Author Topic: This is different  (Read 7564 times)

Offline MRC

• Grand Master

Offline MikeInTexas

• Grand Master
  • Hello from Texas
Re: This is different
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2016, 12:58:27 PM »
I think the grips alone are worth more than the current bid of $81.

« Last Edit: March 27, 2016, 10:35:23 AM by MikeInTexas »

Offline MRC

• Grand Master
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2016, 01:01:26 PM »
I think the grips alone are worth more than what the current bid of $81.

I thought about that also, but are the completely finished?  I figured they were rejected for some reason.

Offline tattoo

• Master
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2016, 02:21:33 PM »
I was high bid up to 80 bucks....but not sure it is worth to much more than that to me..

Offline MikeInTexas

• Grand Master
  • Hello from Texas
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2016, 10:37:32 AM »
Looks like it has a number of bidders interested in it,  and they have pushed the price over $100 with a day and a half left on the auction.

Offline ECR

• Grand Master
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2016, 10:18:09 AM »
Ha ha. . . . I remember making that for a holster maker in Texas. I don't believe we charged him anything for it in those early days, but not 100% on that. No internal parts at all in there and there is absolutely no way to make it function, so keep that in mind if you decide on bidding on it for anything other than the historic factor or simply to get a set of unusual early blue carbon fiber grips. As for the "serial number", I don't believe we did that as it was not a real gun so it was not necessary to do. The grips on it were rejected by me for any consumer use R9 going out the door at the time. There were many of these in fact and, unfortunately, later on we had to make use of them and I paired them up the best I could with matching the patterns on both grips the best I could. With some gun oil wiped over them, they actually looked pretty good but there were some that were even worse in pattern and were simply scrapped in the trash bin. Definitely a piece of Rohrbaugh history there, and I can't dispute that.

Eric R.
Makers of the NRA Shooting Illustrated: "Handgun of the Year for 2005" and receiver of an NRA Golden Bullseye Award.

Offline JoshA

• Grand Master
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2016, 10:44:16 PM »
Well someone wanted it pretty bad.

Anyone going to fess up to bidding $456 for the perfect paperweight that I wanted for my desk? Lol. It was cool.
War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse.

John Stuart Mill
English economist & philosopher (1806 - 1873)

Offline tattoo

• Master
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2016, 05:21:43 AM »
WOW.   

Offline MRC

• Grand Master
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2016, 09:37:28 AM »

Put another $400 with it and you could have had a real one.

Offline BlueC2

• Grand Master
  • Forum Contributor
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2016, 09:46:14 AM »
I picked it up. I have wanted an early prototype for quite some time and this may be as close as I was going to get.

I have Karl's early gun (SN: R9) that was put together with shop parts and I thought this would go well with that early piece and plan to display them in a prototype wooden case that Eric was kind enough to give to me.
Currently looking for Elite Premium RP 1 of 16. Please PM 
NRA LIFE MEMBER.

Offline MikeInTexas

• Grand Master
  • Hello from Texas
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2016, 11:04:05 AM »
I picked it up. I have wanted an early prototype for quite some time and this may be as close as I was going to get.

I have Karl's early gun (SN: R9) that was put together with shop parts and I thought this would go well with that early piece and plan to display them in a prototype wooden case that Eric was kind enough to give to me.

Wow, nice.  It seems like u***b wanted it pretty bad also.

Congratulations on a one of a kind find.

Offline ECR

• Grand Master
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2016, 05:06:07 PM »
I absolutely can not believe what this sold for. I am honored and humbled. Wow.............
Makers of the NRA Shooting Illustrated: "Handgun of the Year for 2005" and receiver of an NRA Golden Bullseye Award.

Offline JoshA

• Grand Master
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2016, 10:29:15 PM »

I just had a hunch it may have been you Blue. I did want it as a paperweight/conversation piece. Honestly it will be in much better company on your wall with your handsome collection sir.

Congrats on the nice buy. Oh, by the way I guess the old grips alone make it worth quite a bit by themselves. Not bad.
War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse.

John Stuart Mill
English economist & philosopher (1806 - 1873)