Author Topic: captive dual recoil spring like the EMP  (Read 10294 times)

Offline gdavis2265

captive dual recoil spring like the EMP
« on: May 02, 2010, 01:18:14 PM »
Glenn

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
Re: captive dual recoil spring like the EMP
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2010, 05:48:27 PM »
It's interesting to speculate as to whether the designers of the "micro 1911" took a page from the Rohrbaugh playbook. In any event, I suspect that John Moses Browning would approve of how his basic design is being carried forward with any number of variations and refinements into its second century of service.
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline Reinz

• Grand Master
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2010, 08:18:50 PM »
It's interesting to speculate as to whether the designers of the "micro 1911" took a page from the Rohrbaugh playbook. In any event, I suspect that John Moses Browning would approve of how his basic design is being carried forward with any number of variations and refinements into its second century of service.

If anything the brothers took a page out the Detonics playbook.
The Detonics was the first production Micro 45 made. It was introduced in the 70's.
It was also the first Stainless Steel prodution gun as well.  I believe they beat Auto Mag to the punch.
Anyway they use(d) a  dual recoil spring system.
I don't know if you would classify it as a "captive" system or not, one spring is inside the other on a full lenght guide rod, but you can slide the springs off if you want to.

What I like about Rorhbaugh is that they took it to a new level by adding the third spring , the big one.  The one that we change out every 200 rounds.
This adds life to the gun and does not beat up the shooter.

Reinz
« Last Edit: July 10, 2010, 08:28:43 PM by Reinz »
NRA- LIFE  TSRA- LIFE  SASS-LIFE

Offline Reinz

• Grand Master
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2010, 08:24:14 PM »
Sorry, double tap?
« Last Edit: July 10, 2010, 08:29:32 PM by Reinz »

Offline chameleon

• Grand Master
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2010, 08:03:44 AM »
I'll go one farther than the Detonics, it is the Seecamp.
Seecamp designed and patented the dual spring system that is widely used today to manufacture smaller pistols.

There is a long list of manufacturers that used the design to this day.

ccoorreeyy

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2010, 10:37:47 AM »
Your right chameleon.  I truly enjoyed, at the last Seecamp Tech day, Larry telling me about how he came up with that design one night when he should have been sleeping.  I think his Dad was a proud man the next day!

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2010, 10:56:35 AM »
Thanks, Chameleon and  Corey. I didn't know that -- although I guess I should have realized it, given the number of times I've cleaned "Herself's" LWS32. (I learn something new every day.  :) )  
« Last Edit: July 12, 2010, 10:59:52 AM by Richard_S »
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2010, 11:27:23 AM »
Excellent information, Reinz, Chameleon, and Corey.  Always good to learn something new, (to me).
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline Reinz

• Grand Master
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2010, 02:03:25 PM »
You're right Chameleon!  I forgot about Seecamp, he used to work on 45s and do double action conversions and such.

Thanks

Reinz

Offline chameleon

• Grand Master
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2010, 09:25:24 PM »
Larry did come up with the design in the middle of the night, however, when he did tell his dad the next day, the dad asked him why they needed such a spring.
Well, years later when they designed their own pistol, the father found out exactly why you'd need such a spring design.

Corey, I loved listening to that story as well, and later through the development of the Seecamp pistols.
Hopefully, we will see some more use of this spring design from the originator.

Offline Reinz

• Grand Master
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2010, 09:44:21 PM »
Interesting caveat, thanks Chameleon.

ccoorreeyy

« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2010, 10:26:11 PM »
For some reason I dont remember it being "years later" but i'm sure your correct.  I had in my mind that they were already in the design of it and his Dad said it would not work because they could not get a regular spring to function in the micro design so thats when Larry thought up the dual spring and it worked.  But like I said, I'm more than likley wrong and you are more than likley correct.  I soaked up ALOT of stories and info that week and I may have put two stories together or somthing.

Offline chameleon

• Grand Master
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2010, 09:01:32 AM »
Here is an old quote from Larry Seecamp in regards to the invention of the dual spring design. Note it was patented in the 70's, this was well before the design of their 25 or 32.
Larry also posted some well respected remarks about the Rohrbaugh on his forum.

Re: Rohrbaugh
Reply #160 - Apr 12th, 2006, 4:21am Quote
Quote:
>>Dave...how do you mean...?  And out of curiosity...what do the Seecamps use - double of single recoil springs...??...TW<<

The LWS pistols in .32 and .380 use reverse wound inner and outer springs without a coupler. This is a very old system.  

The Rohrbaugh uses the telescoping inner and outer spring system with coupler used by almost all modern miniaturized locked breech pistols. I invented and patented this arrangement back in the late 1970s.

Glock, Kahr, Para Ordnance and Colt were among those who paid royalties for use of the system before the patent expired.

No manufacturer has contributed more to pistol miniaturization than we have. That's a fact I can prove.

Offline yankee2500

• Grand Master
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2010, 12:15:16 PM »
chameleon,
   Good info, the Seecamps are certainly at the top in the under 9mm mini pistol heap.

John
« Last Edit: November 21, 2010, 03:56:14 PM by yankee2500 »
"THE KING OF BATTLE"

"Cha togar m' fhearg gun dìoladh"

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."
Thomas Jefferson

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2010, 01:48:50 PM »
chameleon.  Ya just gotta like excellent info.  Thanks.
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln