Author Topic: Aluminum Grips are Here!!!!!  (Read 20846 times)

Offline IDM

• Expert
  • What you can't see can hurt you!! Predator UAV
Re: Aluminum Grips for sale soon!!
« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2007, 08:54:49 PM »
Me again
Dose anyone have a pic or 2 of the original Alu grips the were on the first R9?? refering to what Richard S said.
Thanks
Bryce
Bryce Proctor
Owner IDM llc
Predator and Predator B  Mfg. Engineer

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2007, 07:12:05 AM »
Bryce:

Here you go:

Source: http://www.gunweek.com/2002/feature0310.html

[Note: The slide stop shown in the foregoing photograph of the R9 prototype was determined to be a nonessenttial feature for the pistol's design and was not carried forward into the production phase.]
« Last Edit: November 14, 2007, 04:40:14 PM by Richard_S »
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline theirishguard

• Grand Master
  • In Memoriam: 1941 to 2013
    • irishguardfirearmsltd.com
« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2007, 11:51:19 AM »
how time flies :o   Tom
Tom Watson, DVC , Quis Separabit ,  Who dares wins, Utrinque Paratus

Offline Novanglus

• Molon labe!
« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2007, 11:41:28 AM »
... and yes the allen heads are thin enough to be flush. ...

Are these allen head screws off-the-shelf or have you modified them for fit?  If they are standard, will they fit in the regular grips or would the grip holes require some enlargement?  It would be excellent if you've come up with a fix for the stripping problem.
The price of liberty is eternal vigilance.  Patrick Henry

Offline IDM

• Expert
« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2007, 07:54:54 PM »
OK
So Im still working on things. But here is a quick look at the grips.

Dont look at checkering its not what Im going to do, I was just checkin cutter depth.

The radius in the grip is incorrect because the Alu is thinner than I programed for.
Both of these things will be worked out in time.

And it also is not black anodized yet.

Thanks for looking
Bryce

Bryce Proctor
Owner IDM llc

Offline theirishguard

• Grand Master
  • In Memoriam: 1941 to 2013
    • irishguardfirearmsltd.com
« Reply #20 on: November 15, 2007, 08:24:20 PM »
nice, let us know.  Tom
Tom Watson, DVC , Quis Separabit ,  Who dares wins, Utrinque Paratus

Offline IDM

• Expert
« Reply #21 on: November 15, 2007, 09:53:11 PM »

Are these allen head screws off-the-shelf or have you modified them for fit?  If they are standard, will they fit in the regular grips or would the grip holes require some enlargement?  It would be excellent if you've come up with a fix for the stripping problem.

Yes the bolts are stock off the shelf. But no they will not work with the original grips, without modification. They would need to be counterboard to fit the bolt head.

Bryce
Bryce Proctor
Owner IDM llc

Offline Novanglus

• Molon labe!
« Reply #22 on: November 16, 2007, 06:55:17 PM »
 Yes the bolts are stock off the shelf. But no they will not work with the original grips, without modification. They would need to be counterboard to fit the bolt head.  Bryce

I'd be interested in reaming out a set of my G-10 grips to accommodate the hex head bolts.  Could you please provide the specs to these bolts - the size, thread, etc.

Offline shakermountain

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #23 on: November 17, 2007, 08:51:26 PM »
My understanding is that the original bolts (screws) are 2.5 mm (dia.) x 6 mm (length) x .5 mm (thread pitch) The length is overall as they are flat head screws. Socket head screws would be measured from the underside of the head and so would be closer to 3mm length. These would either have to be made custom, or special ordered from most fastener specialty shops.

I have a number of  2.5 mm x 6 mm x .5 mm flat head screws in hardened steel (with a black oxide finish that won't rust in normal use).

These would not allow the hex wrench to cam out (strip), but would break the locktite free first. this would effectively solve the stripping problem. I'm going to use them in my stealth R9, because they're black. These would eliminate the need for reaming out your C10 grips. anyone need some of these?  

Also - and this is huge! -  successfully installed photoluminescent (not tritium - they apparently shatter during firing) night sites in my R9. Drilled shallow pockets in the sights to hold the PL sight dots in place. The effect is awesome. No trouble aiming  - even in total darkness. Pics to follow.

Offline CaptBW

• Master
« Reply #24 on: November 18, 2007, 02:45:37 AM »
Shaker,

You continue to post very interesting information. Thank you.
ACTA NON VERBA

Offline IDM

• Expert
« Reply #25 on: November 19, 2007, 01:02:40 PM »
The bolt that Im using is of the shelf, But they are not Metric screws I dont know if there are diffrent screw sizes used, throught production. The size that is used in my r9 are 3-48"s
If more specs are needed let me know.
As shaker said there are these bolts with in a counter sunk style, with a sloted screwdriver drive this may  be the best way to keep from stripping.

My understanding is that the original bolts (screws) are 2.5 mm (dia.) x 6 mm (length) x .5 mm (thread pitch) The length is overall as they are flat head screws. Socket head screws would be measured from the underside of the head and so would be closer to 3mm length. These would either have to be made custom, or special ordered from most fastener specialty shops.

I have a number of  2.5 mm x 6 mm x .5 mm flat head screws in hardened steel (with a black oxide finish that won't rust in normal use).

These would not allow the hex wrench to cam out (strip), but would break the locktite free first. this would effectively solve the stripping problem. I'm going to use them in my stealth R9, because they're black. These would eliminate the need for reaming out your C10 grips. anyone need some of these?  

Also - and this is huge! -  successfully installed photoluminescent (not tritium - they apparently shatter during firing) night sites in my R9. Drilled shallow pockets in the sights to hold the PL sight dots in place. The effect is awesome. No trouble aiming  - even in total darkness. Pics to follow.
Bryce Proctor
Owner IDM llc

Offline shakermountain

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #26 on: November 20, 2007, 08:35:35 PM »
You're right IDM, oddly enough 3 x 48 tpi and 2.5 mm x .50 tpm are almost identical in size, and I forgot are practically interchangable most of the time. I misread the guage (again- eyes gettin' older, I guess) The screws I have are 3 x 48 x 1/4", black oxide flat head, (countersunk) with a hex key drive,  identical in size to the stainless steel screws that come with the R9, but are hardened steel, so the drive socket wont cam out like they tend to in the stainless. Im still struggling with my personal web space FTP site, and plan to  post pics of everything I've mentioned here over the holiday weekend. These screws seem to disappear when installed, blending right in with the C10.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2007, 08:37:04 PM by shakermountain »

Offline alfonso2501

« Reply #27 on: November 23, 2007, 07:24:57 PM »
Does anyone think checkered grips will negate the need for skateboard tape?

Offline shakermountain

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #28 on: November 24, 2007, 12:35:59 PM »
Alfonso,
Below is a copy of the post that has the image of the checkering, taken from another thread ("After-Market Aluminum Grips")

To answer your question from my perspective, checkering completely negates the need for any type of friction tape, etc on the grips:

OK guys, as promised here's a test image (that I hope will come up) showing my C10 grips with the checkering. I can do this same pattern on any grips, though on older grips it would be altered a little because the RB logo is in a slightly different location.  Cost shipped 1st 48 $39.00 1 week or so turnaround. I'll copy this post to classifieds too.

This checkering dramatically improves handling on CF grips. I can easily draw from a tight pocket with thumb and one fingertip no matter where they land on the checkering, even with dripping wet fingers.

Also shown are the black oxide screws I have that will not socket-strip when removed, even when locktited.

If this image comes thru I'll post one a little later on showing the night sites I've installed.

Offline Novanglus

• Molon labe!
« Reply #29 on: November 24, 2007, 01:25:20 PM »
Does your price include a set of the the black oxide allen-head screws fitted to the grips?