Author Topic: 32NAA  (Read 7771 times)

Offline LGW

32NAA
« on: January 20, 2007, 06:32:54 PM »
Would be nice if they offered a barrel chambered for the 32NAA in the upcoming 380 version.  I haven't purchased a Rohrbaugh yet; biggest drawback (for me) is the difficult take-down.  I am a slacker, but I am a slacker with clean guns.  A 32NAA option might push me over the edge.  1200 fps out of a 2-1/2 inch barrel, should be even better out of a 3 inch barrel and less recoil with the locked breach Rohrbaugh than the blowback Guardian.  Cheers, Larry

Offline Seven

• Sharpshooter
Re: 32NAABedair
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2007, 07:54:21 PM »
Don't be afraid of the dis-assembly of the Rohrbaugh.  Seriously, once you've been through it a couple of times (and with the Hedly and/or Bedair take-down tools, it's not more difficult than many guns I've owned.  The first time or two the frustration level will be high, but that's the steep part of the learning curve.  After that, it's easy.  Well, easier.   :D

Like Science Fiction?  Read my novel for free:  
http://www.communionofdreams.com/

Offline Reinz

• Grand Master
Re: 32NAA
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2007, 04:11:28 PM »
LGW  -  Please do not let the disassembly steer you away from the best concealable carry weapon on the planet.

Trust me, the key to take down is proper LIGHT.  So you can see the pin hole during the takedown process.
I did not even know about the gadgets talked about on this forum before I disassembed my Rohrbaugh.  And I have nerve damage to my hands and arms.  Meaning in my case, my pinky and ring fingers have the strength of a 5-6 yr old.

I am not bragging, just stating a fact, that it is not difficult!

Sure it might be easier with So & So's gadget.  But it is NOT necessary!
After taking mine down 3 times now,   I admit, I have wondered - what am I doing wrong, in that I don't need these fancy tools?  I am no genius or whiz kid with guns.

Just proper lighting to line up the slide hole to stop pin.  And I do use a small clamp to hold the recoil spring assembly compressed a little bit, no big deal.

If I can do it, anyone can.  Especially since I have weak hands.

If you still have pause, you can alway pay a gunsmith $20-30 to show you how to do it.  If he really wants a customer for life, he will do it for free.

Try it , you'll love it!

Reinz
NRA- LIFE  TSRA- LIFE  SASS-LIFE

Offline 75scout

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2007, 12:46:49 AM »
I would also love to see a Rohrbaugh chambered in 32NAA.  The 380 version is the one I'm waiting on.

Offline kn308

• NRA Life Member
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2007, 05:00:02 PM »
an after market drop in barrel to convert the R380 to 32NAA would be interesting.  how does the 32NAA compare to 380 ACP in ballistic tests?  

Offline pbwe

« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2007, 11:56:28 PM »
My inaugural post ... so I don't get deleted ...

I find the 32 NAA round attractive.  I am/was considering the NAA pistol using this round for CCW, but am put off by the trigger weight,  reportage that it is a fatiguing gun to shoot for extended periods, and may be less accurate, or less easy to keep accurate.  So an R9 is currently at the top of the short list, despite the cost.

My subjective sense is that the 32 NAA round and the Rohrbaugh commonly share unique qualities for scarcity, technical design, and functionality, and these could be combined in a Rorhbaugh .38 variant to give a functionally and "numismatically" very desirable combination.  A very unique, effective, and desirable gun using a very unique, and effective round, and each being the innovation of small, user friendly, quality focused, US craft companies.  Rorhbaugh owners likely could care less that the 32 NAA round is "scarce".  The action of that unique combination would be the ultimate attraction.  A possibly legendary combination of lightness, magazine capacity, unflapable feeding consistency, low recoil, FPS, and impact ballistics.   It is not unrealistic to predict the combination (longer bore than Guardian) could give 200+ ft.lbs. with little recoil and fabulous accuracy.

"... how does the 32NAA compare to 380 ACP in ballistic tests?"

I don't assume interested parties have not seen these:
http://www.naaminis.com/vel38new.html
http://www.handgunsmag.com/ammunition/32_0924/
http://www.naaminis.com/lao32naa.html

:-X :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X :) ;)
« Last Edit: June 27, 2007, 12:03:20 AM by pbwe »

WS6

« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2007, 11:19:11 AM »
I agree with some of the other post. The R9 takedown with the Steve Bedair tools make taking apart and putting back together a breeze. Once you do it, and see how the internal parts of assembled your good to go from there on out.

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2007, 11:38:57 AM »
LGW:

Allow me to echo the previous remarks by Reinz and urge that you not let any perceived complications with takedown and reassembly deter you from availing yourself of the smallest and lightest top-quality 9mm pocket pistol yet made. Here's a link to a previous thread which may be of interest in case you haven't already seen it:

http://www.rohrbaughforum.com/YaBB.cgi?board=Cleaning;action=display;num=1165943631
« Last Edit: June 27, 2007, 12:02:54 PM by Richard_S »
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2007, 09:11:11 PM »
Richard nails it with those photos; what was once torture
and frustration is now quick and simple even for a non-
mechanical person like me.

Offline mshechte

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2007, 09:32:10 PM »
LGW, I recommend that you visit the NAA Website to look at the Ballistic comparisons between the 32 NAA and the 380 rounds. I have a Guardian in 32 NAA and it produces some of the sharpest recoil that I have ever felt. 1200+FPS out of a 2 in barrel  :o
I think that since the R9 cannot handle a +P, or a +P+ round,
The only thing that this bottleneck round thru a R9 would produce, would be sore hands, and a broken gun.
If you crave a R9 with a bigger punch...Saty tuned for the R45...coming soon...next spring. I've got one on order with Tom "The Irish Guard" Watson, here on the Forum. I can't wait.
My hands hurt just thinking about it!
I Love it! :D
Later,
Mark
" If Guns kill people...then all of mine are Defective "    Ted Nugent.

Offline pbwe

« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2007, 02:51:17 PM »
I think that since the R9 cannot handle a +P, or a +P+ round,
The only thing that this bottleneck round thru a R9 would produce, would be sore hands, and a broken gun.

I interpret the 32 NAA has essentially the same volume powder load as a 9 mm ( 9x17 or 9x18 ), maybe a bit less due to the neck down.  The R9 barrel should still stand up to the stress, all else equal.

Would the locked breach design recoil as much as the blow-back design?  

Adding some comparative 32 NAA ballistics:
http://www.makarov.com/32naa/index.html
« Last Edit: June 28, 2007, 02:52:17 PM by pbwe »

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2007, 03:38:43 PM »
Richard nails it with those photos; what was once torture
and frustration is now quick and simple even for a non-
mechanical person like me.

Tracker:

I'm not sure I would use the term "non-mechanical" to describe a man who used to land jet fighters on aircraft carriers at night.   :o  8)
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
TRe: 32NAA
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2007, 03:49:48 PM »
Thanks, Richard; it is a different skill plus the Navy has some
of the greatest training in aviation. They won't let anyone
take a stab at those carriers who is not ready.