Author Topic: Ivory  (Read 6211 times)

Offline Brian

• Sharpshooter
Ivory
« on: August 21, 2015, 08:19:21 PM »
I was away from home for about a week and my son made a set of new grips for me.  We finally found a resin dye that give us the Ivory color that we've been looking for and doesn't let the Kevlar reinforcement that we use around the screw holes show through.  These grips are filled with Fiber Glass while all of our others are filled with either Carbon Fiber or Kevlar.  Sometimes both. Let me know what you think.

Brian
DesignerGrips@Gmail.com

« Last Edit: August 23, 2015, 10:12:22 AM by Brian »

Offline tattoo

• Master
Re: Ivory
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2015, 09:58:46 PM »
They look very nice....

Offline Griff

• Expert
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2015, 10:14:52 PM »
Ahhhaha...I like. They would be even better on a stealth.
Nice work.
‘Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive...those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.‘
- C. S. Lewis

Offline ECR

• Grand Master
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2015, 01:57:31 PM »
Those look great Brian. Any idea on cost to the public yet? I'm sure inquiring minds want to know that and the availability. 

Eric R.
Makers of the NRA Shooting Illustrated: "Handgun of the Year for 2005" and receiver of an NRA Golden Bullseye Award.

Offline Brian

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2015, 04:30:53 PM »
Hi Eric,

The price for these is the same as my Carbon Fiber grips, $75  ($69 + $6.00 S&H) and I generally ask for about two weeks delivery.  Rohrbaugh forum members, like Seecamp forum members, are welcome to try my grips on their gun before paying for them. 

Brian
DesignerGrips@Gmail.com

Offline ECR

• Grand Master
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2015, 05:15:35 PM »
Excellent information Brian. They look fantastic. . . . . . and yes, they would look really nice on a Stealth model.    ;-)
Makers of the NRA Shooting Illustrated: "Handgun of the Year for 2005" and receiver of an NRA Golden Bullseye Award.

Online cargaritaville

• Grand Master
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2015, 06:07:25 PM »
Brian: Your lizard grips came in and they are beautiful! Thanks, I will post pics soon.
Having a gun in your hand is much more effective than having the entire police department on the phone!

Offline JoshA

• Grand Master
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2015, 09:26:53 PM »
Hey, where are thos pics at Norm?   ::)
War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse.

John Stuart Mill
English economist & philosopher (1806 - 1873)

Offline Brenden

• Grand Master
  • Farmie!!!
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2015, 02:49:51 PM »
Per usual,nice looking grips! The color looks spot on.
NRA Life Patron Member
GOA
Molon Labe

Offline Brian

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2015, 09:34:15 AM »
Thanks everyone,

My son Mike and I looked for a long time before we found a dye that would give us the color we were looking for.  We have been very pleased with the results and sales have been good especially over at the Seecamp forum  I have Ivory colored grips on both the Rohrbaugh and my Seecamp and I won't be changing to another color any time soon.  The only issue we have with them is if the tiniest piece if dust or carbon fiber gets into the mold before we close it up, we have to toss them.  And sadly my basement workshop isn't exactly a clean room.  Luckily Mike
figured out a way to use Kevlar around the screw holes without it showing through the ivory so we feel pretty good about out the strength of the grips too.

Brian
Brian@DesignerGrips.com

PS  Here are some pictures of how they look on one of the best looking Seecamps I've  seen.  I hope it's not a sacrilege to put a picture of another gun up here but I think the engraving on this gun is just right. It's not overdone like some I've seen. (IMO)

Online cargaritaville

• Grand Master
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2015, 10:02:14 AM »
That is a beautiful gun and those are beautiful grips. My father was an engraver by trade. He used to tell me all the time that engravings are meant to complement, not overpower. The problem with a lot of engraved guns today is that they are just plain gaudy. Yours is perfect, IMO. Keep up the great work!
Having a gun in your hand is much more effective than having the entire police department on the phone!

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2015, 07:10:15 PM »
As one who has a pair of Brian's grips (elephant hide over Hogues) for my R9 132, I can attest that he does superb work. Get a pair of his grips to your liking as soon as possible.

Ivory?

Here is R9 132 with OLD ivory grips (from a pre-ban tusk, a piece of which I was able to purchase from Kevin Manley) carved and engraved by an artist at Hogue to whom Eric arranged an introduction for me, together with a Milt Sparks elephant hide holster. However, now that the illicit ivory trade has flourished in spite of CITES and has even become a source of funding for international terrorism, all of my elephant accessories are now, as a matter of principle, back in the gun safe and No. 132 is wearing Black CF grips autographed on the inside right panel by Eric and is being carried in a monogrammed front-pocket holster by the late R. J. Hedley.

I applaud the development of the polymer/carbon fiber/kevlar grips that provide the look of real ivory with much greater durability than the organic product.
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"