Author Topic: Looking for a full size .45  (Read 37464 times)

Offline P7Enigma

• Master
  • VENI VIDI VICI
Re: Looking for a full size .45
« Reply #60 on: January 15, 2010, 11:39:34 AM »
Chief - I have one of these things and it is accurate as hell but, due to its size it is definetly not CQB friendly. Especially with the LAM and Knights can on it.

The smaller HKs mention in previous posts are good, have rails and some have threaded barrels which helps in two ways, one you can add a can later and two, you get just a tad more accuracy out of them due to an extra 1/2 inch of barrel length.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2010, 11:42:36 AM by P7Enigma »
DISCLAIMER The above post is not to be taken lightly nor seriously. Any readers "interpretation" of the post was purely intentional

Offline ACP

• Grand Master
« Reply #61 on: January 15, 2010, 02:02:47 PM »
When you guys use the term "can" are you referring to a silencer?
Those who turn their guns into plowshares end up plowing for those that do not - Thomas Jefferson

Offline P7Enigma

• Master
  • VENI VIDI VICI
« Reply #62 on: January 15, 2010, 02:15:57 PM »
YYYYeep! ;)
DISCLAIMER The above post is not to be taken lightly nor seriously. Any readers "interpretation" of the post was purely intentional

Offline Reinz

• Grand Master
« Reply #63 on: January 15, 2010, 03:25:48 PM »
Just found this string. Ah; .45ACP, my favorite round.

There is a lot of ground to cover but here goes:

1. 1911 - gold standard but not a good choice for personal defense as lawyers interpret "cock and lock" as intent when used for self defense.
2. Sig - I love the double action P220, in any configuration, and modest cost is a consideration.
3. Glock 36 - one of my personal favorites. Accurate, ugly and you never have to worry about customizing decisions (like 1911)
4. USFA 1911 - Magnificent piece but not cheap and more condusive to saving it as a "safe queen" than a daily carry
5. R45 - Doesn't exist and factory's failure to bring this to the market, (in a timely manner), despite huge market interest, is extremely disappointing in my view

Number 1 - very ignorant!   But who said lawyers were smart.

That remark can be difussed easily.   How is cocked and locked any different than having all rounds  chambered in a revolver?  Or  -  One in the chamber in DOA ?   At least with the 1911, you have two safeties with a 70 series style and threee with 80's series style.

70 series --    Hammer safety
                         Grip safety

80 series --    same as above
                         + Firing Pin safety

Add one more ---  the one between your ears.

Reinz
« Last Edit: January 15, 2010, 03:26:52 PM by Reinz »
NRA- LIFE  TSRA- LIFE  SASS-LIFE

Offline Chief-USN

• Grand Master
« Reply #64 on: January 15, 2010, 05:35:55 PM »
  Two more ways to stop a 1911 from firing (At you)

1. If you push hard against the barrel pushing it back against the shooter he cannot fire

2. (This one stings but is better then getting shot, Quicklymove your hand to the shooter's grip and encircle the back of the reciever with your hand, place the web of skin that is located between your thumb and finger, between the hammer and reciever then take the gun away. You may get pinched when he pulls the trigger but you will not get shot.
  (It's all relative  ;D)

Chief
Allen
Retired Navy (1969-1992)
Viet Nam Vet
Desert Storm Vet
Lifetime NRA Member

Veteran " Freedom isn't free, I Paid for it"

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #65 on: January 15, 2010, 07:05:37 PM »
Whoa!  Hope I'm never that close to the shooter.  Good to know, though.
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline P7Enigma

• Master
  • VENI VIDI VICI
« Reply #66 on: January 15, 2010, 07:27:29 PM »
My thoughts exactly...I knew of these little idiosynchrosies but anything closer than claymore distance is a bad idea.

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #67 on: January 15, 2010, 09:32:12 PM »
I'm with you there.  The Friendly Forces distance of 250 meters is where I would want to be.
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #68 on: January 16, 2010, 10:07:08 AM »
For the past three years or so I've been using a Safety Fast Shooting System from Cylinder & Slide in my principal 1911. It works like a charm. The gunsmith who installed it for me had a rather eloquent term to describe it: "That's slicker than snot!"

I think the design of this system was one reason  Bill Laughridge was given a Pistolsmith of the Year Award by the Guild.

http://www.cylinder-slide.com/sfs4.shtml
http://www.cylinder-slide.com/cond5.shtml

[size=10]Edit: Typo.[/size]
« Last Edit: January 16, 2010, 01:28:17 PM by Richard_S »
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #69 on: January 16, 2010, 11:00:28 AM »
Richard.  Good idea.  Pushing the safety off, which automaticly cocks the hammer is ingenious.

I ran across this article which disspelled my notion of carrying the 1911 cocked and locked.  I'm no longer worried about this type of carry, though, there now is a better way.  The writer of the article, must not have known about Condition Five, the SFS (Safety Fast Shooting) kit by Bill Laughridge.  I like it.  Thanks.

http://www.smartcarry.com/mainwebsite_html/cocklock.htm

Chief:  In this article is a Custom Gunmaker, Kasey Redder, in Flagstaff, AZ.  
« Last Edit: January 16, 2010, 12:23:46 PM by kjtrains »

Offline theirishguard

• Grand Master
  • In Memoriam: 1941 to 2013
    • irishguardfirearmsltd.com
« Reply #70 on: January 16, 2010, 11:13:45 AM »
Richard, Bill's SFSS also works real well in the Browning Hi-Power.   Tom
Tom Watson, DVC , Quis Separabit ,  Who dares wins, Utrinque Paratus

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
« Reply #71 on: January 16, 2010, 07:57:42 PM »
Tom:

The Browning Hi-Power is one of those handguns which I have always wanted but never acquired. It is a beautiful concept extraordinarily well executed. I was about to spring for one but fell for the HK P7 instead. If I am not mistaken, Bill Laughridge originally designed the SFS System for the Hi-Power and then adapted it for the 1911 types.
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #72 on: January 17, 2010, 01:56:34 PM »
Richard,

I had a Belgian Hi-Power hard chromed from Virgil about the same time you had your HK done by him. It is a wonderful gun to hold and to shoot.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2010, 07:03:58 PM by tracker »

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
« Reply #73 on: January 17, 2010, 07:02:29 PM »
Tracker:

Your post has brought back that old familiar feeling of need  for things long wanted but never owned -- things such as:

*  Customized Browning Hi-Power.
*  Harley-Davidson Softail.
*  Cessna 150 Aerobat.
*  Pair of matched Purdy shotguns.
*  Kanter ocean-going sloop-rigged sailboat ('49).

I begin to understand that my greatest enemy is time.
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #74 on: January 17, 2010, 07:10:46 PM »

That is some high cotton but money could assist on the father time aspect. I also remembered sending Virgil a P7M8 for a hard chrome finish. It was ANIB and I am still wondering why I had it refinished except it was beautifully done; something like fear of rust as I recall.

Some on your wish list pop up on the three Fs of economics.