Author Topic: First time for my Stealth - MULTIPLE light strikes  (Read 3127 times)

Offline BytorJr

• Expert
First time for my Stealth - MULTIPLE light strikes
« on: January 05, 2020, 07:47:33 PM »
Ok, I'll admit I haven't shot my R9 in quite a while (probably 3 years).  I just keep it clean and haven't seen any reason to go fire it.  However, I have a new range (outdoor) so I can now start shooting again.  Indoor range kills what's left of my hearing.  Anyway, I bought some steel to do sort of a steel challenge. 

So, motivated by our hero Jack Wilson in the Fort Worth shooting I shot the R9 with no practice before hand.  First two shots fired fine and better I hit on the first shot, a miss, then 3 consecutive light strikes, and I think the last two fired fine (I'm pretty sure they were consecutive).  When I say light, they were BARELY dimpled.  I had to look twice on the first round I picked up.  While it was good for the tap-roll-rack drill this incident is very disturbing as I've only had ONE failure since I purchased back in 2008 (pre-owned..previous owner had shot 50 rounds).  I've probably done 800-1000, so I was, until now, quite comfortable carrying this. 

Now, the R9 now sports VZ grips and they're not loose or anything.   I've shot MULTIPLE rounds (well over 150) of the carry ammo: Federal 124g (not +P) HSTs.  NEVER had a failure before.  In fact, I've only had a light strike with S&B years ago (knowing they may fail to light).    The ONLY thing that's changed is that I started using Hornady One Shot. 

The only other ammo I had on hand were old S&B's so I figured I'd have light strikes with them, and I did.  But the same number, but only out of 6 not 7.

So, what am I up against?  Is this solvable by me or does the firing pin need replaced, taken out and cleaned, something else? 

Thanks.

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
Re: First time for my Stealth - MULTIPLE light strikes
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2020, 08:34:24 PM »
My opinion is that Hornady and S&B may have hard primers, possibly from a foreign source. When I was having problems years ago with Hornady Critical Defense light strikes I was told by the Hornady tech rep that they bought primers wherever they could find them. Winchester and Federal make their own and were/are not a problem. Just stick with Federal and Winchester.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2020, 08:45:40 PM by tracker »

Offline BytorJr

• Expert
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2020, 10:25:40 PM »
I knew the S&B would likely light strike but that's a practice load and I was clearing it out of my range bag (ancient).  However, HST IS made by Federal.  Again, I've shot this round for years, never a problem...now a problem.  Same lot and everything.   Maybe the VZ grips or the firing pin spring. 

No way I can trust my life on this now.  Again, never a problem before and I've got a lot of range time in years past with it.  Fully vetted, now it's not.  That's what I don't get.

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2020, 10:57:34 PM »
 I am having a hard time understanding your problem; did HSTs give you a light strike misfire?

Offline BytorJr

• Expert
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2020, 11:37:39 PM »
Exactly.  The HST's had light strikes.  3 of them.  I didn't bring a bunch of carry ammo, I generally shoot the magazine as if I were carrying; then switch to practice ammo.   I did have some old Federal FMJ practice rounds but by then I'd moved on to a full sized weapon for practice.   

Had I had problems before I may be less shocked, but I've shot Federal, Blazer brass, WWB, Remington, Aguilla and never had a light strike.  Hornady too. The only light strike I'd ever had previously was with S&B FMJ (probably that same batch as today's "round 2" effort).  Not worried about that.  I must have picked the S&B up cheap back in the late 00's. 

But when my HST's failed today, that was an attention getting ordeal.  Given that seriously I've ZERO light strikes since 2008s' S&B experience I'm bamboozled. 

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2020, 01:35:52 PM »
Then it must be pistol related as you suggest. Perhaps, Eric could offer some suggestions on springs, etc., or you could call Alex at Williams Gunsight who does R9 repair work now.

Offline MikeInTexas

• Grand Master
  • Hello from Texas
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2020, 03:51:42 PM »
Then it must be pistol related as you suggest. Perhaps, Eric could offer some suggestions on springs, etc., or you could call Alex at Williams Gunsight who does R9 repair work now.

Sound advice.

Williams Gun Sights.  1-800-530-9028

Ask for Alex the Rohrbaugh guy. There is another Alex that does not deal with Rohrbaughs.

Offline ECR

• Grand Master
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2020, 07:09:00 PM »
Hey Jr,

Happy New Year. Sorry to hear you're having issues with the R9. Changing over to Hornady One Shot is not the issue as that is exactly what we used at the factory for servicing the pistols. Does the trigger feel like it's letting off too early perhaps? With the slide removed from the frame, can you take a small punch and press the firing pin in and does it come through well in the breech area?

Let me know about these things and get back to me.
I just returned from a vacation with my wife and I'm around again, so let's see if we can get you up and running, ok? Okay. . . . . .

"Talk" to you soon.

Regards,

Eric R.
Makers of the NRA Shooting Illustrated: "Handgun of the Year for 2005" and receiver of an NRA Golden Bullseye Award.

Offline BytorJr

• Expert
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2020, 07:25:26 PM »
I kind of figured that; but I thought I'd check the forum first.  Glad I did so I know with whom to speak at Williams.  Thanks folks!!

Ooops...I didn't see your reply Eric.  Let me get my dog settled and I'll take it apart and try that. 
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ok, well, firing pin looks very clean,  if I push all the way in I'd say it comes out about 2.5-3mm.  The back in looks like it stick out about 0.75mm.

Trigger feels normal in that it breaks at what feels to be the last 1mm or less of travel of the trigger.  (Guessing, I didn't measure).   I could probably go to the range and this never happen again; but I'm not willing to chance that.   

And a Happy New Year to you and the Mrs. as well.  Hope you enjoyed your holiday.

I really don't mind sending it in to Williams, except UPS and Fed Ex usually just flat out go nuts when you declare a firearm.   Delivery back isn't great either.  I had to send a LWS  gun back twice and that was a nightmare.

ps.  I'm still amazed at how well I shoot this thing (granted, my thumb hurts today :).  Painting the front sight white fingernail really helps.

« Last Edit: January 06, 2020, 09:03:02 PM by BytorJr »

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2020, 02:43:23 PM »
If you find a resolution please let us know.

Offline BytorJr

• Expert
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2020, 07:41:29 PM »
I am going to send it to Williams.  Called them today.  Alex wasn't there but they said just ship it with details on what it was doing.

Offline ECR

• Grand Master
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2020, 09:09:26 PM »
Hello Jr,

Well, from what your telling me, it actually sounds okay. Like you mentioned. . . . you could probably go to the range and it'll be fine.
I don't know why you added "but you don't want to chance that" . . . . . ? 
Anyway, try American Eagle "Red Box" 115 FMJ. That is what we test fired in these pistols. However, if you already made the arrangements to send it out to Williams, they are quite good on the R9 now, so that would be the right thing to do for you and the firearm.
As you know, Karl nor I can touch these anymore, especially since we no longer have an FFL.

Please let us know the outcome once she returns. We would all like to know how you made out with your PUP.

Regards,

Eric R.
Makers of the NRA Shooting Illustrated: "Handgun of the Year for 2005" and receiver of an NRA Golden Bullseye Award.

Offline BytorJr

• Expert
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2020, 09:27:06 PM »
I think my "don't want to chance that" statement was more on chancing carrying it without knowing if it's really fixed?  I could shoot 4 or 5 boxes and feel good but I would not ever really know if something was enough out of spec that it wouldn't work at potentially the most critical time.   

Though, i certainly would not do 4-5 boxes in one day :).   My thumb is still sore.   

It may be worth taking it out this weekend and seeing if now that I've checked the firing pin and blown everything out to see if it will cycle properly.  (I'll buy gloves).  I even have some S&B, so it it will fire those, I'd feel a lot better.   

Couldn't hurt to send it in though.  It's winter time, so more "easy" options available than when it's 95 deg & 65% :).

Offline ECR

• Grand Master
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2020, 10:47:24 PM »
Well then. . . . I'd send it in to Alex and let him go over it.

Like you mention, it's winter right now and probably a good time to have it gone over.

Keep us posted please.

ecr