Author Topic: Milt Sparks PCH in elephant hide  (Read 10483 times)

Offline justin2992

• Expert
Milt Sparks PCH in elephant hide
« on: September 30, 2004, 05:33:08 PM »
Kudos to Tony Kanaley at Milt Sparks for his wonderful craftsmanship on this holster.  This is my 2nd PCH from Milt Sparks.  It is definitely the crown jewel of my collection.  Tony's designs are well thought out and unique in many respects and the craftsmanship and materials are top notch! I had originally ordered it in black shark, but Tony gave me a call before he started making it to discuss design options. He told me about the holster he had made for his own Rohrbaugh out of elephant. I decided to have him make me one just like his. Thanks a lot, Tony!

Anyway, here are the pics with my new R9s

« Last Edit: October 20, 2004, 02:57:05 AM by justin2992 »
The 1938 Nazi Weapons Law is alive and well in the United States, and is called, "The Gun Control act of 1968", and is enforced by the modern day gestapo, known as the BATF.

Offline rtw

• Expert
Re: Milt Sparks PCH in elephant hide
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2004, 08:34:53 PM »
Very nice!
Welcome home

Offline RJ HEDLEY

• Grand Master
  •         
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2004, 10:38:58 PM »
That IS a very nice holster !!!

I'm back from Huricane HELL !!   ;D
RJ=

Offline doctordun

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2004, 01:20:26 AM »
Justin,
What was the wait time on that beautiful holster? The last time I ordered from Milt Sparks, it was 4 months, but that was a while ago.

Offline justin2992

• Expert
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2004, 10:42:36 AM »
Order date: 7/19/04
Received on: 9/30/04
so a little over 2 months
The 1938 Nazi Weapons Law is alive and well in the United States, and is called, "The Gun Control act of 1968", and is enforced by the modern day gestapo, known as the BATF.

Offline sharp

• Expert
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2004, 12:47:37 PM »
Justin,
If you don't mind me asking, what did you have to pay for it?

Offline justin2992

• Expert
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2004, 01:01:10 PM »
Well, I was originally quoted a base price of $50 + $20 for shark.  When I changed it to elephant, Tony told me the base price is $65 + $45 for elephant. "The base price of $50 is for the PCH without the wire reinforcement, which is how the PCH for the Kahr PM9 is made up."  Tony honored the original base-price quote so I paid $95 plus shipping.  I guess the Rohrbaugh is priced in the revolver category.  The prices and descriptions listed on the website certainly don't make that clear.

On a side note, a couple years back I talked to Mitch Rosen about making a pocket holster for my J-frame.  He quoted me something like $425 for shell cordovan with stingray trim, $600 for all stingray, and $500 for elephant.  Needless to say I didn't buy from him nor would ever consider it again.  
« Last Edit: October 06, 2004, 01:16:06 PM by justin2992 »

Offline RJ HEDLEY

• Grand Master
  •         
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2004, 07:25:12 PM »
justin

How does the pistol draw from the new holster ?

RJ=

Offline justin2992

• Expert
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2004, 08:44:46 PM »
Hi RJ,

I'll let you know once I get my new R9s back from Rohrbaugh.

Offline pocketman

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2004, 05:03:59 PM »
That is very nice!

I have a african ostrage "kentucky" holster by Graham, so the R9 is covered pretty well, I may order one like that for my lil seecamp 380  ;)

Offline azrael

« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2004, 05:39:09 PM »
That is one sweet looking holster...

Justin,
In there behalf on the disparity in price, I offer the following...late last year was the first time in ALONG time that you could legally import elephant hide into the country...Kangaroo also falls into this catagory...that is why the price is so cheap now compared to several years ago...

Gotta remember...ripp off that design! ;D
Dave
Azrael's Custom Leather

"There is no love in your violence"
Kakihara (Ichi the Killer)

Offline pale_horse

« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2004, 02:43:44 AM »
Howdy..and "yeah".."Elephant" skin is hard to come by...no matter who ya!

It is surely "exotic"..but black ostrich or black reef shark is certainly even more visual drama...and just plain pretty.

Both available..at this moment..at the Rohebaugh Store...I wouldn't wait..if I wanted one right now:)

Best,
Ronbo-San

Offline Brenden

• Grand Master
  • Farmie!!!
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2004, 08:45:09 PM »
Just wondering if anyone else has gotten an "Elephant" for their R9..Looking for an update!! I have the Stingray that was auctioned for the site,enjoying more every day,and I am getting more interested in the exotics.. ;D

Pity my meager pocket book.. :)
NRA Life Patron Member
GOA
Molon Labe

Offline Wayne

• Expert
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2005, 11:43:18 PM »
The elephant skin looks awesome!  I've been eyeing the elephant skin holsters on the rohrbaugh store site, but I could fill volumes with what I don't know about elephant skin.

Other than being an exotic, what are the specific qualities about elephant skin that make it more desireable than some other conventional holster materials, such as leather?

Offline ketap

« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2005, 12:08:04 AM »
Although I dont own any elephant skin holsters, that has got to be one of the toughest hides that should retain its shape and last forever, along with looking good.