Author Topic: My R9S doesn't like the new Corbon 80gr DPX  (Read 28451 times)

Offline MurrayNevada

• Expert
My R9S doesn't like the new Corbon 80gr DPX
« on: January 16, 2009, 02:57:49 PM »
Just shot two boxes of the new Corbon 80gr DPX HP and my R9S didn't like them at all.  FTF or FTE with every mag and three hard primers among the 40 shots fired.

Fired a couple of mags of Winchester Silvertips before and after the Corbon without problems (as usual) .  Also had no problem with Federal 9BP 115gr.  I'm sticking with the Silvertips.  BTW ... My R9S is an early Farmingdale model  Ser# R29X.  Perhaps the newer Rohrbaugh models will like the new Rohrbaugh specific Corbon DPX better than mine did.

Offline RickP

• Expert
Re: My R9S doesn't like the new Corbon 80gr DPX
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2009, 05:28:19 PM »
That's news, I was just about to order some. Maybe I'll wait to see if others have the same problem. Thanks,

Rick

Offline kand-corp

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2009, 08:44:50 PM »
I was actually just about to order some too. I had horrible luck with my r9s shooting a couple different types of rounds but never had issues with the 50 rounds of gold dot 124'grs ive shot through it...so far

my r9s ser # is R27**

Offline sslater

• Master
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2009, 11:04:43 PM »
I, too, have an early serial # Farmingdale R9S.  It was a bit ammo sensitive until I switched over to the new magazine springs and recoil spring.  Since then my gun digests everything I care to load.

If you really like the new Corbon round, you might want to try those new springs.  Personally, I'll stick with Speer Gold Dots and Winchester Silver Tips.  Those Corbon DPX @ $1.75 per round are too rich for my Yankee blood.  And I was getting stressed out when 9mm Gold Dots got to $21 / box of 20 rounds..... :-/

Steve

Offline MurrayNevada

• Expert
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2009, 11:06:02 PM »
.......never had issues with the 50 rounds of gold dot 124'grs ive shot through it...so far

my r9s ser # is R27**
124gr gold dots are also problem free with my R9S.  I have some 115gr Hornady Critical Defense FTX on order.  Testing of the new Hornady ammo looks promising.
http://www.hornady.com/story.php?s=786

Offline BytorJr

• Expert
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2009, 11:35:44 PM »
Unfortunately, unless I missed it, Hornady doesn't put the test barrel length in there.  That stinks!!!!!!

Offline MurrayNevada

• Expert
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2009, 11:47:40 PM »
......  It was a bit ammo sensitive until I switched over to the new magazine springs and recoil spring.  Since then my gun digests everything I care to load.

If you really like the new Corbon round, you might want to try those new springs.......
Steve
One of the mags the Corbons were unsuccessful in was just sent to me by Maria.  I received it yesterday along with a few new recoil springs. I installed a new recoil spring before today's range session.  New magazine and new recoil spring and it didn't like the C orbon at all.  

Also, never has the hard primer issue with any other ammo.

Offline RickP

• Expert
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2009, 11:37:30 AM »
Murray,

Please give us a report on the Hornady FTX. Looks promising.

Thanks,
Rick

Offline theirishguard

• Grand Master
  • In Memoriam: 1941 to 2013
    • irishguardfirearmsltd.com
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2009, 01:07:30 PM »
My thoughts are this, if the Gold Dot and Winchester Silver Tip in 115 and 124 work great why switch?  They both have good bullets.  Tom
Tom Watson, DVC , Quis Separabit ,  Who dares wins, Utrinque Paratus

Offline sslater

• Master
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2009, 01:34:47 PM »
Tom,
I agree with you, stick with the rounds that work well.
But looking for the ultimate round is a guy thing.  In the same category as guys sitting in front of the TV and continually switching the channels.
A friend told his wife why he changes channels even when he finds a show he likes:  It's to see what else is on!

Steve

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2009, 02:37:17 PM »
Not that I am a chronic cheapskate--there can't be many R-9
owners who fall in that category--but I think the TV remote
control will work for me. These helpful comments have
persuaded me to stick with what works, as Tom has said many
times, and maybe try one box of the Corbon 80 gr. DPX.

Offline theirishguard

• Grand Master
  • In Memoriam: 1941 to 2013
    • irishguardfirearmsltd.com
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2009, 02:43:16 PM »
tracker, yeah, why not try one box of the new Corbon 80 gr.   Tom
Tom Watson, DVC , Quis Separabit ,  Who dares wins, Utrinque Paratus

Offline RickP

• Expert
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2009, 08:31:35 PM »
Winchester STHPs and Speer GDHPs are both fine rounds. I have carried Speer 115s in my pup since day one. As I am sure is the case with everyone else, I pray I am never in a situation where I need to shoot to stop a threat. However, if I ever am in that situation I want to be sure I have the most effective self defense round possible. Hornady has apparently identified a problem where the traditional HP can clog with fabric preventing it's expansion and allowing the round to pass through the threat. Hornady has apparently found an answer to this, and if the FTX is reliable in the R9 it would then be, IMHO, the more effective self defense round.

Rick

Offline slashsplat

• Expert
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2009, 09:22:35 PM »
I ran two mags of it and every other round was FTF or FTE.  Maybe I exaggerate a bit, but it was ugly.  I still think most of it could be my lousy grip and lack of control (limp wristing).  I have a badly injured wrist form many years ago that won't build up...  But I still  found the rounds scary hard to shoot.  I can shoot every other brand just fine without FT* anything ever. (yet)
NRA Life Member - NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
Member: ARFCOM Platinum - JPFO - GOA - CCRKBA - USCCA - GeorgiaCarry.org
Μολὼν λαβέ

Offline Jack Foulard

• Expert
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2009, 09:47:57 PM »
Its difficult to understand how corbon put a self defense round to market that is unreliable.

Could it be that there are significant variations from R9 to R9 that is the cause?  

I'm having a hard time trying to understand why the Corbon round doesn't work.  Teething problems?

Thanks