Author Topic: Need help  Pup will not feed       with pics  (Read 9410 times)

ccoorreeyy

Re: Need help  Pup will not feed       with pics
« Reply #30 on: May 23, 2009, 03:19:29 PM »
I just thought about somthing.  It must NOT be pulling the case out and then rechambering it because the slide is back and the case is forward.  ??????????

BUT, when I only had one shell in it it did rechamber.

?????????

ccoorreeyy

« Reply #31 on: May 23, 2009, 06:19:31 PM »
Round 3

-cut a additional 1/2 coil off
-streached the spring that pushes on the extractor

Took 5 rounds out back

-round one and two were good
-round three jamed
-round 4 jamed
-round 5 (no more in mag) re-chambered after the shot or slipped off the extractor then back behind the extractor when the slide cycled back

If the extractor is slipping off the brass then back on when the slide closes hopefully a new one will fix the problem.

If its not the extractor and it is holding the brass the entire cycle and then rechambering the empty brass then the recoil spring is still to strong for the slide to go completly back and flick the brass off that little stop (anybody know what this is called?).

Any thoughts on the subject would be appriciated.  At this point does anybody think the mag spring has anything to do with it?  I don't, but it could???

« Last Edit: May 23, 2009, 06:25:08 PM by ccoorreeyy »

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #32 on: May 23, 2009, 10:09:26 PM »
Corey.  Just had a thought.  What if you changed slides from one of your other R9's from ported to standard with new recoil spring, and see if it performs as a regular R9.  I know, of course, you want it to work as ported.  This would be to see if it worked without the ports.  To me, this would be good to know, then, go from there.  Just my thoughts.
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

ccoorreeyy

« Reply #33 on: May 23, 2009, 10:33:15 PM »
I thought about changing out a barrel to see if it would work.  After a few days of tinkering I might try it if nothing else works.  I have just about convinced myself that it has to be the extractor.  My other ported R9 works perfect and thats with the regular recoil and mag springs.  Has to be that extractor.  Has to be.

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #34 on: May 24, 2009, 09:24:20 AM »
Corey:

I agree with you that the evidence is pointing more and more toward the extractor as the culprit. "Let the arrest warrant issue and bring him in for arraignment."  ;)

(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

ccoorreeyy

« Reply #35 on: May 25, 2009, 05:39:14 PM »
Step one - Open mouth

Step two - Insert foot

Well it is not the extractor.  :-[  I still have not gotten the new one yet but I pulled one out of another R9 and put it in this one along with a full length recoil spring and it still jammed just like ever.

I then changed out the full length recoil spring and replaced it with one with a coil cut off.  It shot twice then jammed.

I then put the orginal extractor back in.  I put a full length recoil spring back in.  I put in a NON ported barrel in the ported slide and guess what.  It worked great.

So, i'm not sure just where I stand now but its not the extractor.  It must be the porting has infact changed the timing of the cycle and I have some more trile and error work to do to see if I can figure it out.  I have sent Wolff a email explaining what is going on and will be recieving a asorted spring pack of recoil springs to try out.  I'll post any new results as they unfold.

I still don't understand why my other custom works and this one does not.  I did compaire them today and the barrels are finished different.  Custom I had nothing done to the barrel.  Custom II looks like the barrel was polished, the feed ramp was worked on and at the top of the ramp there is a bevel of some sort.

Any new thoughts about this??????????

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #36 on: May 25, 2009, 06:38:55 PM »
On the bright side, it does work with a NON ported barrel.  I guess you could swap barrels with Customs one and two to see if the ports work on Custom two.  I know you've thought of that, but it does seem like now it's the barrel.
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #37 on: May 26, 2009, 07:18:04 AM »
And here I was ready to "arraign" the extractor. (My wife, the judge, would say that was just one more example of my flawed prosecutorial mind set.  ;)  )
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

ccoorreeyy

« Reply #38 on: May 26, 2009, 09:26:06 PM »
The parts came in the mail today!  No other news for now.
corey

Offline theirishguard

• Grand Master
  • In Memoriam: 1941 to 2013
    • irishguardfirearmsltd.com
« Reply #39 on: May 27, 2009, 12:50:27 PM »
corey, quit playing with the R9s and finish the kid's fort. ;) :D  Tom
Tom Watson, DVC , Quis Separabit ,  Who dares wins, Utrinque Paratus

ccoorreeyy

« Reply #40 on: May 27, 2009, 01:24:02 PM »
 ;D Tom,  sounds like good wisdom to me!

Does it count that I was standing beside the fort when shooting?

Offline theirishguard

• Grand Master
  • In Memoriam: 1941 to 2013
    • irishguardfirearmsltd.com
« Reply #41 on: May 27, 2009, 01:27:59 PM »
it sure does!!!!! 8)  Tom
Tom Watson, DVC , Quis Separabit ,  Who dares wins, Utrinque Paratus

ccoorreeyy

« Reply #42 on: May 27, 2009, 06:11:46 PM »
Ok, i'll work on the fort tomorrow.   ::)  My kids only have 2 more days of school before summer break and I want to get it done so they can play hard this summer.

Now down to business.  I got home from work a little early so I started with the custom II problem again.  I took the ported barrel out of my other one and put it in this one.  It worked great.  When I got back to my bench I compared the two barrels to see whats up.

Well I think I have finally figured it out!

The one I got from HankHill had the feed ramp "polished" and my first custom had no work done to the barrel.  It appears that the polishing got a little out of hand and opened up the chamber to much.  It's kinda sad, I now figure this barrel is ruined unless I break out the welder.  :o  As best I can tell eithor the back of the case is swelling just enough at the rim when shot that it sticks   OR  (my guess) that the case can be pushed just far enough to the left that the extractor is slipping off the rim on the right.

Looks like i'm now looking for barrel.  :-[

I think I will contact the gunsmith and see what he will do for me.  Since he did the work for HankHill and not me I don't know what will happen but I will let you guys know.

The custom II barell is on the left (the one that had the "polished ramp").  The one on the right is from my first custom and works great!

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #43 on: May 27, 2009, 06:32:35 PM »
Glad it works!  Hope the Gunsmith helps.  How much is a ported barrel?
« Last Edit: May 27, 2009, 06:38:14 PM by kjtrains »

ccoorreeyy

« Reply #44 on: May 27, 2009, 06:39:49 PM »
I hope he does too.  I have no idea how much a barrel cost but if I do have to get a new one don't think I will be getting it ported.  I just hope I don't have to send the gun in for it to be "fitted".  
« Last Edit: May 27, 2009, 06:42:44 PM by ccoorreeyy »