Author Topic: Something a little new  (Read 14464 times)

Offline RJ HEDLEY

• Grand Master
  •         
Something a little new
« on: October 12, 2004, 07:19:45 AM »
I have changed my Limited Edition holster for the better. Haven't come to the final cut yet.

RJ=

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
Re: Something a little new
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2004, 08:57:46 AM »
RJ:

I like it!  I like it a lot!  If I'm not mistaken, that follows the design which you originally suggested to Eric Rohrbaugh.

RS
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline BillinPittsburgh

• Master
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2004, 02:39:36 PM »
Very nice.

One suggestion:  reduce the size of the flap extending from the top of the slide by about 1/2, and increase the width of the flap extending under the grip by about the same amount to keep the overall width the same.  I think this would position the gun in a better overall location.
Gentleness can only be expected from the strong.  Ancient Chinese proverb.

Offline Mr_Jody_Hudson

• Expert
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2004, 02:41:51 PM »
Will you make one with an added magazine slip, under the grip?  I hope.  I like the extra mag holder under the grip to break up the print-through outline.
Delaware Real Estate = http://www.Kate-Jody.com

Offline RJ HEDLEY

• Grand Master
  •         
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2004, 04:37:56 PM »
Billin Pittsburgh

I trimmed about a 1/4" from the barrel rib, dressed it up and sent it on to my *field tester*,  It may still be too wide for average pockets.
+++++++++++++++++++++
Mr_Jody_Hudson

Don't plan to add mag to holster, it quite a pocket full as it is.  But thank you for looking and considering it..
« Last Edit: October 12, 2004, 07:31:34 PM by RHEDLEY »
RJ=

Offline TW

• Grand Master
[i][/i]Something a little new
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2004, 04:39:09 PM »
>>I'm liking this, a lot...!  You are quite a talented fellow, RJ...wishing I could do anything with my hands that turned out as nice as your holsters...would be very rewarding.  But I can't, so it's nice to admire the fine work of others.  In particular I admire your stich work.

I too am curious about the availabliity / looks of a holster with a magazine slip under the grip.  Might this be down the road...?...TW<<

Offline RJ HEDLEY

• Grand Master
  •         
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2004, 05:06:52 PM »
"I too am curious about the availabliity / looks of a holster with a magazine slip under the grip." TW
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
 Looking a photos and seeing the mag under the grip..?... It is very different when trying to actually put it there.  
The gun/ holster is quite a pocket full ,weight wise.   In big loose pockets the ertra weight causes a swinging motion that is unnatural and uncomfortable.
Just can't buy the attached mag idea,  for many other reasons.

Thanks for your comments..
RJ=

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2004, 06:05:10 PM »
If you want an attached mag carrier, you can look to Kevin's Pocket Defender Plus.  It is pictured in the ad that rotates across the top of the forum, or you can go to www.kdholsters.com.  It will be a pocketfull -- but will certainly work.

The "other reasons" I think RJ is referring to is that carrying a spare mag in your strong side pocket is not ideal.  Carrying on your weak side would be better.  To reload with the mag in your strong side pocket requires you to shift the gun to the other hand to dig the mag out, which is not ideal from a tactical perspective.  

However, not everyone will dedicate two pockets to concealed carry and figure a spare mag in the strong side pocket is better than none at all.  For those people -- a built-in mag carrier is a good solution.  

I personally prefer the spare mag in the strong side pocket, as RJ suggests.

BTW -- nice holster, R.J.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2004, 06:07:10 PM by admin »
Duane (DDGator)
Rohrbaugh Forum Administrator
E-mail: Admin-at-RohrbaughForum.com

Offline Incursion

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2004, 06:37:01 PM »
If I can get this gun to work in my hands, I'll definitely be ordering up one of your holsters.  The Desantis Nemesis just doesn't cut it for certain pockets.

Offline azrael

« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2004, 09:13:57 PM »
Sweet looking holster RJ...

just so ya know, I am going to rip off that design in about a month ;D

Although I am gonna add 2 things to it, JUST so I can call it an original...lol
Dave
Azrael's Custom Leather

"There is no love in your violence"
Kakihara (Ichi the Killer)

Offline shooterjb

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2004, 10:46:46 PM »
Hi RJ,

That is beautiful leather which shows superb workmanship. Thank you for the pictures.

Frank

Offline TW

• Grand Master
Something a little new
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2004, 12:43:04 AM »
>>RJ...thanks for the insights into the practicalities of pocket holster design.  Points taken...TW<<

Offline Jim

• Expert
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2004, 11:06:28 PM »
RJ, you make a great holster, you will be hearing from me in a few days as my R9S will be here the end of this month!!  Thanks again, Jim, (in the thumb of Mi.)
Glock 23, previous R9S owner sold due to health problems.  Just enjoy the folks on this forum!!

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2004, 04:54:43 PM »
RJ:

I was delighted to receive in today's mail the prototype of your newly designed Limited Edition holster for the R9s, and I  am honored to serve as a "Field Tester" for the design.  

The materials and workmanship of the holster are superb, as is the case with all of your work.  The curvature of this design seems to be a real advantage.  I am using the holster now to carry strong-side front pocket, and I find it to be so comfortable that I am hardly aware of the weapon's presence.    

I'll report back after carrying the holster around for a few days, but my initial impression is that it represents a perfect union of form and function.  In other words, RJ, I think you may have really "nailed it" with this design.

RS  
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline Brenden

• Grand Master
  • Farmie!!!
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2004, 07:17:52 PM »
RJ,
    Would you ever consider extending the holster up to conceal and protect the slide a bit more?
I know being in the pocket is pretty rough on the finish in the long term and I would think that this may help.. :)

Thanks for considering this..I like the new design..
NRA Life Patron Member
GOA
Molon Labe