Author Topic: SOLD... Early R9s for sale $1,000 w/extras  (Read 22302 times)

Offline sharp

• Expert
Re: Early R9s for sale Reduced to $950 w/extras
« Reply #45 on: March 18, 2005, 02:35:38 PM »
I checked out the link to your ad on gunbroker.com.  Isn't this the R9 that has had 3000 + rounds through it?  I didn't see any mention of this in the ad  :o  None of my business but that doesn't seem quite right especially since you're calling it mint.  It would seem more fair to me to use Chris' description hyping it as a collectors piece in order to justify the high reserve rather than just describing it as "mint" with no mention of the unusually high round count.  I would definitely feel "burned" if I was the buyer and this was not disclosed.  Yeah, I know that Eric and Karl gave it a cleam bill of health, but still; it bears at least mentioning in a for sale ad IMHO.

Offline Mr_Jody_Hudson

• Expert
Re: Early R9s for sale $1,000 w/extras
« Reply #46 on: March 18, 2005, 06:28:31 PM »
Do you shoot your guns????

I have never owned a gun that could not be shot.  

I have Glocks and Berettas and Keltecs and some more.  The Rohrbaugh has been shot less than any of them.  

If you are looking for an unfired gun, mine is not it.  If you are looking for a mint condition gun where you can not see any wear to speak of... then mine is fine.  

I did not list it as mint.  The fellow who put it on Gunbroker took the photos and the put them and the description on there.  I sent him the one used by Chris.  If you look at the top of the barrel - because of the bank-vault tight lockup there are some tiny scuff marks that show the slide has been worked.  There is no other evidence that the gun has been fired.  The Rohrbaugh is a FINE and damned near perfect pistol.  If you are looking for a safe-queen and one to be kept unfired in the box, you should buy one new.

Sorry but I get very frustrated by those who take the position that a modern firearm is only good for a few thousand rounds.  That was somewhat true in the early 1800s.  This is not a gun of that era.  The metalurgy, the fit, the finish, do not show wear - as it should be.  It has not been used as a hammer as cowboys did in the 1800s and it has only been shot with proper ammo and it has been gone over by Rohrbaughs.  

Sorry if I sound irritated but I go through this with the decidedly unknowledgable in gun shops all the time.  And have found that not one of them could tell if a gun had been fired a million times on none.  And I don't recall any of them buying a used gun either.  I should probably not post this but I really don't KNOW how many rounds I've shot the gun.  

I am a shooter and I like shooting.  I have never counted the rounds of any gun I've fired.  I have often estimated, when asked to and I just try to guess how many times I've shot the gun and about how many hours I shot it and guessed from that the number of rounds.  I shoot for relaxation by myself usually or with one other person and the absolute last thing we care about is how many rounds we shoot.  We care about the accuracy, reliability, and ease of shooting.  We do chronos etc.  

The Rohrbaugh is good to shoot, FANTASTICALLY accurate for it's size and kind, very, very, reliable with proper ammo and it is the most well made gun I have ever had in my hand.  Number of rounds through this gun is minimal in my opinion.  

Since the gun is perfect.  How many cents should I reduce it in price for each round shot?  Please tell me how to tell how many rounds have been shot through it... I can not tell as the gun is still as perfect as it was new or most likely better as it has been broken in and sent back to the factory for checking and sent back.  Most high-end pistols tell you to shoot them hundreds or thousands of times to break them in!  

Since this one is broken in and been to the factory and back I am raising the price.

The price is now $1,000 and may go up again soon.  Would you like to purchase it?
Delaware Real Estate = http://www.Kate-Jody.com

Offline Wayne

• Expert
« Reply #47 on: March 18, 2005, 07:33:24 PM »
The current ad refers to the bore and finish as mint.

To a large extent, I agree with Jody.  If you were to happen upon his R9(s) at a collector show, pawn shop, etc., you would most likely have to rely upon your own assessment of the bore, feed ramp, overall condition, identifiable wear, etc. to evaluate whether or not the price of the gun was commensurate with the condition/quality.  It isn't always possible to acquire the history of each used firearm, but in this case, Jody has been more than honest about the use.  That's both a blessing and a curse in that there can be no speculation about exactly what you are getting, but it also appears to have put off some buyers.

I don't have a problem with Jody using Chris' description because:
1. Jody is trying to make a sale;
2. The description of the product is accurate, and;
3. If the number of rounds isn't important to the buyer, and he doesn't ask, and it fit's his needs, everyone is happy.

The fact that it has been recently reconditioned by the factory, and there is someone there that can speak to it's condition and authenticity, at least to me, is reminiscent of the same "pre-certified" automobile programs in use today.  Still, this does not address the currently intangible historic/collector value or the gun, which is probably destined to be significant.

What I have been wondering in the back of my mind since this gun was put up for auction is why didn't the R bros buy this back as anonymous buyers?  That purchase would have, in my mind, solidified the R9 as a sound investment which holds it's value well.  All this time, the gun price has gone down and back up and has been the subject of endless discussion as to exactly what it's value is.  The factory could have established a value benchmark.  Well, it's an interesting strategy to discuss, anyway.

This may all be academic as there is a $1000 bid on his auction, which shows the reserve has been met.

Offline sharp

• Expert
« Reply #48 on: March 18, 2005, 08:34:48 PM »
Yes, I do shoot my guns.  But I don't think I'll ever shoot thousands of rounds through my R9.  I agree with others in that it is a gun to be "carried alot and shot a little".  I do have faith that it will last for many, many more rounds than I will ever shoot through it.  I will, once every month or two take it out, shoot the carry ammo with which it's been loaded through it, shoot another box of ammo through it, then clean, reload, and put it back in my pocket.  I'm sure that the R9 is good for many thousands of rounds, however I would not expect it to have the same life expectancy of a full sized Glock or such.  Thus, round count would be important to know, for me, if purchasing a used "pocket gun" such as the R9.  And I would definitely shy away from one that had had thousands of rounds already shot through it, especially if I could purchase a new one for less money (forgetting for a moment the supposed "collectability" of your earlier R9).  Wayne is correct, that if I bought a gun at a gun show or something (used) that I'd have no way to find out how many rounds had been shot through a gun; I'd have to rely on my own assessment of its' condition.  I know you're certainly not required to provide this information as the seller.  And, kudos to you, as Wayne pointed out, you've already exceeded your reserve price, so more power to you. ;D

Offline Mr_Jody_Hudson

• Expert
« Reply #49 on: March 18, 2005, 10:52:38 PM »
Sharp,

Do you have a Rohrbaugh yet?  

And, thanks!  To both of you for your viewpoints and comments.  I did get my neck hairs up a bit and will in the future over such... because of decades of listening to such questions from behind the counter of a gun shop.  And today, earlier a fellow was making a comment about the condition of a first generation Glock 19 that was in new condition and is for sale for $350.  The fellow, a now deceased cop I understand, had bought a case of ammo and the gun when he retired and had shot most of the case - the rest came in with the gun.  I suppose a member of the family had brought it in to sell.  There were several old fellows in there who came in to advise another about buying a Glock 19 and the guy wanted to save some money.  There was a lot of discussion about how much the glock was hurt by shooting most of a case of ammo.  THAT discussion ruffled my feathers too.  

And, if I get these medical bills paid and decide to buy another Rohrbaugh and it has SIXTY THOUSAND ROUNDS THROUGH IT... I will not consider that too used.  My terms will be, send it to the factory and have the brothers check it out, if I can not see anything wrong with it... and that pistol will be worth the same ammount to me as one in the same condition with NINE rounds through it... UNLESS the Rohrbaughs tell me there is some reason to change my mind on this viewpoint of mine. ;D ;D ;D :P
« Last Edit: March 18, 2005, 10:54:15 PM by Mr_Jody_Hudson »

Offline sharp

• Expert
« Reply #50 on: March 19, 2005, 12:02:20 PM »
Mr. Hudson,
Yes, I was able to acquire my R9S in August of 2004.  Sorry for ruffling some feathers :-[.  
Best wishes,
Jeff

Offline Mr_Jody_Hudson

• Expert
« Reply #51 on: March 20, 2005, 03:14:15 PM »
GREAT... My feathers DO ruffle easily some days!  Sorry and thanks for the understanding!   ;D

Offline Mr_Jody_Hudson

• Expert
Re: SOLD... Early R9s for sale $1,000 w/extras
« Reply #52 on: April 04, 2005, 06:18:54 AM »
Rohrbaugh sold for $1,000 to a person in Florida.  Don't know who it was as it went from my FFL to another in FLA.

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
  • Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
« Reply #53 on: April 04, 2005, 12:42:46 PM »
Glad you finally got the sale Jody - hope things panning out better for you. :)
Chris - R9S
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
R9 FAQ Site
NRA Life member and Certified Instructor.

Offline Mr_Jody_Hudson

• Expert
« Reply #54 on: April 05, 2005, 03:00:51 PM »
Thanks Chris!

I am still in a rough spot physically... otherwise I'm JUST FINE... I just keep reminding myself that rough parts are just parts... there are a lot of other parts that are smooth and cooooool.   ;D

Offline TW

• Grand Master
SOLD... Early R9s for sale $1,000 w/extras
« Reply #55 on: April 05, 2005, 06:11:57 PM »
>>Hi Jody...

Although it saddens me to hear you had to sell your R9, I can understand your reasons for letting it go, and I too am glad you got your price on that early R9 critter.

I sincerely hope you find relief for your back pain.  This is something I can totally relate to...having had two failed surgeries over a ten year stretch, and eventually finding myself forced out of my career due to work related physical disabilities.  

Life after a 26 year career I loved was hard at first, but I eventually adjusted.  Now I own two businesses and have found I rather like being my own boss...!  So when I need to lay down - I do.  I think my back pain over the years has been hardest on my loving wife...because she has had to LIVE with me - lol...!

I realize there is little I can do for you personally...However, if you ever need an ear to bend I will gladly make myself available!  And I hope you can eventually find the CCW gun of your dreams!!  These days when I'm not carrying my R9 I usually have my Glock 26 or 30 with me...allowing me with 13 (9mm) or 11 (.45) shots, respectively.  If you are looking for more rounds, you might consider one of the Baby Glocks.  With or without mag extensions I can shoot either gun very well...and they are fairly easy to conceal...my two cents...TW<<

Offline Mr_Jody_Hudson

• Expert
« Reply #56 on: April 05, 2005, 10:14:28 PM »
Thanks for your understanding Chris.

When I get down to the minimums; I get down to a Keltec with 13 rounds of 9mm, my Glock 19 and my Intratec .38 double auto derringer.  The last time I had to sell all my guns the G19 was next to last and the Intratec was the only one that survived and I still have that.  I do not even find where they were ever made...