Author Topic: Talon Grips  (Read 4899 times)

Offline Douglas

• Expert
Talon Grips
« on: March 26, 2014, 09:33:03 PM »
You may (but probably don't) remember that, a while back, I tried a set of VZ grips on my pup. They wouldn't fit.

VZ customer service was terrific. They didn't give me a run around. We didn't ship grips back and forth to each other. They straight up told me that the grips wouldn't work on my pistol. Sometimes it happens. Lucky me.

Anyway, watching Hickok45 on Youtube has me wondering about Talon grips as an alternative for a little extra grip on the factory G10s.

Has anyone used Talons on their R9?

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
Re: Talon Grips
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2014, 10:16:22 PM »

I recently installed Talon grips on my Shield and am very happy with them--much superior to anything like Hogue or Pachmyer slip-on rubber grips. The main difference with the Talon grips is that they are integrated with the gun's grips and sealed with heat from an outside source, like a hair dryer; they add little or no circumference to the original grips. There are no grip screws on many pistols like the Shield.

As far as I know the Talon grips are not made for the R-9 nor are they compatible because they would cover the grip screws. Unless there were holes in the Talon grips that would access the screws they would be
unusable anyway for the R9. I use 3M tape on certain R9 grip areas but leave the grip screws free.

Offline Douglas

• Expert
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2014, 10:20:45 PM »
Interesting. Thanks tracker!

They've never been a problem, but I do find the G10 grips slick.

Offline Douglas

• Expert
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2014, 08:43:38 PM »
I heard back from Talon today, confirming that they don't offer an R9 grip (which, of course we already knew.)

I had hoped that they might know that a grip officially for another pistol would fit the pup, but unfortunately not.

However, there is good news. They sell sheets of their grip material. I hadn't noticed that. So you can order and cut it yourself to fit.  8)

I just did; two types. We'll see once it arrives.

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2014, 10:37:14 PM »

Let us know which one you like the best. I was talked into the rubber and am happy with them, but I am also an advocate of the aggressive version which can be softened with sandpaper.

Offline Douglas

• Expert
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2014, 08:45:08 PM »
I got the Talon grip material in and did a quick install. I used the grippier version.

Nice.  8)

Also, the customer service from Talon has been outstanding. They suggested that I use their grip request section on their website. You can log requests for grip models that they don't yet offer. They choose which new styles to make based on the number of requests. They said that mine was the first for Rohrbaugh. -Seemed odd, but that's what they said.

Anyway, might be worth it to make a few requests. 
« Last Edit: April 02, 2014, 08:46:39 PM by Douglas »

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2014, 08:53:57 PM »
Looks great; much better than my 3M tape. I'm convinced that this type of treatment, whatever the source, adds to the grip effectiveness, tactile feel, and "shootability" of a small pocket pistol.