Author Topic: Why Is The Rohrbaugh Still So Rare?    (Read 9355 times)

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
Re: Why Is The Rohrbaugh Still So Rare?  
« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2010, 04:54:13 PM »
I do like the Farmingdale and Corey has it right; even more special!    :)
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Online tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2010, 05:56:40 PM »

Perceived beauty and collectibility aside I would like to see the warranty return percentages from 2004-2006 compared to 2007-2010. Even though it is a well kept secret my guess is that warranty returns have diminished in recent years.

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2010, 06:03:34 PM »
That is true, I'm sure.  As Rohrbaugh has grown in experience so has other aspects of their business.
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline yankee2500

• Grand Master
« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2010, 06:36:47 PM »
  I find it a little disappointing also.  
I like the Farmies but I am a shooter and user and not a collector. At this point in time I would rather have a custom R9.
  Although I would buy a Farmingdale model if one came by at a real good price, I no longer want one as bad as I did at one time. I like the Rohrbaughs for what they are and not who machined the parts, they may even be made by someone with more machining expertise than the Rohrbaugh plant has.

John
"THE KING OF BATTLE"

"Cha togar m' fhearg gun dìoladh"

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."
Thomas Jefferson

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2010, 06:42:49 PM »
My thought is, I like them both; the Farmingdale, because of the rarity, and the new ones for what they are.  Can't wait for what's coming at the 2011 Shot Show.    :)

Offline magenta

« Reply #20 on: December 19, 2010, 10:41:29 AM »
I recently spoke with Maria at Rohrbaugh and she told me that she is now living in Oregon and that she tele-commutes with the customers in Long Island.  Isn't technology wonderful.
(\__/)
(=','=)
(")_(")

Offline yankee2500

• Grand Master
« Reply #21 on: December 19, 2010, 11:04:20 AM »
I recently spoke with Maria at Rohrbaugh and she told me that she is now living in Oregon and that she tele-commutes with the customers in Long Island.  Isn't technology wonderful.

John
"THE KING OF BATTLE"

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."
Thomas Jefferson

Offline JR956678

• Expert
« Reply #22 on: December 19, 2010, 11:07:11 AM »
Here is a link to some good information and a factory tour that shows some of the slides being made.

http://www.acbsystems.com/boards/rohrbaugh/basefile/rofact-01.htm

John

I had seen that tour also and was surprised to learn in this thread that most / all of the work is now farmed out to a "vendor".

While that makes the Farmingdale pistols more collectible, outsourcing isn't necessarily a bad thing. It seems to me that the core competency of Rohrbaugh isn't necessarily running CNC machining centers but rather the design of and refinements to the pistol and the support of the customers. Outsourcing allows the company to focus on those areas and very possibly get better more consistent parts.

Offline Alphonso

• Expert
« Reply #23 on: December 19, 2010, 11:40:50 AM »
So now we have Farm in Dales and Farm Out Dales...
**We Don't Rent Pigs***

Offline yankee2500

• Grand Master
« Reply #24 on: December 19, 2010, 11:53:14 AM »
Actually Farm in Dales and Farm out Deer Parks, but yours sounds better. ;D

I hope with all the outsourcing the extra time and resources are going to R&D for the R45. ;D ;D

John
« Last Edit: December 19, 2010, 11:53:33 AM by yankee2500 »
"THE KING OF BATTLE"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #25 on: December 19, 2010, 01:57:17 PM »
JR.  Very good point.

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #26 on: December 19, 2010, 01:59:35 PM »
Actually Farm in Dales and Farm out Deer Parks, but yours sounds better. ;D

I hope with all the outsourcing the extra time and resources are going to R&D for the R45. ;D ;D

John

Ah yes.  The R45!    :D

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #27 on: December 20, 2010, 12:44:32 PM »
I have it on good authority from reliable sources that the components listed below are the only processes which are outsourced by the factory in the manufacture of Rohrbaugh pistols, such being done because they do not have the equipment to do it themselves and it would be too much, at this time, to gear up to do it “in house”. (By the way, this is a common practice within the firearms industry, so Rohrbaugh is not the only manufacturing company doing such things via an occasional outside vendor.)

The items which they send out for different treatments are as follows:

Anodizing of the frames;
Heat treating of the slides, barrels, and some small detail components;
Grip screws;
Magazines; (Checkmate)
Grips; (Neil Hogue)
All Springs (Walt Wolff);
Parts of recoil sub-assembly (such as the end cap, rod and sleeve)

Otherwise, all Rohrbaugh pistols are manufactured and deburred by hand, then hand finished and assembled entirely in-house using CNC machining from solid hand-selected billets of aluminum and stainless steel. They are then hand fitted and tested by one of the Rohrbaugh brothers before leaving the factory. Anything that has been printed on the Internet to indicate anything different than what has been described here is totally false and possibly malicious towards Rohrbaugh Firearms Corp.
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #28 on: December 20, 2010, 02:26:20 PM »
Rohrbaugh has everything under control in the making of that great pistol we all enjoy!

ccoorreeyy

« Reply #29 on: December 20, 2010, 04:11:24 PM »
Anything that has been printed on the Internet to indicate anything different than what has been described here is totally false and possibly malicious towards Rohrbaugh Firearms Corp.

Richard if that is the case, good.  It makes little if any difference to most the location to where any of the parts are made but it does make me wonder why Maria, someone who would know,  would tell John otherwise as far as the frames go.  Also not to long ago a customer that had chatter marks inside his slide was told, by Rohrbaugh, the hold up of getting his slide replaced was Rohrbaugh waiting on there vender to make more slides.  

I promise I'm not trying to "stir the pot",  I'm just pointing out that it just don't add up.  I LOVE the R9!

Slide reference:
http://www.rohrbaughforum.com/YaBB.cgi?board=R9S;action=display;num=1263594141;start=105
« Last Edit: December 20, 2010, 06:19:17 PM by ccoorreeyy »