Author Topic: Pup off to be groomed  (Read 39786 times)

Offline Reinz

• Grand Master
Re: Pup off to be groomed
« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2009, 11:06:49 PM »
This is Robar I was talking to and they have set prices on there web site, the  backstrap or front on any gun is $160. My thought was on the R9 there was less area than on a double stack 1911 and may be cheaper. Only shows how wrong you can be sometimes.
John

You are absolutely right. While I was in town  I went to Robar in person last year to have 2 guns worked on and completely refinished.
There is definite "attitude" there, but in a profiessional sort of way.
The finish is superb.  But they did not get the sights done the way I requested.

Reinz
NRA- LIFE  TSRA- LIFE  SASS-LIFE

Offline ACP

• Grand Master
« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2009, 02:35:52 PM »
In my experience as a professional buyer a published price list matters; particularly when the end user is the US Military. However, it could never hurt to ask.

These are troubled times and the buyer has more power than he may realize. John's timing, however, was not good as they already had the R9 when he initiated his inquiry as to stipling.
Those who turn their guns into plowshares end up plowing for those that do not - Thomas Jefferson

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2009, 03:30:33 PM »
My take on "attitude" in "troubled times" is "that dog
won't hunt."

Offline Reinz

• Grand Master
« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2009, 07:35:53 PM »
My take on "attitude" in "troubled times" is "that dog
won't hunt."

I agree totally!  

As it can definitely affect repeat business.  

As a business owner in this same industry, I hope I never carry that same "attitude" ever.

Will I return to Robar with more work to be done?   Maybe, if so it will probalbly be refinish only, and then communication will be overkill.

Reinz
NRA- LIFE  TSRA- LIFE  SASS-LIFE

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #19 on: July 07, 2009, 09:23:15 PM »
I remember that when I called Tripp Research to discuss some work on a Heckler & Koch P7, the owner of the business, Virgil Tripp, answered the telephone on the second ring and spent nearly 30 minutes discussing with me the various options available to accomplish what I wanted to have done. That's the only time I've experienced customer service in this area which even approaches that offered by Rohrbaugh. Why the personnel of some of these companies seem to have adopted what my grandson might call a "'tude" escapes me.
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline yankee2500

• Grand Master
« Reply #20 on: July 07, 2009, 09:33:54 PM »
In my experience as a professional buyer a published price list matters; particularly when the end user is the US Military. However, it could never hurt to ask.

These are troubled times and the buyer has more power than he may realize. John's timing, however, was not good as they already had the R9 when he initiated his inquiry as to stipling.

When I called them to ask about doing the stipple work the gun was not there yet but was on the way.
I don't have a problem with them quoting me there published price, but I think it is high for any pistol, not just  the R9.
  But it's there business and they can set the prices as they see fit. I take it as a sign that I didn't need stippling ;D
John
"THE KING OF BATTLE"

"Cha togar m' fhearg gun dìoladh"

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."
Thomas Jefferson

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #21 on: July 07, 2009, 10:22:02 PM »
That is interesting about Virgil Tripp because I was thinking
the same thing about him earlier. I met him several years ago
at my gunsmith's house with his brother. He took two of my guns,
an Hk P7-M8 and a BHP, back to Alpine with him and refinished
them in a couple of weeks. He is a first class gentleman and a
superb craftsman.

i was sorry to hear that he stopped refinishing guns.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2009, 10:22:53 PM by tracker »

Offline ACP

• Grand Master
« Reply #22 on: July 08, 2009, 08:15:39 AM »
My story: When the Glock 36 (single stack .45) came out in the 1990's the advertisement read "available now". It was not and I moved heaven and earth to get one.

I faxed Gaston Glock and was referred to Glock National Sales manager in Georgia. I pestered them for a awhile and they took the "available now" off their advertising.

Finally, I was the first on my block to get one and the Glock 36 remains one of my favorite guns. Pretty? NO. But accurate and effective? YES.
Those who turn their guns into plowshares end up plowing for those that do not - Thomas Jefferson

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #23 on: July 08, 2009, 10:33:54 AM »
I agree on the Glock 36.

Offline ACP

• Grand Master
« Reply #24 on: July 08, 2009, 01:25:36 PM »
Thank you tracker. The Glock 36 is distinguished by the absence of a picitinny rail which I think looks stupid. Yes, I know, gun owners like to follow LEO and military but I think the picitinny rail spoils the lines on the underside of the frame and barrel.

If it were an OPTION, not a problem. I would avoid it and order guns without the picitinny rail. Howevr, it is NOT an option (you know, like obama's government) and far too many guns (including kel-tecs with microscopic barrel lengths) feature this contraption.

For night useage I prefer my anodized black aluminum LED flashlight (weak hand over strong hand). And, when day breaks, my guns are not stained with that stupid rail!

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #25 on: July 08, 2009, 02:05:09 PM »
I agree!  I don't like the rail either.   It definitely should be an option.
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline ACP

• Grand Master
« Reply #26 on: July 08, 2009, 08:14:50 PM »
I bought a Sig P220 a year ago. I had owned an earlier version and had sold it. The P220, in my view, is one of the best double action standard size pistols out there.

After I bought the gun I could not get beyond the picitinny rail and I sold it. Now I would like to buy a decent used P220 without the picitinny rail.

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #27 on: July 08, 2009, 08:52:32 PM »
I bought a Sig P220 a year ago. I had owned an earlier version and had sold it. The P220, in my view, is one of the best double action standard size pistols out there.

After I bought the gun I could not get beyond the picitinny rail and I sold it. Now I would like to buy a decent used P220 without the picitinny rail.

ACP:

Here's one in .45 ACP -- expensive . . . but beautiful.  8)

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=133672099

Or this one in 9mm, more of a utilitarian type:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=133511978#PIC

« Last Edit: July 08, 2009, 09:00:07 PM by Richard_S »
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline Fat Boy

• Expert
  • R9s Stealth
« Reply #28 on: July 08, 2009, 10:47:14 PM »
This P220 is my flavor and shoots like a dream and as a ccw I feel at peace with the world and all is well.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=133691403
Good Luck,
Fat Boy
EDC: HTC Touch Pro, Rohrbaugh R9, Dereelight C2H, Pocket Bible, CRT, Leather Tri-fold, SS Peanut Lighter, Bobster

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #29 on: July 08, 2009, 11:07:25 PM »
Now, that is a beautiful piece; I own two earlier Sigs and love
them, too.

As far as the Rail feature, I am not fond of its looks but have
decided to have one "night gun", a Glock 19, with an Insight XTI
Procyon hung underneath. It improves the looks considerably,
especially with 125 lumens and a strobe function that is blinding
to those on the other end. It is very simple to use and i feel very
comfortable with it at home at night. It never has to see the light
of day because there are others without rails to serve that function.