Author Topic: Early R9s for Sale  (Read 6421 times)

Offline BlueC2

• Grand Master
  • Forum Contributor
Re: Early R9s for Sale
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2013, 10:34:58 AM »
A few pistols with slides bearing the "R9s" and "Farmingdale" engravings were sent in for service after the factory's move and received new slides engraved "R9" and "Deer Park." These are the so-called "Deerdales." There aren't many "Deerdales" out there and that rarity alone makes them attractive to some collectors. However, since the R9s are not issued in strict serial-number order, the only way to identify a "Deerdale" is to know its history. 

Richard, I say this with all due respect to a long time forum member, but I disagree with your perceived notion that a “Deerdale” is somehow more collectable than a properly marked R9s Farmingdale.
As a Rohrbaugh collector a “Deerdale” is my own personal worst nightmare – sorry to any Deerdale owners out there. It means a gun that was at one point a Farmingdale production gun, and marked as such, was sent into the factory and was returned with a slide now marked “Deer Park” usually with the new (ugly) block text. If I wanted to I am sure I could send all my Farmingdales into the Factory for re-warranty or something and there is a good chance they would come back with new “Deer Park” slides – this is NOT what you want!
My own personal view of a collectable Rohrbaugh is as follows, with the more of the following features making it more collectable and thus more valuable:
1.   Silver Frame
2.   No R Prefix serial number – the earlier the better
3.   Slide marked “R9s” if the gun has sights
4.   Farmingdale, NY engraved on the slide
5.   Factory original Blue carbon Fiber grips
The more of these the better!
This gun appears to have 3 of the 5 criteria making it very collectable, as it is farily rare for a R-prefix gun to be marked R9s. The only guns that would be more desirable would be a silver frame or Pre R prefix gun with the same configuration, or both a silver frame, pre R prefix gun.
I think the $1,800 is a very fair price point if the gun is indeed marked Farmingdale and R9s. Good luck with the sale and as was stated above good pictures would help sell this gun.
V/R,
Ryan
Currently looking for Elite Premium RP 1 of 16. Please PM 
NRA LIFE MEMBER.

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2013, 03:31:15 PM »

With all due respect I did not read anything in Richard's post that stated or implied a "Deerdale" is more collectible than a duly certified early Farmingdale. I wish the seller all the best in his sale.

Offline BlueC2

• Grand Master
  • Forum Contributor
« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2013, 03:55:47 PM »

With all due respect I did not read anything in Richard's post that stated or implied a "Deerdale" is more collectible than a duly certified early Farmingdale. I wish the seller all the best in his sale.

I used the quote feature to quote exactly what he said. Anyway, I'm not going to argue this, I was just trying to clear things up in case any new folks were reading this. The forum is a great resource but there is also a lot of miss-information that gets posted here. Please feel free to collect all the Deerdales you like.

-Ryan
Currently looking for Elite Premium RP 1 of 16. Please PM 
NRA LIFE MEMBER.

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2013, 04:18:33 PM »

I do not collect "Deerdales" but they are very reliable as a CCW.

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2013, 05:55:35 PM »

I used the quote feature to quote exactly what he said. Anyway, I'm not going to argue this, I was just trying to clear things up in case any new folks were reading this. The forum is a great resource but there is also a lot of miss-information that gets posted here. Please feel free to collect all the Deerdales you like.

-Ryan

Ryan:

The words in my post with regard to the so-called "Deerdales" were that their "rarity alone makes them attractive to some collectors." [Emphasis added.] I did not purport to express, to use your words, a "perceived notion that a 'Deerdale' is somehow more collectable than a properly marked R9s Farmingdale." 

Speaking of collectible and properly marked R9s Farmingdales, here is a photo of one with the frame anodized in the rare "plum" (sometimes called "bronze") color and wearing black CF grips rather than its original blues. (The blues are in my gun safe.) This R9, however, will not be up for auction. It has been my EDC since May 2004 and I intend that it will remain so until I shuffle off the mortal coil:

[Clarified reference to anodizing.]
« Last Edit: January 14, 2013, 08:33:00 AM by Richard S »
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline Andy2337

« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2013, 07:00:13 PM »
Here you go!!!

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2013, 07:05:51 PM »

Very nice; I am pulling for you on the asking price.

Offline Andy2337

« Reply #22 on: January 13, 2013, 07:14:49 PM »
So you all know!  I was one of the first customers on this firearm.  Was not looking for a collectable, just a 9mm small carry gun and found there website and order one before they were even ready to be shipped to the public. I waited several months for the actual delivery. In addition, the reason it was returned to the factory is because it was not ejecting correctly. That could have been my limp wrist, or the wrong ammo. I was informed nothing was wrong with it. They changed the spring, it was cleaned, and I was informed it would be sent back in an AS NEW condition. It was suggested that I not be taking it to the range because it was a valuable and collectable gun, and that I should treat it as such!!!     

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #23 on: January 13, 2013, 09:44:36 PM »
Those like yours are very few in number, Andy.