Author Topic: Rohrbaugh's Rebuttal to Gun Tests -- Read It Here  (Read 50650 times)

Offline RJ HEDLEY

• Grand Master
  •         
Re: Rohrbaugh's Rebuttal to Gun Tests -- Read It H
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2004, 10:04:28 AM »
Richard_S
I read your post up to this point, "NEMO ME IMPUNE LACESSIT".  

This must have been taught of the couple of those days I cut classes.   I was told I would live to regret those times I spent on the lake shore, drowning worms.

If I will be billed for your clarfication, please advise in advance.
RJ=

Offline shooterjb

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2004, 11:26:19 AM »
Duane,

Thank you very much for posting the Michael Ward rebuttal of Gun Tests R9S/PM9 article. I subscribed to Gun Tests almost since its inception. In the past, I have noticed inconsistencies in some of their articles and have put them down to differences in individual guns and reviewers.

After reading Mr. Ward's rebuttal, I am canceling my subscription to Gun Tests. They are not only as bad as the regular firearms magazines, but much worse since they do such a good job of pretending to be objective. The word "Slimy" comes to mind.

Frank

Offline GeorgeH

• Master
« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2004, 03:18:57 PM »
How about this: Why not ask Gun Tests to compare the Rohrbaugh with the Seecamp 380.

They are both pocket guns that retail for about the same. Compare apples to apples.

Offline GeorgeH

• Master
« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2004, 04:06:38 PM »
I just reread the reply. I still love it. However, boy was Michael pissed when he wrote it.

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
  • Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2004, 04:28:17 PM »
[size=13] However, boy was Michael pissed when he wrote it.[/size]

Quite agree George - and so I think would most of us have been in his position .. not to mention what Karl and Eric musta thought!

However, .. that taken into consideration - I think he managed to remain remarkably polite!!!  As I think I mentioned before - one could well imagine the wish to include a few expletives! :D
Chris - R9S
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
R9 FAQ Site
NRA Life member and Certified Instructor.

Offline gunner930

« Reply #20 on: July 31, 2004, 05:10:08 PM »
 I dont think they'd bother to publish a shorter letter either. The fact they were so sloppy with the facts in the test makes me doubt any printing of the letter almost 100%.
 I too would like to see a comparison test of the Seecamp .32 and the R9 but I'm not so sure I'd want Gun Tests to do it.  ;D
I dont get the chance to read gun magazines very often (too busy snooping around the web, ha ha) but would like to start searching for articles requarding tests of some of the guns I own and (in my opinion of course), see just how accurate they were.
 Being a car enthusiast, I learned long ago the tests many car mags. published were biased and/or way off. I'd say Mr. Winkle had decided he wouldn't like the R9 way before he ever tested it.
 Gunner930

Offline GeorgeH

• Master
« Reply #21 on: July 31, 2004, 05:47:14 PM »
Hi Gunner:

I use to get Gun Tests. They have published replies from manufacturers before. Overall, I did like the rag. I didn't agree with it always, but I respected their opinion. This review was different. It was sloppy. The review's author was lazy. He didn't even bother to read the manual. To compound the problem, they tested a pocket gun against a compact firearm. (It was like comparing a Volvo station wagon against a Corvette, and then complain that the Vett didn't have enough room for both the baby and the wife.)

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
  • Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
« Reply #22 on: July 31, 2004, 05:58:45 PM »
[size=13]Why not ask Gun Tests to compare the Rohrbaugh with the Seecamp 380.[/size]

Now that George would indeed have been a much wiser choice for a comparison test.  As you point out - the PM9 really- well IMO anyways too - does count much more as a compact as against ''true'' pocket, par excellence... or being charitable maybe even say ''sub-compact''.
Chris - R9S
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
R9 FAQ Site
NRA Life member and Certified Instructor.

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #23 on: July 31, 2004, 06:42:51 PM »
RJ:

The motto can be translated from the Latin as, "No one attacks me with impunity."  It is of Scottish origin and is said to have first appeared on the coins of James VI of Scotland (James I of England).  It was emblazoned on the flag of the Richmond Rifle Rangers in the American Revolutionary War, is used today by some British military units, and is the motto of the Order of the Thistle.  It is also often associated with Police Memorial Day in the United States.

RS
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline RJ HEDLEY

• Grand Master
  •         
« Reply #24 on: July 31, 2004, 07:53:18 PM »
"No one attacks me with impunity."

Thank you for that bit of history,  the sun is going down, but you made me smarter today that I was yesterday..

The way I would put it is,"Slap me if you must, but the slaps aren't free"   ;D
RJ=

Offline MurrayNevada

• Expert
« Reply #25 on: July 31, 2004, 10:23:16 PM »
RJ:

The motto can be translated from the Latin as, "No one attacks me with impunity."  It is of Scottish origin and is said to have first appeared on the coins of James VI of Scotland (James I of England).  It was emblazoned on the flag of the Richmond Rifle Rangers in the American Revolutionary War, is used today by some British military units, and is the motto of the Order of the Thistle.  It is also often associated with Police Memorial Day in the United States.

RS

It is also the motto of the Montresor family in Poe's The Cask of Amontillado:

Here I knocked off the neck of a bottle which I drew from a long row of its fellows that lay upon the mould.

"Drink," I said, presenting him the wine.

He raised it to his lips with a leer. He paused and nodded to me familiarly, while his bells jingled.

"I drink," he said, "to the buried that repose around us."

"And I to your long life."

He again took my arm and we proceeded.

"These vaults," he said, are extensive."

"The Montresors," I replied, "were a great numerous family."

"I forget your arms."

"A huge human foot d'or, in a field azure; the foot crushes a serpent rampant whose fangs are imbedded in the heel."

"And the motto?"

"Nemo me impune lacessit."

"Good!" he said.

Ya gotta love Poe

Offline gunner930

« Reply #26 on: August 01, 2004, 02:39:36 PM »
 Hello GeorgeH, I'm totally with ya. One must judge something for what it is. In my first post, I referred to pocket pistols as compacts. I do know the difference but at one time compact (to me at least) meant a pocket pistol. My first gun purchase was a S&W 6906 which I chose because it was smaller than most 9mm's at the time. I never thought of it as compact though. I do now know it is considered a compact just as my R9s is a pocket pistol.
 Oh well, just correcting my error. If there is a place one should correct errors, Its definately here! L.O.L.  :D

Offline Bandit

« Reply #27 on: August 03, 2004, 01:01:34 AM »
Fact 6:  Your description of the size as “slightly smaller” does not do the pistol justice, nor does the angle of the photography on page 11, in which the guns are side by side.  True pictures reveal the exact size differences. (please see the RohrbaughForum.com in which Mr. R.J. Hedley and R9SCarry show direct comparisons)

I'm sure I'll get dogpiled on by the partisan crowd in here, as usual, but.... I could not find a post by R9SCarry showing a direct comparison btwn these two guns.  Don't know what Mr. Ward was referring to.... ???

Offline gunner930

« Reply #28 on: August 03, 2004, 02:13:52 AM »
 Hi, the pics are under forum topic "Kahr PM9--Rohrbaugh R9s" a little ways down from RJ Hedleys pics. All are fine comparison pics.

Offline Bandit

« Reply #29 on: August 03, 2004, 06:00:12 PM »
Hi, the pics are under forum topic "Kahr PM9--Rohrbaugh R9s" a little ways down from RJ Hedleys pics.

uh, no they are not  :(