Author Topic: Irma now / Jose later  (Read 6094 times)

Offline MRC

• Grand Master
Irma now / Jose later
« on: September 08, 2017, 02:23:46 PM »
Norm

What's your plans?  Have you left or are you riding it out?

Offline kevinqjhps

• Grand Master
Re: Irma now / Jose later
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2017, 02:53:15 PM »
I have a friend in Miami, 40 years. He said he is ALWAYS packed for 'the big one' no matter when it hits.
He just put 3-4 more sandbag layers aroung his generator.
USMC
Disabled Vet
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
FORMER Cincy Bengals fan
Three times a week shooter
Indy resident

Those who disrespect the American flag have never been handed a folded one

Offline MRC

• Grand Master
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2017, 03:16:05 PM »
Our daughter lived in the New Orleans suburbs.  Her husband grew up in New Orleans and whenever a hurricane popped up they packed and left completely.

He said as a boy/young man he stayed for one and he was never going to do it again.  He said there is nothing you can do anyway.  If it's not as bad as predicted, you just go back early.

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2017, 03:52:01 PM »
That represents sound and logical thinking. However, several years ago it appeared that Rita had Houston bore sighted so we packed the two of us, two dogs, and my wife's aunt and mother into two cars and headed toward a relative's house in Brenham, normally a 90 minute ride. Unfortunately, everyone else had the same idea and we arrived in Brenham 14 hours later. Then, Rita took a turn and completely bypassed Houston. One can never outguess mother nature except to do all one can to protect family, self, and pets.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2017, 05:25:48 PM by tracker »

Offline tattoo

• Master
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2017, 04:02:59 PM »
That represents sound and logical thinking. However, several years ago it appeared that Rita had Houston bore sighted so we packed the two of us, two dogs, and my wife's aunt and mother into two cars and headed toward a relative's house in Brenham, normal a 90 minute ride. Unfortunately, everyone else had the same idea and we arrived in Brenham 14 hours later. Then, Rita took a turn and completely bypassed Houston. One can never outguess mother nature except to do all one can to protect family, self, and pets.
i sat on 290 for 18 hrs with a wife that was 9 months pregnant. Moved about 2hrs in that 18 hrs finally making it far enough to exit and go back home do to a gas shortage in the truck. 

Offline MRC

• Grand Master
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2017, 06:16:40 PM »
That represents sound and logical thinking. However, several years ago it appeared that Rita had Houston bore sighted so we packed the two of us, two dogs, and my wife's aunt and mother into two cars and headed toward a relative's house in Brenham, normally a 90 minute ride. Unfortunately, everyone else had the same idea and we arrived in Brenham 14 hours later. Then, Rita took a turn and completely bypassed Houston. One can never outguess mother nature except to do all one can to protect family, self, and pets.

I will say that he always left early as he was aware of the jams.  New Orleans would not be anything close the Houston in traffic though.

The company that he was working for at the time of Katrina was receiving shipments from overseas and the containers were sent to Houston because of Katrina.  While he was getting the shipments on trucks to head to their warehouse, Rita came up.  He also got caught in that jam trying to return to NO.

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2017, 07:02:03 PM »
Where do they live now?

Offline MRC

• Grand Master
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2017, 07:25:43 PM »
Where do they live now?

Our daughter died about five years ago, one child lives in NO area and the other is in College at Lafayette, La.  Our Son-in-Law started at Harley Davidson and took a job in Las Vegas.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2017, 07:59:10 PM by MRC »

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2017, 07:36:49 PM »
I am sad to hear; it is very painful to lose a child.

Offline cargaritaville

• Grand Master
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2017, 10:19:33 PM »
Norm

What's your plans?  Have you left or are you riding it out?

I am a big believer in being prepared properly for an event like this. I went to Total Wines today & bought my favorite Scotch, Johnnie Walker Black, some Rye & some Bourbon. Stocked up on Parma Prosciutto, some nice ripe tomatoes, fresh mozzarella & some fresh basil. Went to my favorite Italian bakery & stocked up on some nice round Sicilian Bread, some wine biscuits & some Almond Biscotti. Picked up some fresh roasted Italian espresso & some fresh half & half. I have some fresh Italian dough to make Margherita pizzas on the grill & some homemade Italian sweet & hot sausage along with some hard Italian rolls. We are staying put. Did I forget anything?
« Last Edit: September 08, 2017, 10:30:20 PM by cargaritaville »
Having a gun in your hand is much more effective than having the entire police department on the phone!

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2017, 11:06:22 PM »
Not at all and you began with my favorite staple: JWB.

Offline MRC

• Grand Master
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2017, 07:15:37 AM »
Good luck Norm!

The new path looks like the eye will run right over you.

Offline ECR

• Grand Master
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2017, 10:08:46 AM »
God Speed Norm............... and enjoy those provisions! You'll most likely need them!
Makers of the NRA Shooting Illustrated: "Handgun of the Year for 2005" and receiver of an NRA Golden Bullseye Award.

Offline PhilZ

• Grand Master
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2017, 10:52:22 AM »
Norm, they're talking about 12-14ft storm surge on FL's West Coast.  Are you near the coast or will you be high and dry?  I hope you stay safe if you decide to ride it out. 

Offline kevinqjhps

• Grand Master
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2017, 06:39:49 PM »
For what it's worth the best, by far, long term storage food, is Mountain House. Wise long term storage is TERRIBLE. I have a friend who if a midwest Distributor for Wise and gave me a few cases. It was so bad I through it out for the birds, birds do NOT have taste buds.  ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) 
USMC
Disabled Vet
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
FORMER Cincy Bengals fan
Three times a week shooter
Indy resident

Those who disrespect the American flag have never been handed a folded one