Author Topic: Speer Gold Dot ammo hollow points versus round nose ammo  (Read 6033 times)

Offline Boatswainmate

Speer Gold Dot ammo hollow points versus round nose ammo
« on: March 11, 2019, 08:10:29 PM »
I am having major feed problems with Speer Gold Dot hollow points (intended carry ammo) when just racking the slide as well as  prompting negative thoughts thereafter. Particularly after racking and firing should it do so, I am very concerned that if one does load and fires, the next up shell may jam. Customary is round nose use target shooting with no failures to rack or feed. Is anyone experiencing a similar problem and what might you have as a suggestion relevant to self defense ammo to take the place of Speer HP ammo? Weak spring I believe is not the problem as I just replaced the worn depressed spring with a brand new spring. Every 100 rounds a spring replacement.

Perhaps it is the feed ramp that needs polishing or what have you discovered as a remedy so that Speer Gold Dot 115 pr 124 might be used? Or is it that hollow points in general just don’t want to cooperate? I have read comments whereas others I have read speak to“ I had zero failures of any kind when running through 50 rounds of this ammo i.e., Speer Gold Dot Hollow points 115 or 124 gr?

I am 76 yrs young seeking 100 or more and need some solid advice as to a remedy or an alternative self defense ammo to correct my problem otherwise I will not feel safe for my wife or I and may have to disregard the use of my Rohrbaugh R9 as a carry piece whatsoever. I do have others to take its place but I love this firearm for its concealment. Kindly reply and Thank you so much...
I wish to have no Connection with any Ship that does not Sail fast for I intend to go in harm's way.
"John Paul Jones"

Online tracker

• Grand Master
Re: Speer Gold Dot ammo hollow points versus round nose ammo
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2019, 09:04:01 PM »
It is hard to follow your problem but it sounds like it may be a magazine issue. Have you switched magazines?

Offline Boatswainmate

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2019, 06:31:56 PM »
I tried twice with the same magazine to feed the HP with no success. It was extremely difficult to dislodge the jams, I mean difficult so I stopped. Ejected the HP ‘s from the magazine and inserted round nose without a racking problem nor in past firing problem thereafter. Decided to seek the forum for thoughts rather than trying 3 other magazines on hand. Although I must admit I wondered if the magazine spring might be weak and need replacement? I Will be at the range this week and try again to rack a HP from a different magazine. It actually took a screw driver to raise the HP up from the bottom of the feed ramp which then did feed. Obviously I can not repeatedly go through this.

Perhaps new springs are needed? Would you know who is a supplier? Thank you for your reply an a possibility toward resolution. I’ll try anything for I love the gun.
I wish to have no Connection with any Ship that does not Sail fast for I intend to go in harm's way.
"John Paul Jones"

Online tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2019, 07:28:46 PM »
 If it is a magazine issue I think that it is more likely a small flaw in that magazine than a spring issue. Magazine springs only weaken with repeated use and not sitting idly even while loaded. It doesn't take much in a mag discrepancy to affect the feeding capability.

Offline offrdmania

• Expert
  • Desperately Needs Treatment
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2019, 04:33:31 PM »
I have noticed that sometimes the ears at the top of the magazine sometimes get bent inward or bent outward. This will either raise the nose of the round or push the nose of the round down into the follower. Ive had a few magazines that didnt work just right and a tweak to these ears one way or the other has made all of my magazines feed perfectly. You just have to play around with them and find that happy sweet spot.

Offline Boatswainmate

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2019, 02:00:35 PM »

Firstly Appreciated is everyone’s response to my ongoing hollow point problems with my R9. Yesterday  I finally made it to the range to once again test my feed problem with various ammo in addition to Gold Dot hollow points. Starting out with Gold Dot 115 gr hollow points I experienced feed problems in every instance where the hollow points just would not feed upon racking the slide. Also when I manually did get the first shell to load, once fired  a follow up normal feed resulted in jams in every instance. This repeated itself utilizing 4 different magazines so magazine springs is not seen as a problem nor I suspect are the magazines themselves.

Next I loaded Lawman 124 gr round nose into each of the four magazines. Each experience was easy to feed without a failure upon racking each time, and no jams thereafter were experienced from any one of all 4 magazines as they emptied with out a hitch. 

Next I loaded in all 4 magazines Hornady Critical Defense 115 gr ammo. Noted was Shell Measurements of Gold Dot versus Hornady showed Hornady to be a thinner and a might smaller shell? I presumed Gold Dots larger size might be a contributor to the failures being experienced? The racking of Hornady ammo demonstrated but a couple inconsistencies upon racking (jam) but easier to eject without use of a tool when jammed. Once in battery and fired a couple of jams had occurred (failure to feed). One or two failure to feed is one too many particularly if life or death is in the balance. I could over look the racking inconsistencies but the failure to feed just once is a major deterrent from carrying this loved firearm. I have others a Nano and Springfield’s XDS that is absolutely without problems. They eat all ammos.

On another positive note though, I did take the suggestion of another on the Forum, i.e., to enhance sighting one should paint the front sight first with white paint as a base to the top of the sight, followed by a coat or two of bright orange to illuminate the front sightpicture in line with the rear sight. WOW what a difference for both the Hornady and the Lawman were spot on the target and in 7 yards all were placed but a couple within a 4 inch round target. My suggestion is try it if you are having similar eye sight problems as I once did. This was the most positive outcome of my day at the range.

Frankly I am not confident to carry the R9 with these problems expressed so I need to have it looked at to discover if the problems can be corrected. If not I am sorry to say I may sell this firearm for lack of it’s dependability. Last Year I had a cracked slide that Eric R. graciously substituted for a slide from his stash at home. He is a GEM of a person! At the time he informed me that if other problems occurred and  If I purchased the gun new or used, Remington is taking care of the warranty of the R9 pistols through:

Williams Gun Sight, Inc.
PO Box 329
Davison, Michigan  48423

1-810-653-2131
   or
1-800-530-9028

I will call them April 1 st however does anyone have any new suggestions as to a remedy and/or is there another gunsmith that you might reccomend through your experience that may have answers and/or could repair my problem or even recommend another self defense ammunition that I might try? Obviously I am out of answers as my technical experience with firearms is rather limited, but my common since to reach beyond my 76 yrs of age is not limited. Well thanks again to all that have replied to my initial thread.
"John Paul Jones"