9/20)
« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2020, 05:45:39 PM »
Damn backurp9, wish you lived close.  I've lost both of my shotgun buddies and haven't been in a year or so.  Used to go Skeet shooting twice a week with one of them.  Good times, and 50 straight was the norm.  Never got 100, but got to 96 :(

Cleaned up the yard of tree debris for kindling.  Split some pecan and got a nice fire started.  Steaks heavily dusted with mineral salt and at room temp waiting on the fire to catch up.  I'm about to beat some potatoes and add heart attack amounts of cheese and butter to them.  Might make a salad so we can at least counter the herb butter I'm going to lather on the steaks at the flip.  Herself wants a flavored stogie for desert, so after the steaks we will probably pour a hefty glass of Jane Walker (not Jonnie, but Jane) and smoke up the yard.

Good luck going to VA, I bet this is an outstanding time to go and see the colors.

Yes, life is good and I hope everyone is enjoying this beautiful fall weather in good health.

edited to add the picture for clarity :)

« Last Edit: October 04, 2020, 06:13:54 PM by MikeInTexas »

Offline cargaritaville

• Grand Master
« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2020, 06:26:21 PM »
Mike, sounds like you had a great day with ribs on the grill yet to come!  No gun shows here for now, but I got to the shotgun range for a round of sporting clays, shooting only true pairs and shot really well....then to the indoor range where I shot the two pistols I’m taking on a driving trip with my wife in a a couple of weeks to Northern Virginia to visit family and break the monotony of 7 months of relative isolation.  Life is good!
[/color]

Is Virginia a reciprocal state with Florida?
Having a gun in your hand is much more effective than having the entire police department on the phone!

Offline MikeInTexas

• Grand Master
  • Hello from Texas
« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2020, 08:40:38 PM »

Offline backupr9

• Grand Master
« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2020, 12:00:04 PM »
I will be traveling through Florida, GA, SC, NC, TN and VA with a Florida CCW permit.  Should be OK.  Knives are an entirely different matter.  Florida allows residents with CC permits to carry switchblades.
"Those who would sacrifice a little freedom for a little order, will lose both, and deserve neither." 
Thomas Jefferson

Endur Fortis

Offline backupr9

• Grand Master
« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2020, 12:06:35 PM »
Of current interest:
I can legally carry a concealed firearm in Georgia, but can I wear a COVID 19 protective mask while carrying concealed?
Based on our most recent research, the USCCA has identified just two states with statutes against carrying a concealed firearm while wearing a mask: California and Illinois (although sheriffs and county prosecutors in Illinois have made statements indicating that wearing a mask to protect others from COVID-19 while carrying a gun isn’t illegal as long as the wearer isn’t wearing the mask while committing a crime). Due to the large number of inquiries, some states have publicly addressed their laws regarding wearing masks, clarifying that they actually refer to individuals concealing their identity with the intention to commit illegal acts or to specifically hide their identity, and do not address wearing a mask while legally carrying a concealed firearm. Although § 16-11-38 makes it illegal to  wear a mask, to conceal the identity of the wearer, on April 13, 2020, the Governor issued Executive Order No. 04.13.20.02 related to the COVID-19 emergency, ordering that § 16-11-38 shall not apply to any person wearing “a mask for the purpose of complying with the guidance of any healthcare agency or to prevent the spread of COVID-19.

If you have further questions, we recommend that you reach out to your local law enforcement office, or district attorney.
"Those who would sacrifice a little freedom for a little order, will lose both, and deserve neither." 
Thomas Jefferson

Endur Fortis

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #20 on: October 05, 2020, 01:29:03 PM »
That sounds like a sticky wicket.

Offline MikeInTexas

• Grand Master
  • Hello from Texas
« Reply #21 on: October 05, 2020, 03:22:59 PM »
For those interested in Glocks, this is the part I purchased this weekend.  After reading reviews on the internet I hope it works as well as they say.

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #22 on: October 05, 2020, 04:11:57 PM »
Is that an extended slide stop? Here is some 7 year old anecdotal discussion on it.
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?138423-TR-Graham-Match-Grade-Slide-Lock-(for-Glock)
« Last Edit: October 05, 2020, 04:46:31 PM by tracker »

Offline MikeInTexas

• Grand Master
  • Hello from Texas
« Reply #23 on: October 05, 2020, 08:50:13 PM »
Ugh, thanks for that link tracker. Not good to see unreliable parts out there.

I got the barrel lock, not the slide lock.  It's the part that you use for take-down, locks against the barrel when it goes into battery.  Not the piece that holds the slide back when the last round fires.

(I mis-wrote that in a previous post.  Sorry for the confusion.)

However, if I encounter any issues, that will be the first part returned to original setup.

Looked last night and saw a lot of positive stuff about it lately.  Hopefully it's resolved.

He is an interesting guy (can be a bit grumpy) got a history lesson about the Glock and all it's individual features.  Nothing Gaston did was new, but his genius was putting together a group of folks that made this thing work.

He recommended a book about the history, may have to check it out.  He talked about the two pieces of the trigger safety, came from a revolver made in the late 1800's.  The main designer did not get the credit he deserves for his work and is now working for another company doing innovative things there.

« Last Edit: October 05, 2020, 09:06:17 PM by MikeInTexas »

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #24 on: October 05, 2020, 08:55:28 PM »
Thanks; I thought that it was interesting that he now calls it a "Match Grade Barrel Lock" instead of an extended slide stop.

Offline MikeInTexas

• Grand Master
  • Hello from Texas
« Reply #25 on: October 05, 2020, 08:57:43 PM »
I think a lot of folks (me included apparently) get the names confused quite easily.

Edited my previous post while you typed in your last one.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/handguns/Anyone_install_the_T_R_Graham_match_grade_barrel_lock_/13-144430/

« Last Edit: October 05, 2020, 08:59:53 PM by MikeInTexas »

Offline MikeInTexas

• Grand Master
  • Hello from Texas
« Reply #26 on: October 05, 2020, 09:03:48 PM »
I got the part to aid in disassembly.

If I get a boost in accuracy it's just a bonus.  If reliability suffers then it becomes a liability and will be taken off.

However, I am well aware that the stock pistol probably shoots better than I can, and an increase in accuracy might go unnoticed..

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #27 on: October 05, 2020, 09:14:16 PM »
Why would he change the name of the part?

Offline MikeInTexas

• Grand Master
  • Hello from Texas
« Reply #28 on: October 05, 2020, 09:41:16 PM »
Don't know.  Maybe for better understanding what the part does to the general public?  Possibly because it primarily interacts with the barrel and not the slide?

Slide stop vs. slide lock will get some of us speaking/posting incorrectly on occasion:)

One other thing I noticed, sometimes manufactures call the slide stop a slide lock.

In that thread you posted, it seems to be like a lot of things discussed in the gun community.  Some see no point, some love it, some hate the idea of it.

« Last Edit: October 05, 2020, 09:45:49 PM by MikeInTexas »

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #29 on: October 05, 2020, 09:47:14 PM »
There is a big difference in"Match Grade Barrel Lock" and slide stop or slide lock nomencature. It almost sounds like he changed the name because of some bad press on his earlier version. It just looks like a solution in search of a problem with some possible downsides.