Author Topic: Very.very,hot weather carry  (Read 2887 times)

Offline johnny

• Master
Very.very,hot weather carry
« on: July 08, 2018, 09:21:10 AM »
        To my southern brethren.
    Up here in northern Wisconsin we do experience some of that extremely hot and humid weather.Not to the extent that southern states have to endure.
         When we do get these stretches of high temps,I get out my R9 exclusively.Now I have been reading recently about 9mm.self defense rounds being available that are made for short barrel guns.I have always used Speer self defense rounds.
       2 questions-what kind of luck are you that have switched to those having, and with the Rohrbaugh do you carry with the max of 7 rounds in the gun?Or have you found that is too much pressure pushing up with the mag. spring to reliably chamber another round after firing that first of 6 rounds in the magazine?

Offline PursuitSS

• Expert
Re: Very.very,hot weather carry
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2018, 10:54:25 PM »
I’m using the Federal 9mm HST 150gr Micro round which is supposed to be designed for short barreled 9mm’s. To date it’s had 80 rounds through it with no malfunctions.

And yes, I carry my R9S fully loaded. Six in the mag and one up the tube.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2018, 10:56:24 PM by PursuitSS »
NRA Endowment Member
Moderator - “80%” Forum AR15.com

Offline johnny

• Master
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2018, 07:08:09 AM »
  Thanks for the info.

Offline JoeGagmo

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2018, 08:21:35 AM »
Here in the hot Georgia weather, where shorts and T-shirts are the main form of apparel, my R9 goes just about where I go, no pocket printing nor does the weight of the gun pull shorts down. 
As for ammo, I’ve found that my Rohrbaugh loves either Speer Gold Dot ammo, or 147 gr. Black Talon, (although not readily available ammo & a bit expensive these days, I still have some Black Talon that was our regular round on the PD some years ago).   
My R9 also has a liking for just normal FMJ ammo.