Author Topic: Bought 2 Rohrbaugh R9S's this month  (Read 28281 times)

Offline FloridaCCW

• Master
Re: Bought 2 Rohrbaugh R9S's this month
« Reply #120 on: March 17, 2010, 08:28:09 PM »
I hope they did not outsource to China  ::)

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #121 on: March 17, 2010, 08:43:11 PM »
What we have here is a pistol design that is far ahead of its time. More and more people are learning what we fortunate few current owners already know. The R9 pistols occupy a unique niche in the world of self-defense armament. Two brothers with inspired design and marketing skills, a few far-sighted investors (of which group I wish I had been one), and a dedicated staff (here read "Maria") providing the highest degree of customer service is a special and seldom-seen combination. Demand for these pistols is outstripping supply. Some outsourcing is inevitable. But if I know the Rohrbaugh brothers, there will never be any compromise on quality for anything marketed bearing their name and family crest.

Further, deponent sayeth not.   8)

[size=10]Edit: Typo.[/size]
« Last Edit: March 18, 2010, 05:32:33 PM by Richard_S »
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #122 on: March 17, 2010, 09:52:55 PM »
Richard.  I totally agree.  You have said it well.  The Rohrbaugh brothers are a tribute to their profession and I applaud them for their outstanding accomplishments.  Looking forward to the future and that R45!
« Last Edit: March 17, 2010, 09:53:50 PM by kjtrains »
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #123 on: March 17, 2010, 09:58:36 PM »
If anything, the slides seem to be improved over past years. One of the problems with outsourcing is the supply chain; if it is true that they haven't received slides in months there is no wonder that demand is outstripping supply.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2010, 10:03:00 PM by tracker »

Offline ACP

• Grand Master
« Reply #124 on: March 18, 2010, 06:48:32 AM »
I would have thought that Rohrbaugh was a vertically integrated facility in which everything is made in house. However, I am confident that whoever is making them is guided by strict quality standards.
Those who turn their guns into plowshares end up plowing for those that do not - Thomas Jefferson

Offline FB3

« Reply #125 on: March 18, 2010, 07:41:02 AM »
Personally I cannot get all upset about some small tooling marks in the inside of the slide that cannot be seen when the pistol is assembled and have no effect on function.  

I have several custom pistols and rifles, and they are all tools designed and constructed to do a specific job.  Looks are nice, but design, function, reliability, and longevity are the critical attributes that I look for in a good gun.

I feel that the Rohrbaugh is a fantastic gun for a very reasonable price.  If there is a defect affecting performance, then I would be concerned and would make sure that the manufacturer corrected it.  

Experience is the best teacher, but the tuition is awfully high

Offline Chief-USN

• Grand Master
« Reply #126 on: March 18, 2010, 08:02:56 AM »
 The Web site is a little misleading though. When one says It is "designed" then "CNC machines perform the manufacturing" and then Hand assembled, one would naturally follow the flow as all being done in house. It is quite differant than saying something like "We have our slides manufactured for us to the strictest of tolerances while maintaining the highest degree of quality"  One phrase does not even presume to be offsite, the other Makes one actually count it as a plus. Nighthawk customs bought frames from Les Baer, Caspian, and STI during their earlier years (2004-2008 or so) and it was never concidered a minus.

Chief
« Last Edit: March 18, 2010, 10:57:44 AM by Chief-USN »
Allen
Retired Navy (1969-1992)
Viet Nam Vet
Desert Storm Vet
Lifetime NRA Member

Veteran " Freedom isn't free, I Paid for it"

Offline FloridaCCW

• Master
« Reply #127 on: March 18, 2010, 10:51:33 AM »
Just found out the firearm should be arriving today!

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #128 on: March 18, 2010, 10:57:32 AM »

Great news; maybe they found some slides.

Offline yankee2500

• Grand Master
It is "designed" then "CNC machines
« Reply #129 on: March 18, 2010, 11:18:26 AM »
 I believe we all tend to think it's as it sounds, anything of this type could or would be listed as ,It is "designed" then "CNC machines perform the manufacturing" the mag extensions I'm selling were ,"designed" then "CNC machines performed the manufacturing" just not 100% by me.
  Because Rohrbaugh is a small company and the guns are designed and hand assembled in house it is easy to believe everything is done in house and at one point probably was. With the burden of keeping up with 9mm and 380 production, and designing and building the R45, outsourcing the slides may have been the answer.

John
"THE KING OF BATTLE"

"Cha togar m' fhearg gun dìoladh"

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."
Thomas Jefferson

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #130 on: March 18, 2010, 11:22:07 AM »
Just found out the firearm should be arriving today!

Excellent.  Good news, indeed.  Thanks for letting us know.
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline theirishguard

• Grand Master
  • In Memoriam: 1941 to 2013
    • irishguardfirearmsltd.com
« Reply #131 on: March 18, 2010, 01:29:27 PM »
Guys, The slides are made in the same building as Rohrbaugh. The guys who do that were Rohrbaugh employees but bought CNC machines and started their own company and found the new building that they share with Rohrbaugh in Deer Park. And of course they are made to exact specs from Rohrbaugh. These fine pistols are completly made in the USA. Tom
Tom Watson, DVC , Quis Separabit ,  Who dares wins, Utrinque Paratus

ccoorreeyy

« Reply #132 on: March 18, 2010, 02:32:18 PM »
Thanks for the info Tom.  That splains it  ;D

Offline FloridaCCW

• Master
« Reply #133 on: March 18, 2010, 07:34:46 PM »
Guys, The slides are made in the same building as Rohrbaugh. The guys who do that were Rohrbaugh employees but bought CNC machines and started their own company and found the new building that they share with Rohrbaugh in Deer Park. And of course they are made to exact specs from Rohrbaugh. These fine pistols are completly made in the USA. Tom

Interesting. Why would they say they have not heard from the vendor when they could simply walk down the hall and find out? How big is this building lol...

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #134 on: March 18, 2010, 07:47:11 PM »

That occurred to me also and why were they short on slides for so long a time frame?