Author Topic: Hornady Critical Defense Ammo in New Stealth  (Read 4070 times)

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
Re: Hornady Critical Defense Ammo in New Stealth
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2009, 07:38:00 PM »
I'm with Scax on Critical Defense ammo. Today at the range--first
time in awhile--I fired 14 rounds of WWB for a warm-up. I intended
to shoot only 7 rounds of the CD if things went well because of its
scarcity. The accuracy of the WWB at 15 ft. was only mediocre but
the 7 rounds of CD looked like a guided laser on the target in compar-
ison. The performance was so stunning that I fired another six rounds,
,after a cool down, with the same accuracy. Most results were in the 10
ring with a few in the 9 circle. All 27 trigger pulls functioned flawlessly
in the R9. The Critical Defense ammo just moved up to carry status.

« Last Edit: May 20, 2009, 08:19:26 PM by tracker »

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2009, 08:49:25 PM »
Glad to hear that!!  Still holding a box for when I run out of Silvertips which will be a good while.  Still good to know.   :)   :)
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline yankee2500

• Grand Master
« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2009, 10:59:05 PM »
  The Critical Defense have been my carry ammo for the last three months, the R9s likes them and so do I.
John
« Last Edit: May 20, 2009, 11:00:14 PM by yankee2500 »
"THE KING OF BATTLE"

"Cha togar m' fhearg gun dìoladh"

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."
Thomas Jefferson

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2009, 11:05:21 PM »
I'm still getting good results from the Silvertips, but I'll definitely keep the Critical Defense for reserve.
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline sdlsaginaw

• Expert
« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2009, 12:20:19 AM »
Here's what I got last weekend.  

The first is Hornady, 5 out of 20 didn't fire first time.  Primer is flat on all of them, however there IS a dent on the one that didn't fire which I removed instead of hitting again.

The second is PMC, all 25 fired great.  Primer does show some metal pealed to the side though about the 1 o'clock position.  It's that way on both the cases I found.

The third is some brass I accidently picked up.  I don't know what it was fired from, but it looks alot more 'normal' than either of the R9-fired rounds.  On that round the metal around the strike is smooth.  On both of the R9-fired rounds the metal around the strike has a sharp edge.

I do know that I had primer fragments from the Hornady, one case I have still has a piece hanging from it.  It's possible I got some from the PMC as well, now that I see it's odd too.

Anyway, can someone else compare the strikes on their primers to what I'm seeing?

[update] I remembered the cases sent with the pistol, so I had a look.  They are marked "F C".  One has a perfect dot in the primer, the second has a gouge running from it.  It's like the firing pin is still engaged in the primer when the barrel starts to drop?

« Last Edit: May 21, 2009, 12:34:50 AM by sdlsaginaw »

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #20 on: May 21, 2009, 08:12:11 AM »
It does seem like there's a problem somewhere.  With no problems firing the PMC, but with primer odd looks, that still seems strange.  I'd be interested to know how Silvertips perform in your R9 once you find them, though don't know what that would have to do with how the primers are being struck.