Author Topic: Looking for a full size .45  (Read 36866 times)

Offline theirishguard

• Grand Master
  • In Memoriam: 1941 to 2013
    • irishguardfirearmsltd.com
Re: Looking for a full size .45
« Reply #30 on: January 11, 2010, 12:47:56 PM »
the 1911 is in my opinion the finest fighting pistol ever made. And many real gun experts agree.   ;) :D   Tom
Tom Watson, DVC , Quis Separabit ,  Who dares wins, Utrinque Paratus

Offline Reinz

• Grand Master
« Reply #31 on: January 12, 2010, 06:40:30 AM »
Reinz.  You must have a safe just for your 1911's.  Good for you.  I do like the 1911.

They do take up half of the "pistol" part of the safes.

Reinz
NRA- LIFE  TSRA- LIFE  SASS-LIFE

Offline Reinz

• Grand Master
« Reply #32 on: January 12, 2010, 06:49:03 AM »
 The only Kimbers I have heard had issues were the 3" models. Seems the issues all went away at 4" and above.

Back when I was shooting on the team, there were not that many options ,as far as good guns went out there, so The Colt Gold Cup was where we started and then it was modified. But today's production Kimber probably outshoots our Target Pistols from 35 Years ago. At the age I am now, it is getting so all the guns outshoot me, so I am more into the Options such as Fiber optics, Light Rails, reliability, etc. Things that help offset the things I cannot help like eyes that don't focus like they used to. (and being an Engineer the mechanics of the weapon are important)

Chief

Cheif -  I understand totally!  

I'm at the age as well where my guns out shoot me!
My eyes are showing their age, as well as my hands.

However, I guess I am fortunate in that none of my 3" Kimbers ( I believe 3) have given me any trouble.

In fact, I can shoot the shorter barrels better than longer ones now.  Sounds weird, I never understood it until Massad Ayoob validated it in an article recently about older eyes doing better with a shorter sight radius.
I would have thought the opposite.

Reinz

Offline Chief-USN

• Grand Master
« Reply #33 on: January 13, 2010, 09:52:39 AM »
 Well, after doing a ton of research I have reached the opinion that One .45 is not going to be enough. I am now looking for a "Small" and fullsized. (I wish the R45 was here)

Short list for "Small" carry 45's are

Ed Brown   "Executive Carry"
Wilson Combat  "Bill Wilson Carry"
Nighthawk Custom "T-3"

Anybody have any others similar to these I need to add to my research?

Chief
« Last Edit: January 13, 2010, 09:53:03 AM by Chief-USN »
Allen
Retired Navy (1969-1992)
Viet Nam Vet
Desert Storm Vet
Lifetime NRA Member

Veteran " Freedom isn't free, I Paid for it"

Drifter8002

« Reply #34 on: January 13, 2010, 01:11:19 PM »
Chief, I had previously owned a Bill Wilson Carry and it was a fine 1911.  The only reason I parted with it is I also own a Wilson Sentinel in 9mm and size wise they are the same. I like Sentinel enough that I will not part with it .  If you have big hands you may not like the shorter grip however I find for carry purposes it is not a detraction and less printing under a shirt. They are quite accurate also.

Dollar for dollar a Wilson is hard to beat.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2010, 09:41:00 PM by Drifter8002 »

Offline Chief-USN

• Grand Master
« Reply #35 on: January 13, 2010, 01:26:41 PM »
 I saw the Wilsons and Ed Browns hold their value extremely well also. Although I probably would not be selling whatever I get. It would become something for my kids to fight over.
  I do not think I have ever heard someone that owned one of these guns saying they were not worth the money. Mostly they say "well worth it" and "you get what you payed for".

Chief
« Last Edit: January 13, 2010, 01:27:03 PM by Chief-USN »
Allen
Retired Navy (1969-1992)
Viet Nam Vet
Desert Storm Vet
Lifetime NRA Member

Offline Chief-USN

• Grand Master
« Reply #36 on: January 13, 2010, 01:30:15 PM »
Ed Brown just came out with a Massaad Ayoob Signature Carry gun. I called and talked to them about it and they told me it is mostly just an Executive carry with his signature and a stiffer trigger assy. (5-6 lbs vers. about 4)
« Last Edit: January 13, 2010, 01:30:44 PM by Chief-USN »
Allen
Retired Navy (1969-1992)
Viet Nam Vet
Desert Storm Vet
Lifetime NRA Member

Offline Reinz

• Grand Master
« Reply #37 on: January 13, 2010, 02:14:53 PM »
Well, after doing a ton of research I have reached the opinion that One .45 is not going to be enough. I am now looking for a "Small" and fullsized. (I wish the R45 was here)

Short list for "Small" carry 45's are

Ed Brown   "Executive Carry"
Wilson Combat  "Bill Wilson Carry"
Nighthawk Custom "T-3"

Anybody have any others similar to these I need to add to my research?

Chief

You said "short" list.  And that is an impressive one.  I would hate to be the one to have to decide.

Good Luck

Reinz

Offline Chief-USN

• Grand Master
« Reply #38 on: January 13, 2010, 02:26:20 PM »
 It may come down to who has the best deal on a given piece. I have several feelers out now. Found an Ed Brown Executive Carry and a T3 so far. I am hoping the Bad Economy helps me out.

Chief
« Last Edit: January 13, 2010, 02:27:16 PM by Chief-USN »
Allen
Retired Navy (1969-1992)
Viet Nam Vet
Desert Storm Vet
Lifetime NRA Member

Drifter8002

« Reply #39 on: January 13, 2010, 02:40:56 PM »
You may not want to rule out the Wilson Professional series for your small or short version.  They are a full size grip with a shorter bull barrel. Very accurate and quite obtainable as most Wilson dealers stock them.

Offline Chief-USN

• Grand Master
« Reply #40 on: January 13, 2010, 02:46:34 PM »
 It did not occur to me but The companys may also give Military Discounts.  Usually because of my years in they let me have it as a thank you.  

Chief
Allen
Retired Navy (1969-1992)
Viet Nam Vet
Desert Storm Vet
Lifetime NRA Member

Offline Chief-USN

• Grand Master
« Reply #41 on: January 13, 2010, 05:00:28 PM »
  Just checked, things are looking up, all three companies give Military Discounts. Good deal.  Would still love to find someone selling one that needs to sell it fast and cheap! Ahhh the perfect deal, although that comcination may tend to mean bad things when it comes to a gun owner wanting to get rid of a gun  ;D

Chief
« Last Edit: January 13, 2010, 05:16:01 PM by Chief-USN »
Allen
Retired Navy (1969-1992)
Viet Nam Vet
Desert Storm Vet
Lifetime NRA Member

Offline ACP

• Grand Master
« Reply #42 on: January 13, 2010, 09:45:45 PM »
Just found this string. Ah; .45ACP, my favorite round.

There is a lot of ground to cover but here goes:

1. 1911 - gold standard but not a good choice for personal defense as lawyers interpret "cock and lock" as intent when used for self defense.
2. Sig - I love the double action P220, in any configuration, and modest cost is a consideration.
3. Glock 36 - one of my personal favorites. Accurate, ugly and you never have to worry about customizing decisions (like 1911)
4. USFA 1911 - Magnificent piece but not cheap and more condusive to saving it as a "safe queen" than a daily carry
5. R45 - Doesn't exist and factory's failure to bring this to the market, (in a timely manner), despite huge market interest, is extremely disappointing in my view
Those who turn their guns into plowshares end up plowing for those that do not - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Chief-USN

• Grand Master
« Reply #43 on: January 14, 2010, 08:05:04 AM »
 The lack of R45 is one of the reasons I am looking at these higher quality pieces. They will go where I was planning on putting the R45. If I knew the R45 was coming at least within a year or so I would "settle" for a "lesser" gun until it showed. (you are right though, Glocks are ugly, and customization decisions are very limited  ;D)
Allen
Retired Navy (1969-1992)
Viet Nam Vet
Desert Storm Vet
Lifetime NRA Member

Drifter8002

« Reply #44 on: January 14, 2010, 08:33:16 AM »
The Glock's may be considered ugly by traditional standards but they are an effective tool for those who can appreciate their worth.  I found the G36 to be less appealing (to me) than the G30SF.  I carry the 30SF often and feel confident it will be there to do it's part should it be required and never a thought about it becoming a safe queen like so many other "pretty" guns.