Author Topic: Strange looks at the range yesterday :)  (Read 6097 times)

Offline MikeInTexas

• Grand Master
  • Hello from Texas
Strange looks at the range yesterday :)
« on: December 14, 2023, 12:14:40 PM »
Not unusual for me to have something strange at the range on any given day, but yesterday I got some looks and questions.

I got gifted a pair of 20 gauge to .45 Colt adapters.  Basically they have .45 Colt chamber and a short rifled barrel, little longer than a 20 Gauge shell.

Went to a local city owned range, got my old man discount (55+) for $3 a gun, and brought out the 10 inch barreled Beretta Silver Pigeon, it is a legal SBS with a pistol style grip.  First the range officer wanted to know what I had, then guy in the next lane was WTF is that as I loaded and fired it.  Got 10 rounds roughly into a pie plate sized group at 7 yards.  (embarrassed to call that a group, LOL)

Recoil was not enough to set the second trigger on the shotgun action if you held it real tight.  Had to lessen the grip a bit, and let it come back.  45 Colt is extremely mild in such a set up and was not an issue.  Much, much tamer than shot, slugs or buckshot. 

The fiber optic front sight and lack of rear sight really did not matter too much.  I guess being Rohrbaugh shooters we know how to sight down the top.  This is not ever going to be a precision hand fired weapon.  It'll take care of business at close range with buckshot though.  Do like shooting hand thrown clays with it.

Did not feel the need to check each rounds impact in relation to the position of the adapter in the chamber.  I'm sure I could get some better accuracy by working on the issue and assigning each adapter a specific chamber and then marking and rotating them around until they get closest to the bullseye.  .45 Colt is too expensive for such an exercise that likely would not lead to spectacular results. 

Had a few more people walk buy, the old guns shaking their heads and the two young fellows were very interested.

For using the adapters in the future, probably do it as a novelty with friends at the range.  Most like to get their picture taken with the little gun, and the mildness of the pistol rounds will be better suited for some new shooters.

Did get the issues with the 'ghost gun' Glock 43 clone worked out.  Got a box through it without any issues. 

Offline backupr9

• Grand Master
Re: Strange looks at the range yesterday :)
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2023, 09:03:05 AM »
Sounds like a fun day!  I have a “Judge” chambered for .410/45 Colt, but have only ever used shotshells in it.
"Those who would sacrifice a little freedom for a little order, will lose both, and deserve neither." 
Thomas Jefferson

Endur Fortis