Author Topic: New Rohrbaugh Models -- Breaking News!  (Read 9208 times)

Offline pbwe

Re: New Rohrbaugh Models -- Breaking News!
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2007, 10:29:50 PM »
What would not be a long time comming would a SSt R9 frame.  Which would sell now, and remove the unaesthietic galling, which for guns priced at this level, with the implied numismatic value, should be a given.

Offline riffraff

• Master
« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2007, 05:37:11 AM »
pbwe,

I agree with you completly.  For me weight is not a factor with this gun it is the size that makes it perfect.  I would love to see a SS framed R9.

Mike
NRA Benefactor Member
FCSA Life Member

Offline PlayboyPenguin

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2007, 05:43:54 AM »
I would sell a kidney (maybe even my own :D ) tomorrow to buy the SS R9 is they came out with it.  :)
"Laugh all you want, but when the zombies come we both know whose house you will be running to for protection."
[SIZE="1"]- My response to friends that laugh at me for collecting guns[/SIZE]

Offline pbwe

« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2007, 11:00:53 AM »
Somebody bring me down to earth here, but an SSt R9 WITH bona fide +P ammo capability would obviate the firepower rationale for a short barrel 45.  It would be an excuse for filling print space that the cojones hacks at the gun mags would eat up.  A 45 draws way too much comparative fire.  Rohrbaugh owns the pocketable 9mm market, why not build there?

Offline mshechte

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #19 on: August 12, 2007, 02:12:49 PM »
Gator,
    I was told that the R45 would be introduced at the 2008 Shot Show, and be ready for retail sale by late spring, early summer 08. I already have a deposit on one with Irish Guard.
Mark
" If Guns kill people...then all of mine are Defective "    Ted Nugent.

Offline riffraff

• Master
« Reply #20 on: August 12, 2007, 03:23:59 PM »
pbwe and all,

Rohrbaugh seems to have fine customer service and their front office persona in Maria is good to deal with.

That said, I agree with you that there seems to be a couple of no brainers that Rohrbaugh should do but they don't seem to have any interest in doing them.  They can run their business how they wish and we can also complain as we wish.

I am not sure a SS frame would help any with reliability with P ammo though.  The gun is just so small.  I personally don't care about +P.  9mm is fine.  I have carried a 380, a 22lr and was carrying 32's before I got my R9.  I am very satisfied with standard pressure 9mm.

Mike
NRA Benefactor Member
FCSA Life Member

Offline JohnBT

« Reply #21 on: August 12, 2007, 09:23:05 PM »
Galling?

I just did forum searches on gall and galling (going back 365 days) and the only two mentions of it are in this thread.

The new guns look good.

John

Offline PsychoSword

• Expert
« Reply #22 on: August 12, 2007, 09:36:39 PM »
It looks really cool and all, but I don't recall a demand for an even 1337er version of the already Elite R9.

There is alot of demand for a full stainless version which is hopefully being taken note of by the company.

Offline PsychoSword

• Expert
« Reply #23 on: August 12, 2007, 09:39:48 PM »
pbwe and all,

Rohrbaugh seems to have fine customer service and their front office persona in Maria is good to deal with.

That said, I agree with you that there seems to be a couple of no brainers that Rohrbaugh should do but they don't seem to have any interest in doing them.  They can run their business how they wish and we can also complain as we wish.

I am not sure a SS frame would help any with reliability with P ammo though.  The gun is just so small.  I personally don't care about +P.  9mm is fine.  I have carried a 380, a 22lr and was carrying 32's before I got my R9.  I am very satisfied with standard pressure 9mm.

Mike

I agree with you. The slide may have to be beefed up a little since that is where alot of the cracks originated and the slide is of course stainless steel. I don't think that should be a big problem to do though. I'd buy an all stainless R9 in a heartbeat.

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
« Reply #24 on: August 12, 2007, 10:22:05 PM »
I would have liked to have kept this thread to comments on the new "models" rather than complaints about what should have been made...

Obviously the new models are not "new models" at all -- they are different versions of the same gun that have had a lot of extra cosmetic attention to them for those who want that.  

So, I am not sure discussions of different guns or different materials they should have used make a lot of sense in this context.  

The brothers have their hands full cranking out R-9s right now, and my guess is they would like to start recouping some of their investment in R&D, equipment and years of working for nothing.  Other models will be forthcoming at some point.  The R-380 will be first.

I think the Elite models will be desireable for those who collect guns -- not those who are looking for an everyday carry pistol.
Duane (DDGator)
Rohrbaugh Forum Administrator
E-mail: Admin-at-RohrbaughForum.com

Offline riffraff

• Master
« Reply #25 on: August 12, 2007, 10:27:59 PM »
PsychoSword,

You are right.  The only structural failures to date have been the slide.  For +P the slide would have to be widened or some better probably much more expensive material would have to be used.  So a SS framed R9 with +P capeability would really be a totally new handgun.  Even a regular SS framed R9 might probably be cost prohibitive.  Casting and machineing SS would be quite a bit more expensive than alluminum alloy.

JohnBT,

If you have an R9 and have fired more than 100rds or so and you DON'T have any frame galling then I think you are in the minority of R9 owners.

Mike
NRA Benefactor Member
FCSA Life Member

Offline PsychoSword

• Expert
« Reply #26 on: August 13, 2007, 02:37:01 AM »
Have not heard of the frame galling issue myself. Where does this occur on the frame? Mine probably only has about a hundred rounds or so.

Offline riffraff

• Master
« Reply #27 on: August 13, 2007, 09:59:58 AM »
DDGator,

Sorry to go off thread topic but that is the nature of message boards.  Threads usually wind up going all over the place.

PsychoSword,

Look on the inside of the frame from just in front of the trigger the whole length all the way to the front.  If you only have finish wear that is great.  Many have more than just finish wear.  It will be very evident.  If you got it you will know.  This only occours in certain places and seems to happen and then stop so it is not a progressively worsening thing.

Mike
NRA Benefactor Member
FCSA Life Member

Offline mshechte

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #28 on: August 13, 2007, 03:59:01 PM »
That's not Galling...The Pup's just telling you where she want's lube.  ;)
" If Guns kill people...then all of mine are Defective "    Ted Nugent.

Offline JohnBT

« Reply #29 on: August 14, 2007, 03:19:23 PM »
I did some searches and the pics I saw showed no evidence of galling. There was very heavy wear, but it didn't look like any galling I've ever seen. Heavy scratches - yes, galling - no.

John