Author Topic: My wife is searching for a new carry gun  (Read 21970 times)

Offline AmmoToad

• Master
  • The Toad
Re: My wife is searching for a new carry gun
« Reply #75 on: July 05, 2010, 12:33:07 AM »
Always been a fan of a hammerless revolvers such as the Smith Airweight or Ruger LCR for a lady with a purse.  They are very uncomplicated, will go “BANG” every time the trigger is pulled, no hammer or slide to snag on anything, so can, in an emergency, be fired through the purse or a pocket for those times when there is no time to pull the weapon prior to firing.  .38 +P is as good as a 9mm at the range they are intended for.  Love the .45, but for now, nobody makes a really compact one when compared to the R9….I keep my .45 by the bed and the R9S in my pocket.  

P.S. Don’t let the ideology of a laser sight diminish your desire for range time.  Seen many laser equipped shooters that couldn’t hit a paper plate at 10 yards, let alone 10 feet.  Best you can count on with a laser is to scare the assailant before you have to fire the weapon.  Laser does not equal accuracy nor does it replace practice.  Don’t give in to the false feeling a laser provides, it will not help your accuracy, just try holding one on target and see how much you move, and you move even more just as the trigger breaks, trust The Toad on this one and practice.  When your life is at stake, you won’t have time to center that red dot anyway.
American Warrior
NRA Life
Ammo Troop

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #76 on: July 05, 2010, 03:38:21 PM »
I spoke to one Local dealer that told me they have had them on order since January, another told me they last at most a day when they go on the shelf. I just checked and the Gun should arrive today. guess I need to buy .380 reloading Dies.
That should be interesting reloading tiny little bullets (Compaired to the .45)...... now where are those reading glasses :)

Chief

Chief, has the Sig 238 Titanium Rainbow Edition arrived yet?  Just curious.    :)
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline Chief-USN

• Grand Master
« Reply #77 on: July 06, 2010, 09:00:47 AM »
 Yes She received it Friday and We went to the Range Saturday with it after I cleaned and Lubed it. She shot it from 7 Yards and really likes it. She was able to control and operate the gun quite well. (She still wants a .45 though probably in a month or so).

I saw the comment on Lasers made here. I have lasers on 4 of my weapons. I have one on  my wifes S&W 642 "Snubby", One on My Nighthawk Predator, My Sig 228, and one of my Ar's.  Lasers have their place and they do increase accuracy with the Caveat of when you cannot sight Properly without risking yourself or that you have been physically impaired, ie cannot aim and fire from strong hand or you are on your back/side/etc. Firing around objects as well. If someone's laser is not accurate at a given distance it is not setup correctly. My own lasers are zero'd at 50 Feet.  Combat accuracy is more then achieved within that range. Lasers have their place. Even in Law enforcement the average hit ratio skyrockets when lasers are used. I don't practice an overly abundant time at the range I average about 600 Rounds per month and my wife averages 200 per month. But I do practice. We turn the lasers off when we go to the range (And sometimes I swap grips). Lasers are also good for the elderly whose eyesight and shakiness is an issue. They can pick up the red dot fairly easily when in a panic mode.  There are many examples where lasers saved the situation.  The military knows this as well.  Being an anti Laser person is limiting oneself from another tool that could save your life.

Chief
« Last Edit: July 06, 2010, 09:06:21 AM by Chief-USN »
Allen
Retired Navy (1969-1992)
Viet Nam Vet
Desert Storm Vet
Lifetime NRA Member

Veteran " Freedom isn't free, I Paid for it"

Offline AmmoToad

• Master
  • The Toad
« Reply #78 on: July 06, 2010, 09:15:53 AM »
Point well taken on the lasers Chief.  I do understand what you mean and that they can be beneficial to many, even in a combat situation.  I just wouldn’t want someone to rely on them thinking they will provide 100% accuracy.  Seen many folk think so, and be disappointed, most didn’t even realize the lasers needed to be sighted in.  Anyway, I do agree with your points on the lasers, and that is a beautiful gun you got for your wife.  Can’t go wrong with a Sig…
American Warrior
NRA Life
Ammo Troop

Offline Chief-USN

• Grand Master
« Reply #79 on: July 06, 2010, 09:25:48 AM »
 I think Sigs are great guns as well. They are a "Real" gun company and have been among the best Military's in the world. They tend to hold prices down as well. My 228 is over 20 years old and eats everything I feed it. I don't even think about it not working.
   My wife loves her "Rainbow" , she also found a "Carry Purse" from Coronado Leather she really likes. And that is a tall order if she likes a purse, the quality has to be there so if any of your wives are interested look them up. The price was reasonable as well.  Galco purses were $300 and she did not care for them due to the stiff leather which would scratch after while, the Coronado leather purses were made of a slightly softer leather and cost around $150 , so in my wife's opinion at least, they were Better and Cheaper (Plus when she checked the sight, the purse she really liked was on sale).
Win Win

Chief
« Last Edit: July 06, 2010, 09:28:13 AM by Chief-USN »
Allen
Retired Navy (1969-1992)
Viet Nam Vet
Desert Storm Vet
Lifetime NRA Member

Offline yankee2500

• Grand Master
« Reply #80 on: July 06, 2010, 11:15:09 AM »
Chief,
   Congratulations on making the better half happy :D, I hope she never has to use it.

John
"THE KING OF BATTLE"

"Cha togar m' fhearg gun dìoladh"

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."
Thomas Jefferson

Offline Chief-USN

• Grand Master
« Reply #81 on: July 06, 2010, 11:22:17 AM »
 It has just begun I am afraid. Now she wants a .45 . She really liked the looks of (Looks and style are very imprtant to her) the Kimber Ultra Raptor, Then she looked at the Ultra Super Carry. When she mentioned she really liked the Raptor's grip panel design, I told her she could always put them on the Super Carry (Which in fact matches the design better) That really got her thinking. She also likes the slightly bobtailed design of the Super Carry Ultra. She did make one statement i liked, she said that for every gun she buys, I have to buy one. I Like the way she thinks!!   ;D
 Looking for a bigger safe now !
« Last Edit: July 06, 2010, 11:23:36 AM by Chief-USN »
Allen
Retired Navy (1969-1992)
Viet Nam Vet
Desert Storm Vet
Lifetime NRA Member

Offline Brenden

• Grand Master
  • Farmie!!!
« Reply #82 on: July 06, 2010, 01:51:25 PM »
It has just begun I am afraid. Now she wants a .45 . She really liked the looks of (Looks and style are very imprtant to her) the Kimber Ultra Raptor, Then she looked at the Ultra Super Carry. When she mentioned she really liked the Raptor's grip panel design, I told her she could always put them on the Super Carry (Which in fact matches the design better) That really got her thinking. She also likes the slightly bobtailed design of the Super Carry Ultra. She did make one statement i liked, she said that for every gun she buys, I have to buy one. I Like the way she thinks!!   ;D

You are a lucky one for sure!! 8)
NRA Life Patron Member
GOA
Molon Labe

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #83 on: July 06, 2010, 03:16:55 PM »

Get one like Richards!    ;D
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #84 on: July 06, 2010, 04:00:22 PM »
It has a house built around it.   ;D
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #85 on: July 06, 2010, 04:08:08 PM »
Now, there ya go, blue prints, Chief!    ;D

Offline Chief-USN

• Grand Master
« Reply #86 on: July 07, 2010, 09:08:48 AM »
 I found a really great deal on a Mac Daddy safe but I have no place  (My Wife would allow) to put it in the house, and living in Florida I do not want it outside due to humidity. So I am looking at others :( (Even though size matters in gun safes, my wife feels like she does not want it in the living room, I tried telling her it is soooo pretty and it is one of the best made, I would even let her put some of her bling in it, being the "good" husband I am) But no sale  ;D

It's dimension were 40"WX72HX28D

The one I am looking at now is  30WX60HX21D (more acceptable)

Chief

« Last Edit: July 07, 2010, 10:52:50 AM by Chief-USN »
Allen
Retired Navy (1969-1992)
Viet Nam Vet
Desert Storm Vet
Lifetime NRA Member

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #87 on: July 07, 2010, 10:06:41 AM »
Change the spare bedroom into a gunroom, and get the big one.    ;D

Offline yankee2500

• Grand Master
« Reply #88 on: July 07, 2010, 10:21:51 AM »
Time to put a small addition off the back of the house, just to the left of the kitchen. ;D

John
"THE KING OF BATTLE"

"Cha togar m' fhearg gun dìoladh"

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."
Thomas Jefferson

Offline Chief-USN

• Grand Master
« Reply #89 on: July 07, 2010, 10:54:32 AM »
 Already have spread out and filled. Other problem is that I live in a 100 year old house and many of the doors are too small to get a large safe through  :-[
Allen
Retired Navy (1969-1992)
Viet Nam Vet
Desert Storm Vet
Lifetime NRA Member