Author Topic: Need help  Pup will not feed       with pics  (Read 9408 times)

Offline HankHill

Re: Need help  Pup will not feed       with pics
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2009, 11:39:53 PM »
The ports are the same as yours. I think I will try the spring thing first and go from there.
If all else fails I have one hell of a paper weight.

Hank Hill
Propane, the fuel of the future

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2009, 11:13:31 AM »
The ports are the same as yours. I think I will try the spring thing first and go from there.

Or the finest single-shot 9mm handgun in the world.   ;)

[Edited to note that, on my earlier post referring to removing one coil from the "open" end of the recoil spring, I showed the vintage of my R9 No. 132 and the large supply of original spare recoil springs I collected back in 2004 and some of which I still have on hand. The original recoil springs were open at the forward end (the end under the cup) and formed or closed at the rear (the end which fits against the collar). A photo of the original spring design can be seen toward the bottom of the page at this link:

http://www.acbsystems.com/boards/rohrbaugh/basefile/r9-detail-pics.htm

The new recoil springs, of course, are formed or closed at both ends, eliminating one source of problems if the original springs were installed backwards. In any event, if you're working with the new style of recoil spring and were to remove one coil for experimentation, the newly opened end should be installed in the forward position under the cup rather than against the collar.]
« Last Edit: March 30, 2009, 12:18:39 PM by Richard_S »
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline Quiet1

• Expert
  • Zen and the art of R9s
« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2009, 05:12:53 PM »
Hank,
That is one beautiful pistola!  I'm really hoping that a recoil spring change solves your problem.  I feel you pain amigo.  Please keep us appraised of your progress in solving the mystery.  Good luck!  (and welcome to the forum.)
« Last Edit: March 31, 2009, 05:20:50 PM by Quiet1 »
Illegitimus Non Carborundum

ccoorreeyy

« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2009, 11:11:47 PM »
Any updates yet?  Hope all is well.

ccoorreeyy

« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2009, 04:21:38 PM »
I have a update (kinda).  I traded Hank out of his custom R9.  I picked up custom II (now I have both custom I and II) at the FFL this morning.  It does indeed look great.  I shot it twice in the indoor tube trap and it jamed just like expected both rounds.  I noticed that the ejector was much easer to push down in the back than on my other R9's.  I'm thinking/hoping that a new ejector spring will infact solve the case.  I changed out the grips to some of the newer style G10 checkered grips.  When changing them I noticed that ever screw was loose and after taking them out the Alum. grips wiggled around a bit.  I've had three other sets of the Alum. grips and all fit very tight.  It may be possible that the loose grips are part of the equation.  Tonight I will break it down and see how she looks inside.  I think I might polish the chamber while I got it apart.  I don't have any extra extractors or extractor springs but depending on what I see tonight I might be ordering me a pair.  Wish me luck!

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #20 on: May 19, 2009, 04:29:39 PM »
Good luck Corey; I wish you nothing but the best with custom II.

Offline sdlsaginaw

• Expert
« Reply #21 on: May 19, 2009, 06:35:33 PM »
Corey, that's the same problem I had with my aluminum grips.  They don't fit the pins well, the screws work loose, then the pins hammer on the sides of the holes.  

Maria indicated they had consistency problems from the manufacturer.

I think we're out of luck with IDM too, not responding to PM queries anymore.  Our grip choices are rapidly deteriorating.  :'(

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #22 on: May 19, 2009, 06:38:31 PM »
Best of luck, Corey!!  Sounds like you know what to look for.
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline ACP

• Grand Master
« Reply #23 on: May 19, 2009, 08:19:26 PM »
Good luck Corey and please post your findings.
Those who turn their guns into plowshares end up plowing for those that do not - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
« Reply #24 on: May 20, 2009, 08:00:43 AM »
Good luck, Corey!  To pharaphrase the old Star Trek introductory sequence, you are now preparing "to boldly go where no man has gone before."  [size=10][Split infinitive in the original.  ;) ] [/size]

[size=10]Edit: Typo.[/size]
« Last Edit: May 23, 2009, 09:02:39 AM by Richard_S »
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

ccoorreeyy

« Reply #25 on: May 22, 2009, 11:30:09 PM »
Well I took it down and found that the extractor did not look just right (to me anyway).  I called up and ordered a new one along with extractor spring and roll pin.  I'll give that a try along with a new recoil spring.  I know Hankhill had experimented with cutting the recoil spring trying to get somthing to work and I will also if the extractor is not the problem but I will start with a new one when I put her back together.  I hope the parts will be here tomorrow.  I'll post results as they happen, good or bad.  Here is a pic of the spring I took out of the gun beside a new one.  I tried to get a pic of the extractor lip but could not show what I wanted so I scrapped it.

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
« Reply #26 on: May 23, 2009, 09:12:03 AM »
Corey:

Way to go! This is fascinating to watch, and I'm thinking that you are about to save that R9 from an early grave. Thanks for keeping us informed.  8)
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #27 on: May 23, 2009, 10:23:13 AM »
Corey!  I think you'll getter done!   :D   :D  Looks like you're on the way to solving the problem.  Thanks for the pictures.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2009, 10:24:08 AM by kjtrains »
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

ccoorreeyy

« Reply #28 on: May 23, 2009, 02:51:59 PM »
Thanks for all the best wishes!

Well, my parts did not come today  :'( and I was hoping to start my venture so I started without the parts  ::).  I replaced the recoil spring with a new "old style" spring with the open end.  Put her all back together with a splash of oil and dug out a new "old style" mag that has the weaker mag springs in them.  

Then I headed out back with 4 bullets (WWB).  Loaded all 4 in mag, racked the slide and pulled the trigger.  Boom------jam.  Ok, cleared it and tried again.  Boom------jam.  Decided to try it with no mag in it to see what would happen.  Boom-----looked ok.  Hmmmmm, but wait  the empty case was still in the chamber.  I start thinking that it might be like a Seecamp and need the mag to eject the case so I put the mag back in with the last bullet,  rack the slide, Boom-----case is still in it.    

So I go back to the gun room and pull back the slide slowly and see that it ejects all the way at the back of the slide cycle.  Now i'm pretty sure that the recoil spring is to strong because of the porting and is not letting the slide make full cycle to eject the case.  It's rechambering the shot shell case.

I will now start clipping the recoil spring down a half coil at a time and see what happens.  Be back in a bit and let you guys know.

ccoorreeyy

« Reply #29 on: May 23, 2009, 03:15:42 PM »
I took 3 bullets out this time.  First shot and it worked!  ;D  Second shot it jammed  :( .  Third shot with no more in the mag it did not eject and it did rechamber the empty case.  Maybe i'm getting closer but still have more work to do but am having fun so all is well.  

« Last Edit: May 23, 2009, 03:34:40 PM by ccoorreeyy »