Author Topic: I've "crossed" the 500 mark, some obser  (Read 5056 times)

Offline Texas_Bob

• Sharpshooter
I've "crossed" the 500 mark, some obser
« on: January 29, 2006, 05:57:23 PM »
  Over the course of about two years, three different R9s have been in my hands. The first two I received new and put about 100rds each thru them before having to sell them(personel economic downturn). My current R9s, bought from a fellow board member had, by his count, 105rds thru it before coming into my possession. My only FTF or FTE was within the first 25rds of my first gun as I was having to learn how to "grip this gun." My hands are somewhat large, as I enjoy the grip of a P7M13 with Nill grips attached. I've put another 225rds thru my current pistol before changing out the recoil spring. The "old" spring was "two" full coils shorter than a factory fresh spring. All of my shooting has been with 115gr Speer GDHP. Reguardless of what anyone say's, putting a factory fresh spring in is a PITA. It's just one of the things we learn to live with.  I had planned to "stipple" the front and rear of the frame, however, the wife's being laid off work has put that off, luckily my cash reserves are such I do not have to sell my R9s. I asked Chris if he could spare some of his marine deck tape so I could give it a try, being the gentleman he is, he refused any type of payment, and sent me a strip right before the postage when up. With the tape in place, I found three young (-35yrs) shooters that were guilty of "talk .45, shoot 9mm, carry .380". After explaining how the R9 needed to be gripped and allowing them to dryfire, all three finished off one mag two handed and one mag, strong hand only without any problems. All three are saving up now. No handgun is the " be all end all", for any given situation, however, when wearing jeans, I take comfort in that I have a 9mm in my pocket instead of some lesser caliber.

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
Re:  I've "crossed" the 500 mark, s
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2006, 08:09:51 PM »
Texas:

From a former Okie now hanging his hat in Tennessee, thank you for the post.  I agree.  After years of carrying a .380 ACP in the pocket, it's comforting to have a "full house" 9mm there.
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline Texas_Bob

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2006, 08:15:40 PM »
 Now to my "shooting observations." This is "ALWAYS" very subjective. A little background is in order. In the last ten years, I've shot over 450 idpa matches and average one three gun match a year. I've owned, shot, then sold the NAA .32, KT .32, and a Ti j-frame. For "small" guns, I'm interested in what I can do shooting strong hand only at an idpa target placed at 3yds. Then I place the same target at 5yds for two hand shooting. With the R9s, shooting as fast as I can, the pistol keeps all but an occassional round in the 0 down zone. I can do this faster than any of the previous small handguns I've owned. My only other small handgun I shoot better is the PM9. This is because it is so much larger than the R9s, an increase in .25 here and there begin to add up. The R9s is a "Nitch" gun that fills the roll better than anything else I've tried. Is it worth the $$$. To me, the answer is YES.

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
  • Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2006, 08:54:36 PM »
Bob - two excellent posts and I hope encouragement for all who may wonder about problems they have read. Thanks for writing that up - as ever, praise is good to read and not just criticisms.

I am well pleased the tape has helped tho sorry it was the coarser variety.  I helps me too and I also have quite large ''hams'' ;)

I fancy grip issues are at the root of many early problems folks have ;D

« Last Edit: January 30, 2006, 12:01:52 AM by R9SCarry »
Chris - R9S
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
R9 FAQ Site
NRA Life member and Certified Instructor.

Offline Michigunner

• Grand Master
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2006, 11:59:52 PM »
I don't have any numbers, but it seems like the few reported problems have dropped sharply since people started using tape.

I think it is a "must have" for some owners.

Offline Rocnerd

• Master
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2006, 10:45:27 PM »
I crossed, or close enough not to matter, the 500 mark this weekend as well.  Grip tape works well.  I switched out the spring and as others have said it was shorter by two full coils than the new spring.  
On a side note, I too enjoy having a 9mm in my pocket and feel totally comfortable with it, but recently I tried carrying my P7M8 and I just wasn't comfortable with it.  Not the gun, the fact that it was 9mm.  Doesn't really make sense but I guess in my mind if I am going to be carrying a larger pistol I want a larger round.  So, for a pocket gun 9mm is great, for a full/medium size gun I guess its a larger bullet for me.  
« Last Edit: February 02, 2006, 09:16:51 AM by Rocnerd »

Offline theirishguard

• Grand Master
  • In Memoriam: 1941 to 2013
    • irishguardfirearmsltd.com
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2006, 12:47:06 PM »
I'm with you guys, the R9s fits perfect in the pocket. Thats its job. If one is going to carry a larger gun make it a .45acp.
Tom
Tom Watson, DVC , Quis Separabit ,  Who dares wins, Utrinque Paratus

Offline MurrayNevada

• Expert
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2006, 08:35:13 PM »
That's exactly what I do Tom.  On the few occassions I feel I need more than 9mm, I put my Glock 36 on my belt

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2006, 09:04:29 PM »
I'm with you guys, the R9s fits perfect in the pocket. Thats its job. If one is going to carry a larger gun make it a .45acp.
Tom

Tom & Murray:

Thanks.  You've helped to reduce the "fever" I've had lately since being afflicted with the H&K P7M8 "virus."   :-/
« Last Edit: February 02, 2006, 09:06:04 PM by Richard_S »
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline MurrayNevada

• Expert
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2006, 09:28:59 PM »
Richard,
The P7M8 is a beautiful thing but in my opinion not easy to carry.  Lots of fun to shoot though.  

Offline harrydog

• Master
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2006, 03:20:58 PM »
I know I'm in the minority but I'm slightly under whelmed with the P7M8. I'm attracted to high quality things and the P7M8 is high quality.  I bought one back in the early '90s and ended up keeping it for about five years. It shoots well. And of course it's unique. But I just never grew to love it for some reason. It gets very hot if you shoot it much and it's more maintenance intensive than many other guns. It rusts relatively easily. It's also heavy for its size and capacity.
Don't get me wrong, it is a very nice gun, but I think some of the appeal comes from its cult status and relative scarcity. The fact that it's no longer in production only adds to that appeal.
I suppose everyone owes it to themselves to own one to see for themselves though

Offline Michigunner

• Grand Master
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2006, 04:11:18 PM »
harrydog, I've put off buying one, and saved the money for a .380 conversion kit for the R9S.   :)

Bill

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
  • Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2006, 04:24:15 PM »
Harry - seeing as you have ''come out of the closet'' - I'll add that I too have never been over enamored with the P7.

I appreciate its quality - no prob's there and have shot one before too - still nice but .......... never turned me on to the point I wanted to buy one - and sure could not see myself placing carry duty on one either.

If funds were spare (which they ain't!) I would certainly like to have one in the safe - just ''because'' - and it would not depreciate either. :)
Chris - R9S
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
R9 FAQ Site
NRA Life member and Certified Instructor.

Offline MurrayNevada

• Expert
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2006, 08:50:29 PM »
Chris,
I saw a P7M8 with Null wood grips and had to have it.  I couldn't really afford it but I sacrificed other things.  There is something about wanting a gun and then developing a real need to buy it.  Luckily I'm not this way with other things, cars etc.  

Offline Texas_Bob

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2006, 10:21:46 PM »
 I've noticed "you" are all talking about the P7M8 when I said P7M13. That is a much larger grip area than the M8. I own both, so I know. I would rely on either P7 to do a hostage rescue shot within 7 meters in my hands. The "nice" thing about the 9mm, no one believes he has a "magic" lightsaber in his hands, thus, shot placement is important to the end result. I idpa with the P7, G-17, XD-9, K-9, and once in a while an EB Kobra. My everyday pocket carry is a PM9, unless I'm wearing jeans, then the R9s goes with me. The R9s, besides making a good BUG in the pocket, fits into the "hidden" shirt pocket of 511 shirts.