Author Topic: For Sale: R9S, two holsters (Michigan)  (Read 14869 times)

Offline Michigunner

• Grand Master
Re: For Sale: R9S, two holsters (Michigan)
« Reply #30 on: December 15, 2005, 10:35:21 PM »
I'm trying to be more outgoing and always maintain a cheerful, positive attitude.

This is the first day on the new program.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2005, 10:36:07 PM by Michigunner »

Offline Michigunner

• Grand Master
« Reply #31 on: December 15, 2005, 10:38:47 PM »
Chris,

We were hoping you would make a video about assembly of the little dickens.

Thank you for considering it.

If anybody can do it, you are the guy.

Offline Brenden

• Grand Master
  • Farmie!!!
« Reply #32 on: December 15, 2005, 10:45:20 PM »
Brenden - I took some vid today but - tell ya what - Murphy watches such things and if there is gonna be something not go right - he'll make sure it happens!  Like getting things aligned which usually go fine - no - he'll make em tricky!  other thing too is trying to do habit things different just so camera gets a good view!

Not even sure yet if the darned vid cam is OK - re motor noise and the AGC is crazy - cuts in at slightest peak.  Oh well - whatever comes out of this will be "MkI'' vid set - because I doubt I'll be pleased at all and will redo it later.  Plus you guys will have to endure a Limey accent too :D

Chris,
You are able to do more than myself in this end..

It will be great-accent and all.. ;) ;D 8)

Thanks for all your trouble-it will help and be a service to MANY.. 8)

Brenden
NRA Life Patron Member
GOA
Molon Labe

Offline Rocnerd

• Master
« Reply #33 on: December 15, 2005, 11:11:23 PM »
You guys need to get a Ruger MK II and take it apart and put it back together then you'll ready for anything! :o ::) :P 8)

Yeah, I still don't remember which way to hold the thing and when to pull the trigger, when to hold it, and when to release it.  I just keep messing with it until I get it right.  

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #34 on: December 15, 2005, 11:23:47 PM »
Bill,
I'm pulling for you on your good, happy, glad program;
hope I can get on the same bandwagon.

Offline TW

• Grand Master
For Sale: R9S, two holsters (Michigan)
« Reply #35 on: December 16, 2005, 11:27:30 AM »
Brenden - I took some vid today but - tell ya what - Murphy watches such things and if there is gonna be something not go right - he'll make sure it happens!  Like getting things aligned which usually go fine - no - he'll make em tricky!  other thing too is trying to do habit things different just so camera gets a good view!

Not even sure yet if the darned vid cam is OK - re motor noise and the AGC is crazy - cuts in at slightest peak.  Oh well - whatever comes out of this will be "MkI'' vid set - because I doubt I'll be pleased at all and will redo it later.  Plus you guys will have to endure a Limey accent too :D

>>Hi Chris...

I have a proposition for you...  Last summer I took ~100 pics of Eric completely stripping, rebuilding, and lubing the R9.  Without going into details...I took these pics on a floppy disk format which just recently I put on one of those little memory keys.    

There are a few things yet to be done with these pics before they would be useful to anyone, and include...putting the pics in order, formatting them for e-mail, and the biggie - putting captions on the pics - some of which are rather detailed in function.

Now...if you would be willing to take on this project from here, giving credit where credit is due - I'd be happy to send you the memory key with all the pics as they are.  I know Eric wanted a copy of the final product as well.  If interested, shoot me a PM or e-mail with your land address and I will get them out to you sometime next week.

One of the reasons I haven't done much with the pics has to do with their quality...nothing like anything you or others around here would do...some of them may not even be all that useful.

So...what do you say...?...TW<<

Offline WatchTimes

• Sharpshooter
Re: For Sale: R9S, two holsters (Michigan) be hone
« Reply #36 on: December 16, 2005, 01:00:35 PM »
Wow I hope somone does something with that!
I would love to see a set of pics like that as I am about due to take down my Rohrbaugh for the first time and to be honest I am a little nervous about doing it.
"You won't rise to the occasion - you'll default to your level of training."
Barrett Tillman

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
  • Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
« Reply #37 on: December 16, 2005, 01:56:31 PM »
Hey TW - that could work!

I will PM you soon.  Main thing would be to have the pics - I can enhance, tweak etc if some are needy of it - and then make up a stills sequence video deal.
Chris - R9S
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
R9 FAQ Site
NRA Life member and Certified Instructor.

Offline theirishguard

• Grand Master
  • In Memoriam: 1941 to 2013
    • irishguardfirearmsltd.com
« Reply #38 on: December 16, 2005, 05:34:45 PM »
Bill, me thinks you just trying to be nice before Christmas! :o
Tom
Tom Watson, DVC , Quis Separabit ,  Who dares wins, Utrinque Paratus

Offline MountainMan

• Grand Master
  • MountainMan Dave
« Reply #39 on: December 16, 2005, 09:05:20 PM »
Bill
When you started this thread in frustration you never visioned the good that would come of it, having just viewed Chris's great strip and assembly video.  And with TW's photos maybe some more great stuff to come.  Your frustration has resulted in something that will help many.  Almost like watching "A Wonderful Life".

Besides Bill look how relaxed you are now.
Dave
"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but the moments that take our breath away..."

Offline Michigunner

• Grand Master
« Reply #40 on: December 17, 2005, 08:04:22 PM »
Thanks for your kindness.  I am, of course, embarrassed because of acting like a two-year old.

The re-assembly has been done here twice now.

Next time, there should be no trouble whatsoever.

The only thing I'm not confident about is getting the barrel level.  I know the pin will not go in, if the "hole" in the barrel is not up/down by the correct amount.

Achieving a successful assembly is like being born again.  You are washed with a sense of  pride, confidence, and contentment.

Bill

Offline mefly2

« Reply #41 on: December 17, 2005, 08:36:40 PM »
Any of you guys ever do Lugers?[ in the spirit of thread drift ]

Yep, and bought several in pieces when the owners could not reassemble!

Merry Christmas
mefly2

Offline sslater

• Master
« Reply #42 on: December 17, 2005, 10:51:16 PM »
Guys,
Breaking down & reassembling the R9 isn't that hard - it you have a tapered stick & a small punch.  A vise helps the first couple of times until you get the hang of it.

Disassembly:
 The trick is to slide your tapered stick (I have a RJ Hedley Stop Stick) until the hole in the left side of the slide and the pin in the frame are exactly lined up.
 Then MARK A LINE ON THE STICK WHERE IT JUST MEETS THE BARREL SHROUD.  (You need that index mark for easy reassembly.)
 The pin will drive out without any drama.

The recoil spring, guide and cup don't seem to be that troublesome.  I've been doing it with just my fingers, but a pliers makes it really easy.  Again, once you get the hang of it, fingers work fine.  Just be careful not to launch that cup into some dark corner of the basement!

Reassembling the slide to the frame:
 After reinstalling the barrel & recoil spring assembly into the slide, put the slide back on the frame.
 Rack the slide back far enough to put the tapered stick in to the scribed mark.
 Lay the gun on its right side, put the pin into the large hole on the left side of the slide while holding the gun still with your left hand.
 Use your right index finger to keep pressure on the barrel's muzzle & your middle finger to push the slide back a little.    The pin will index with the hole in the frame & the kidney-shaped hole in the barrel lug. Push the pin home with your thumb and / or punch.
 Done!! 8)    

Now take it apart again.  And again.  And again.  After a few cycles it gets pretty routine.  Lots easier than a .22 Ruger Mark II.

Much easier than changing a generator in a 1955 Ford V8.  Stupid buggers riveted a splash shield to the frame.  The generator was assembled to the engine before the engine was dropped into the chassis.  You couldn't get to the generator bolts without removing the splash shield.  But you couldn't get to the splash shield with the generator in place.  And this 13 year old kid wanted to be a car mechanic, so his dad let him change that stupid generator.  Took 5 hours.  Only about 30 minutes after dad cut the shield away.  He kept asking if I wanted help - and he let me fail.  He was an impatient guy, but somehow he just bit his tongue and let me struggle until I learned.  ;D

Offline TW

• Grand Master
For Sale: R9S, two holsters (Michigan)
« Reply #43 on: December 18, 2005, 03:47:39 AM »
>>Chris...

I sent the pics out to you today (Saturday 17th)...hopefully you will get them witrhout delay from the Christmas mail rush.  I hope you can do magical things with them...TW<<

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
  • Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
« Reply #44 on: December 18, 2005, 01:36:04 PM »
Thx TW - I'll let you know when here and I have looked 'em over.  Probably then give you a call to discuss.
Chris - R9S
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
R9 FAQ Site
NRA Life member and Certified Instructor.