Author Topic: Karl Rohrbaugh: R9 not meant to handle 150 rounds.  (Read 36216 times)

Offline Fud

• Master
Karl Rohrbaugh: R9 not meant to handle 150 rounds.
« on: September 08, 2009, 05:23:26 PM »
Just came across the following ...
Well, I got a big surprise today. I work at a gun shop and we sell the Rohrbaugh R9 pistols. They're very small and slick pocket pistols and very expensive too. Last week 2 different customers brought back their R9's for repair. One had just bought it the day before and the trigger wasn't working, and the other one had had the gun for a while and had shot it quite a bit and was having the same problem with the trigger. They wanted the guns sent back to the factory for repair, which we were glad to do, but we were surprised as they were the first ones we've had come back.

The factory was closed until this week, so we shipped the guns off on Monday, but apparently the owner of the gun who'd had it for a while also called the factory Monday to talk to them about his problem. He told us that he had mentioned to whoever he spoke to at the factory that he had fired 150 rounds through the gun when it stopped working and was told that the gun shouldn't be fired that much as it was meant to be a carry gun and not a regular shooting gun!

To be honest, we assumed that the guy either misunderstood what he was told or outright made it up. It didn't make any sense that a gun that finely made and expensive wasn't made to be shot a lot. Except that today the head of Rohrbaugh, Karl Rohrbaugh, called us about the guns we had sent and during the course of the discussion he confirmed that the gun was not intended to be shot a lot and that 150 rounds was too much. He said that every few months he shoots a magazine full through his gun, cleans and reloads it, then puts it back in his pocket. Of course, he's going to fix the guns and send them back to us, but that still doesn't explain the crazy limitation on shooting.

I certainly don't mean to offend anyone who has or likes the guns, nor am I saying that it's a bad gun, but I thought this information should be shared since nowhere on the company's website does it say anything about this important restriction. Also, I have to admit that I have not read the gun's manual and don't know if this matter is mentioned there, but even if it is it's very likely that a buyer would not see it until after purchasing the gun. I have to say that I'm very surprised and disappointed by the whole matter and I just wanted to pass on the information to anyone interested.
... ????????

Offline Prescottian

Re: Karl Rohrbaugh: R9 not meant to handle 150 rou
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2009, 05:56:43 PM »
Fud-
Could you tell us the source of the quote you ran across, and especially the date of the statement attributed to Karl R.?

Offline sdlsaginaw

• Expert
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2009, 08:09:24 PM »
I don't know if he said it, but the statement is partially true.  150 rounds is a lot to shoot all at once.

The failures were almost certainly loose grip screws.  They should not have needed a trip back to the factory.

What Karl probably meant (if he actually said it) is that you can expect FTE/FTF failures if you shoot it that much at once and don't let it cool or clean it.

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2009, 08:40:54 PM »
150 rounds with the R9 in one session would loosen my screws.

Offline BytorJr

• Expert
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2009, 09:00:41 PM »
First of all give a source for this, don't just copy it.  I can see this on glocktalk or some other board with obvious biases towards one gun or the other.  

That said, sure, 150 rounds on the recoil spring...may as well replace it.  Trigger pull = grip screws without a doubt.  150 rounds and they'll be loose if not loctite'd.    

150 rounds...then there are a lot of "broken" guns on this forum.

This type of disinformation could land one in court IMO.  It's defamation of character to quote Karl.   This guy should have given his name and his gun shop if he wanted to be honest...if not, don't bother posting it as fact.  

Note, this isn't directed at OUR poster, just the person making this supposed claim.

ps...I'd rather try 150 round with an R9 than a 340 series J-frame :).
« Last Edit: September 08, 2009, 09:01:44 PM by BytorJr »

Offline yankee2500

• Grand Master
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2009, 10:45:49 PM »
"ps...I'd rather try 150 round with an R9 than a 340 series J-frame"

I'll second that ;D
John
"THE KING OF BATTLE"

"Cha togar m' fhearg gun dìoladh"

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."
Thomas Jefferson

Offline slashsplat

• Expert
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2009, 11:52:22 PM »
Our cohort DDGator participated in that.  http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulletin/defensive-carry-guns/39426-lowdown-rohrbaugh-r9.html

He posed well-spoken logic and defended our pistol expertly.

"Carry a lot, shoot a little."
NRA Life Member - NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
Member: ARFCOM Platinum - JPFO - GOA - CCRKBA - USCCA - GeorgiaCarry.org
Μολὼν λαβέ

Offline yankee2500

• Grand Master
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2009, 06:20:49 PM »
The sad thing about an article like that is the moment some people read it they think it is the gospel, and say I wouldn't buy one of those. As in anything you read or hear if you do some research on your own you will find the facts do not always match the story. You hear storys from some that any 1911 with a 3" barrel will never be reliable, if this were anywere near true why would nearly every company that makes a 1911 style pistol make a 3" model, so they can loose money on repairs and warrenty work?
John
"THE KING OF BATTLE"

"Cha togar m' fhearg gun dìoladh"

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."
Thomas Jefferson

Offline Fud

• Master
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2009, 05:06:43 AM »
    Fud-

Could you tell us the source of the quote you ran across, and especially the date of the statement attributed to Karl R.?[/quote]
    First of all give a source for this, don't just copy it.  I can see this on glocktalk or some other board with obvious biases towards one gun or the other.  

That said, sure, 150 rounds on the recoil spring...may as well replace it.  Trigger pull = grip screws without a doubt.  150 rounds and they'll be loose if not loctite'd.    

150 rounds...then there are a lot of "broken" guns on this forum.

This type of disinformation could land one in court IMO.  It's defamation of character to quote Karl.   This guy should have given his name and his gun shop if he wanted to be honest...if not, don't bother posting it as fact.  

Note, this isn't directed at OUR poster, just the person making this supposed claim.

ps...I'd rather try 150 round with an R9 than a 340 series J-frame :).
[/quote][/list]Didn't want to start an inter-board war if it could be avoided.

Offline Fud

• Master
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2009, 05:07:50 AM »
Our cohort DDGator participated in that.  http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulletin/defensive-carry-guns/39426-lowdown-rohrbaugh-r9.html

He posed well-spoken logic and defended our pistol expertly.

"Carry a lot, shoot a little."
I re-posted DDGator's comments from that link and it seemed to put the matter to rest. Thanks for the assist.

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2009, 11:42:54 AM »
I consider my R9 to be an up-close personal-defense weapon. As the smallest and lightest pistol available chambered for the 9mm Parabellum cartridge and with minimal tolerances, the R9 is a masterpiece of form and function which has been my EDC for over five years. I occasionally run a magazine through it just to maintain familiarity. However, if I want to run 150 or more rounds through a pistol, I've got 1911s which are built for just that type of work.
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline Reinz

• Grand Master
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2009, 08:58:18 PM »
I consider my R9 to be an up-close personal-defense weapon. As the smallest and lightest pistol available chambered for the 9mm Parabellum cartridge and with minimal tolerances, the R9 is a masterpiece of form and function which has been my EDC for over five years. I occasionally run a magazine through it just to maintain familiarity. However, if I want to run 150 or more rounds through a pistol, I've got 1911s which are built for just that type of work.

+1

Reinz
NRA- LIFE  TSRA- LIFE  SASS-LIFE

Offline robfxlr

« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2009, 01:43:41 AM »
 :-/
I bought a Rohrbaugh R9 in April in Delray Beach, Fl. Immediately after using my Amex fror the "mortgage like" payment, I went into the range in the gun shop and immediately realized the temperamental Rohrbaugh is not meant to fire practrice ammo as I had all sorts of FTFs and double strikes. This was corrected when I used the recommended ammo and I was able to put 25 rounds thru it with no issues.
Once I got home I realized that the Rohrbaugh is not so easy to disassemble and re assemble and actually requires some dexterity.
After my initial disappointment, I always felt that this was not a gun I would "stake my life on" I am a retired NYPD Detective  of 20 years, half of that time was with a wheel gun and half with a Glock 9mm. I would NEVER put the Rohrbaugh in either of these leagues in reliability and for my personal opinions, could never carry this gun as a primary carry/life saver.
With that said, I sold the Rohrbaugh to a local dealer, lost a bit, but not bad, and was able to get my hands on a Kahr P380 and still get some $$$ back from my trade. I previouslly owned a Ruger LCP which I loved but sold for the Rohrbaugh (big mistake). Anyway, it is a happy ending, if I hadn't traded my Ruger LCP for the Rohrbaugh, I never would have wound up with the Kahr. It is an amazing gun, put 75 rounds thru it out of the box, with cheap target ammo and expensive ammo - the gun performed flawless! It is amazing, it not only has a slide lock, but the slide locks when empty. The little gun does not operate like a mouse gun- blowback, it works like the bigger semi autos, and ejects rounds with an extractor- sorry-not a gun expert here.
Anyway, from what they say, a Kahr is not "broken in" until about 400 rounds- I am confident enough to carry it now, after 75 rounds and a good cleaning. I cannot say enough good about the Kahr, flawless precision, impeccable quality- actually like a shrunken biugger semi auto instead of a tiny compact pistol. There is no difference and no sacrifices. The sights are "real" and I can shoot it as accurately as a large frame gun. Design characteristics are such that recoil is much less than a Kel tec or Ruger .380 and the gun is so light that I never carry the North American Arms 22 mag I also own-this gun is as light and small.
Although I am sorry to be a "former" Rohrbaugh owner, I cannot stress enough the comfort I now feel that I have a "real" dependable pocket pistol.
I highly recommend the Kahr, although aboput twice the price of a Ruger LCP.
I know it will not be a popular opinion on this forum, but I am one of a few here that probably owned a Ruger LCP, Rohrbaugh R9 and a Kahr P380- in my mind, there is no doubt I made the right decision. I am thoroughly convinced I could put 1,000 rounds thru the Kahr in one range session, without incident- no grip screws to tighten, no spring to replace-sheer nonsense for a supposed high end, designer gun.........
"I'm a cunning linguist and a master debater!"..............Austin Powers

Offline theirishguard

• Grand Master
  • In Memoriam: 1941 to 2013
    • irishguardfirearmsltd.com
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2009, 12:19:58 PM »
thats why there are Fords and Chevs.  Tom
Tom Watson, DVC , Quis Separabit ,  Who dares wins, Utrinque Paratus

Offline BytorJr

• Expert
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2009, 12:51:25 PM »
Disappointing to hear.  However, I would have a least cleaned and lubed it before shooting.

Also, if you were shooting S&B ammo, they have really hard primers and that could have been an issue with "practice" ammo.

I am glad to hear the Kahr is working well.  Good luck!