Author Topic: Slide scratching frame of R9s  (Read 5319 times)

Offline LAA

Slide scratching frame of R9s
« on: April 23, 2010, 04:14:34 PM »
Has anyone else had trouble with the slide scratching the frame of their R9?

After I took my R9 Stealth to the range for the first time, I field stripped it to clean it and discovered that the edge of the pin extraction hole on the left side of the slide is scratching the left side of the frame.  The frame scratch coincides exactly with the recoil path-of-travel of the leftmost edge of the extraction hole on the left side of the frame; correspondingly, the black finish on the left edge of the extraction hole (it is a stealth model) on the underside of the slide has worn off where it is rubbing on the frame.  

The scratch on the frame is deep enough to have taken the finish completely off of the frame for approximately a 1 1/2 to 2" length (sorry, I don't have it with me right now to measure the exact length) and 1 mm wide scratch. In addition, the scratch has a visibly rough surface and it is deep enough to palpably feel the difference in depth where the scratch ends and the undamaged black surface takes over.  I'm pretty sure, though, that the depth of the scratch is not as bad as it visible appears and I doubt (but I am not sure) it will affect the integrity of the gun.  When I run my finger over the underside of the slide (at the offending area), it does not feel rough but obviously something was out of spec here.

I have a few questions:  (i) is there any concern that this type of a scratch can affect the integrity of the frame? Would this be akin to scoring glass or drywall such that it could break easier?  I seriously doubt it but don't know enough about the physics of metals to be sure; (ii) if I leave the gun as is, with the unfinished aluminum exposed, are there any corrosion concerns; and (iii) does anyone know whether Rohrbaugh is likely to do anything about this problem.  I know they don't warrant the finish of the gun but since this appears to be due to a manufacturing issue, I think they should do something;  Afterall, this is a $1,200 gun.

I tried calling Rohrbaugh today but they are closed for installation of a new phone and computer system and won't reopen until Monday.  Unfortunately, I had hoped to have some answers today because I was planning to go to the range today or tomorrow and don't want to shoot it if it will make the situation and worse. However, I expect everything has settled into place at this point and the scratch is as bad as it is going to get but again I can't be sure with my limited knowledge.  And, if the frame has somehow been compromised (which I again doubt but can't be sure), I don't want to risk bigger problems by firing it.

If anyone has any experience dealing with a similar problem or if anyone has any advice or suggestions, I would really appreciate the input.

Thanks!!!

Offline FloridaCCW

• Master
Re: Slide scratching frame of R9s
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2010, 05:45:04 PM »
Sounds like normal wear to me, but a picture would be very helpful  ;)
« Last Edit: April 23, 2010, 05:46:15 PM by FloridaCCW »

Offline LAA

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2010, 01:20:52 AM »
Ok. So I have pictures but can't figure out how to post them. . .
« Last Edit: April 26, 2010, 01:22:55 AM by LAA »

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2010, 07:35:17 AM »
LAA:

As I responded in the other thread you have going on this, the material at the following link may help:

http://www.acbsystems.com/boards/rohrbaugh/basefile/pic-post.htm
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline LAA

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2010, 02:32:58 PM »
Thanks for the posting info.   Note that in each of the photos, the flash caused a light burst on part of the scratch making it look wider in portions.  However, the scratch is completely uniform in its width throughout the lengh of the scratch.

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"