Author Topic: Modified Slide?  (Read 6675 times)

Offline FALLEN77

Modified Slide?
« on: October 06, 2017, 06:00:44 PM »
Has anyone ever seen this before? I've had my R9 for about 18mo and its been in my pocket ever since. The prior owner said it had been back to rohrbaugh for some repair before but I wasn't told what it was for. Williams Gunsight said they've never seen this before. It doesn't seem to be hurting anything right now but it would be impossible to remove the firing pin and spring as the retainer is now locked in because of this modification which is a major concern to me.

I wonder if anyone has seen this before and I'm hoping Eric R can enlighten me as to why this was done if in fact it was done by Rohrbaugh. The serial number on my R9 is R3810. Any feedback on this would be greatly appreciated.

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
Re: Modified Slide?
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2017, 06:07:16 PM »
Yes, there is history here on the forum about that problem where the retainer was out of place and causing problems. Eric can best answer your question.

Offline FALLEN77

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2017, 06:20:59 PM »
Thank you Tracker for the quick response, hopefully Eric will offer further explanation.

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2017, 06:38:43 PM »
Under the R9 link at the top of the home page you can scroll back to June 1, 2013 for some discussion on this subject.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2017, 06:55:30 PM by tracker »

Offline FALLEN77

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2017, 06:53:57 PM »
Thanks, I read thru that thread and it seems that this was likely the reason for the modification although I haven't seen another gun modified in the same way. I really want to know if Rohrbaugh did this or if it was someone else.

Offline MRC

• Grand Master
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2017, 07:33:49 PM »
One nice improvement that Remington did on their RM380 was to use a 1911 style firing pin stop.

Easy to remove and clean or replace the firing pin and channel.

Offline ECR

• Grand Master
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2017, 12:11:14 PM »
Hey guys, I'm back. Once again, my computer was being used as a "Host" and finally locked me out. My computer guy from IBM made it whole once again!

So, anyway, playing catchup here now.

This condition is caused by extensive shooting of the R9. That "rib" is caused by the slide going backward after you fire a round and it pushes the hammer back at that time, which is what helps with the timing and recoil absorption of the R9, along with the other two springs in the recoil assembly, making a total of three springs to handle that job function. That is wear on the slide firing pin retainer area from shooting. Now there was an issue for a short time of the firing pin retainers being too thin, but in spec, and the area of the slide where they went, also in spec, but at opposite ends of each other, hence the term "Stacking of Tolerances". The fix for that was done by Karl or I at the factory by using a punch to peen over the area to hold the firing pin retainer in place. To remove the retainer, all that is required is a flat punch to fit inside of the firing pin hole  area of the retainer and hit it downward while the slide is sitting firmly on a work bench. It will come out that way, that's how I got them out for servicing.

Hopefully you all understand the process now.

Nice to be back again!

Regards,

Eric R.
Makers of the NRA Shooting Illustrated: "Handgun of the Year for 2005" and receiver of an NRA Golden Bullseye Award.

Offline FALLEN77

« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2017, 01:34:01 PM »
Eric,
I truly appreciate you taking the time to call me this morning and for answering my question here in the forum. I certainly learned a lot about my R9 and the changes Rohrbaugh made in design and metallurgy along the way as you were crafting these fine pistols.

As you said, this gun was fired quite a bit (by me). When I purchased it I didn't recall seeing anything out of the ordinary on the frame and it actually looked unfired in every way but once I noticed the peened slide at the retainer I assumed I simply overlooked it before. now I know I am the cause of this peening because I shot the hell out of the gun when I first bought it. I know most R9 owners only shoot a mag or two once in a while but I had a few range sessions that I shot 100 or so rounds and I've gone thru 3 or 4 recoil springs. Even to qualify this pistol on my CCW license required that I fire over 70 rounds with it accurately. I wanted to prove the reliability for one, but mostly I wanted to be comfortable shooting it without worrying about the sharp recoil. I had seen a couple videos of people shooting the R9 and I noticed everyone was readjusting their grip after each shot so I made it a point to never readjust my grip when shooting, I have to say that since i've shot it so much my accuracy is pretty good with this thing and I really dont notice the recoil much anymore. Having the Hogue grips, adding some Talon rubber grip tape to the front and backstrap, and fitting the mags with a Pearce extension really helps a lot.

Thanks again Eric!

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2017, 01:39:32 PM »
Is your CCW specific to each pistol being qualified by you?

Offline FALLEN77

« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2017, 01:53:54 PM »
Yes, In California you have to qualify at 3, 5, and 7 yards with each pistol in order to add it to your permit. In orange County you can have 5 guns on your permit but I just have 3. I have the R9, a Glock 43 and a Glock 30s, I actually qualified all three at the same time so I started with the R9 then the 30s followed by the 43. I can tell you it was not an enjoyable shooting session and my hand was stinging pretty bad by the end of it.  :o

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2017, 02:37:53 PM »
They don't make it easy. Do they tie you down to s/n or is it just by model and type that could be replaced by the same model?
« Last Edit: October 13, 2017, 04:21:01 PM by tracker »

Offline offrdmania

• Expert
  • Desperately Needs Treatment
Modified Slide?
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2017, 08:00:27 PM »
They don't make it easy. Do they tie you down to s/n or is it just by model and type that could be replaced by the same model?

Serial number is listed. Here is my current California permit. Im adding my R9 this year when I go to renew it in March

« Last Edit: October 13, 2017, 08:02:05 PM by offrdmania »

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2017, 08:37:33 PM »
Thanks; I had no idea that was the case.

Offline FALLEN77

« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2017, 02:04:58 AM »
Yeah, you are only permitted to carry what's on your permit, if you're carrying something not on your permit it will pretty much get your permit revoked and you will probably never get it reinstated. They definitely don't make it easy here in California but if you live in a county that issues permits and you're willing to jump thru some extra hoops it's not too bad I guess. It wasn't too long ago that it would have been impossible to get a permit so I guess we just need to be happy that we can get a permit at all.

Offline Buffalo

• Expert
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2017, 08:36:02 AM »
I didn't know California was so restrictive. It's more restrictive than NY in that regard.

In NY you can only carry what's on your permit too. However we don't have to qualify with each firearm.

One question, if you sell one and later purchase the same model firearm later (different serial number) will you have to requalify?

Just curious
“If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
― The Dalai Lama (May 2001)