Author Topic: magazene cleaning  (Read 2070 times)

Offline mick

magazene cleaning
« on: April 01, 2010, 08:04:09 AM »
I took apart and cleaned both magazenes yesterday and was just wondering if anyone else does this?,I have not seen much discussion on the topic. I had a few stovepipes while shooting at the range this weekend and wanted to make sure everything was well cleaned and maintained before I shoot it again. The last time I cleaned it I used grease on it for the 1st time which hopefully is the culprit for the malfunctions.

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
Re: magazene cleaning
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2010, 09:51:15 AM »
I only clean what's recommended in the Rohrbaugh owner's manual, and would recommend Ballistol for the lubricant.  It is some great stuff.  Makes things really slick.
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline yankee2500

• Grand Master
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2010, 10:51:11 AM »
mick,
  I clean the mags for all my guns, you don't want to get an accumulation
of dirt and powder residue as it can cause problems.

John
« Last Edit: April 01, 2010, 12:46:28 PM by yankee2500 »
"THE KING OF BATTLE"

"Cha togar m' fhearg gun dìoladh"

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."
Thomas Jefferson

Offline P7Enigma

• Master
  • VENI VIDI VICI
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2010, 12:17:54 PM »
I've never had any probs with my R9 mags but of course I don't shoot that often with it. However, I do clean the 1911 and other mags thoroughly and then use a dry type lube just for the followers. Silicone based lube works well also.
DISCLAIMER The above post is not to be taken lightly nor seriously. Any readers "interpretation" of the post was purely intentional

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2010, 12:24:51 PM »
Duly noted.  I've never had any probems with the R9 mags either, and do wipe them down, but that's it; 100 % functioning with over a year in service.
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline mick

« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2010, 01:27:07 PM »
I hate to bring uo another grease vs. oil debate but I think using grease caused the little pistol to "act up" for the first time.

Offline Recluse

• Expert
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2010, 02:11:47 PM »
Another option-

A guy on the LCP board cleaned his magazine by accidentally leaving it in the pocket of his pants as they went through the wash.

Offline yankee2500

• Grand Master
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2010, 02:29:46 PM »
I hate to bring uo another grease vs. oil debate but I think using grease caused the little pistol to "act up" for the first time.

With the synthetic oils out today I don't think about using grease on any of my guns.

John
"THE KING OF BATTLE"

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."
Thomas Jefferson

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2010, 03:00:31 PM »
John.  That chimp is trigger happy!    ;D

Offline yankee2500

• Grand Master
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2010, 03:48:17 PM »
Kind of reminds me of myself when I go out to shoot, the 30rd mag for the G-19 is a lot more fun to empty than it is to fill.  ;D

John
"THE KING OF BATTLE"

Thomas Jefferson