Author Topic: Rohrbaugh's Rebuttal to Gun Tests -- Read It Here  (Read 50717 times)

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
Re: Rohrbaugh's Rebuttal to Gun Tests -- Read It H
« Reply #60 on: October 04, 2004, 10:45:42 PM »
O.k.  O.k.  Enough.  I call a truce here.   I would prefer not to lock this thread -- it has been linked to all over the internet.  

This is a strong, supportive community.  TCat, you gotta pay your dues here and earn a little respect before you start taking members to task over their strong opinions about the R-9.  Your first post could be construed as hostile -- so you can expect a defensive tone.  Expect the same result at the S&W Forum, the Ruger Forum, Glock Talk or elsewhere.  I think you have gotten constructive answers to your questions -- lets let it go at that.

Duane (DDGator)
Rohrbaugh Forum Administrator
E-mail: Admin-at-RohrbaughForum.com

Offline Fud

• Master
« Reply #61 on: October 04, 2004, 10:47:57 PM »
Since this thread has basicly turned into a free-for-all where everybody is speaking what's on their mind  ;D let me add my $0.02 worth in as well  :)

I purchased the MK9 (same as a PM9 except it has a steel frame) when it first came out. It was going to be my "always" gun. I wanted to like it. I tried to like it but I just couldn't. It didn't have a hammer. It was internally striker fired. And, it had no safety.

I had no clue as to what was going on in there. That's not entirely correct. I've seen the animated diagrams on how the gun functions internally. I even downloaded the animated GIF file. However, I still felt uneasy about carrying one in the pipe. Instead, more and more I found myself carrying it with an empty chamber which was not a good move tactically because when you really need a gun those few seconds that it takes to rack the slide could change the outcome of things.

As a result, the MK9 was spending more & more time in the dafe and I found myself carrying a J-frame instead. True, it also didn't have a safety but it did have a hammer that I could see rising & falling.

Eventually, I ended up selling the MK9.

I recently became the proud owner of a R9S. This gun is everything that I originally wanted the MK9 to be and more. Actually, less but in this case less is more  :P

I am VERY happy with my R9S. In addition to being smaller & lighter than the Kahr, it also has a repeat striker capability which is lacking on the Kahrs.

A lot of people overlook this very important feature which is present on the Rohrbaugh but missing on the Kahrs. More likely than not, these guns will be used up-close and personal. If the gun should misfire, on the Rohrbaughs, all you have to do is pull the trigger again to drop the hammer a second time on the primer. According to Masaad, three-fifths of the time a second strike will set off most rounds.

Three-fifths ... that's better than fifty-fifty. With the Rohrbaugh I have a better than 50-50 chance of the round firing when I pull the trigger again. With the Kahrs, the striker has to be reset and if you're struggling with somebody, you are unlikely going to be able to get both hands free long enough to accomplish that task.

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
« Reply #62 on: October 04, 2004, 10:51:27 PM »

There was not a pin recall -- or any kind of a recall.  There was a materials change from 440 to 17-4 PH steel.  The new pin is available at no cost to any owner and is now standard equipment.  The old pins are not considered bad and an upgrade is not required.

Two people experienced problems with the barrel pin that caused functioning problems.  I believe those problems have been fully rectified.

IWB means "inside the waistband" and refers to a holster which attaches to the belt (by loops or clips), but the gun rides inside the belt and inside the waistband of the pants.
Duane (DDGator)
Rohrbaugh Forum Administrator
E-mail: Admin-at-RohrbaughForum.com

Offline rtw

• Expert
« Reply #63 on: October 05, 2004, 12:01:47 AM »
Well this is all very interesting to me. In talking with Eric today, I learned that I still have a couple of months to wait before I get my R9S. I haven't seen one, much less shot one yet. I did decide that the only way I was going to sort this gun out for myself was to buy one. If I find that it isn't for me, I'll sell it. No big deal, really-I'm not marrying it.

I have been searching all over this internet, checking into any number of forums, and comparing lots of different guns. It seems that every gun has its proponents and detractors. Plus, I haven't yet found any group that hasn't experienced some sort of problem with their "favorite". They are mechanical devices after all-they're not perfect like us humans.

I do expect that the R9 will be a challenge for me. It needs to be cleaner than I am used to. It has certain limits for the ammo that it likes.In short, it appears to be less tolerant of its operating environment than I am used to. That's the tradeoff one needs to be ready to accept with this gun and its tight tolerances. In return, I believe that you get the best caliber/size/quality package on the market. I NEED a pocket/deep concealment gun if I am to carry concealed at all. Other guns, which I have seen, are either a little bigger and, thus, a little tougher to conceal in a pocket with certain pants, or of a "lessor" caliber.

In short, I haven't yet found my "perfect" gun. Actual experience with the R9S will be my real and only guide. Hopefully, I'll be able to update you on my experience by Christmas. And to all, a good night...
Welcome home

Offline GeorgeH

• Master
« Reply #64 on: October 05, 2004, 07:37:12 AM »
Hi TCat:

"IWB" means "inside waistband." It refers to a type of holster worn inside the waistband of a pair of slacks. AN IWB holster is less comfortable than a belt holster, but is far easier to conceal.

Offline RJ HEDLEY

• Grand Master
  •         
« Reply #65 on: October 05, 2004, 11:41:15 AM »
 "I did decide that the only way I was going to sort this gun out for myself was to buy one. If I find that it isn't for me, I'll sell it. No big deal, really-I'm not marrying it. "    rtw

That's the way normal people do it.  Like most of us here. I will try to say no more.   :-X :P

~~
Thanks Gator, for calming the waters...
« Last Edit: October 05, 2004, 11:42:45 AM by RHEDLEY »
RJ=

Offline BlueGrips

• Expert
« Reply #66 on: June 14, 2005, 12:49:12 PM »
ttt!

I propose that this thread should be sticky allowing all visitors to read. Oldie but goodie!

Cheers!

Offline BillinPittsburgh

• Master
« Reply #67 on: June 15, 2005, 12:11:51 AM »
I am STILL waiting for the refund on the remainder of the Gun Tests subscription I cancelled 5+ months ago.
Gentleness can only be expected from the strong.  Ancient Chinese proverb.

Offline Michigunner

• Grand Master
« Reply #68 on: June 15, 2005, 09:33:34 AM »
I had to contact them several times when my subscription was cancelled.

Eventually, they did put a credit on my card account.

Offline doubletapMike

• Expert
« Reply #69 on: June 28, 2005, 02:07:13 AM »
Well said. It's great to finally see someone stand up for the whole truth, and not some slanted, baised verson. It was long overdue.

DoubletapMike
doubletapMike

Offline speed-six

« Reply #70 on: August 16, 2005, 12:39:51 PM »
 >:(I've been reading everything I could get my hands on about guns since I was 8---now I'm 7 times that, and I found(and yes, I paid for my subscription) his  reports to be slanted and boring---seemed to me that he'd pick a favorite and then show why the other one didn't measure up..... On the other hand-Mas is one of the most objective  and fair evaluators I've read (I'M prejudiced because I'm an ex-cop and fhave often pestered training officers with his articles)...not surprised he could shoot it and would love to read an evaluation by him....This gun would be used at 3-10 feet more than 15 yards----and RELIABILITY is everything in a oh-sh--grabit gun.....sounds like I'm going to have to work harder-I'm not one of the elite target market but I DO have a birthday!!!!!! Happy birthday to ME--form ME!!!

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
  • Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
« Reply #71 on: August 16, 2005, 01:57:30 PM »
speed-six - well, welcome from me to the forum :)

And - happy Birthday too!!  (shucks, you are nearly as old as me! ) :D
Chris - R9S
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
R9 FAQ Site
NRA Life member and Certified Instructor.

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #72 on: August 16, 2005, 05:59:20 PM »
speed-six:

Welcome to the Forum from another "Mas fan!"  It's a great group of people around this campfire.
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline salsashooter

« Reply #73 on: January 04, 2008, 11:58:27 PM »
I have no't, as yet, ordered my Rohrbaugh pistol.  I will probably soon.  I thought it would be good to hear from a potential customer who was almost lost because of the article you rebutted.  

Like most people now days I cruised the net before making up my mind.  That article turned me off to the product so badly that I was about to buy a Kel-tec .380 instead (not that they are such great guns - but they are small).  I wasn't about to spend over $1000 for something that I could not count on in a pinch.  Really it wasn't even the money I considered most as I am, as they say, pretty well loaded.

I was taken in by the article and am very glad that I have been fortunate enough to be set straight by the rebuttal.  It was long -  and I liked that.  It covered all the bases and satisfied me as to the bogus nature of the review in question.  The rebuttal coupled with the enthusiasum of owners like yourselves sold me again on the idea that I must have this gun for concealment (I need a SMALL gun).  If I had settled for a .380 instead, I'd forever be nervous about it's abilities to defend me.  Now I don't have to compromise.  

The rebuttal has done it's job and Rohrbaugh has another customer.

MARV

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #74 on: January 06, 2008, 12:17:13 AM »
Good on ya, mate and welcome aboard when you do make
that choice. It is a wise man who listens, watches, and
changes a previous opinion.