Author Topic: New member with question on recoil  (Read 9428 times)

Offline Moonshine

New member with question on recoil
« on: August 23, 2011, 02:50:37 PM »
Hi all,

New member here, and I'm afraid I may have been bitten by the R9 bug, but I'm concerned about the recoil.  I've read a number of articles and posts describing the R9 recoil as anywhere from decidely snappy to downright unpleasant.  A few YouTube videos make it look as though you have to readjust your grip every couple of rounds.

Now, I understand that perceived recoil is highly subjective, so can some of you help me put the R9 recoil in perspective?  Two of my current pocket pieces are a Kahr PM9 stoked with Speer 124 +P GDHP and a S&W 442 with the Speer 135 +P GDHP.  I don't find the recoil on wither of those to be at all objectionable.  Can anyone help me understand how those would compare to a R9S with the non +P 124 Gold Dot's?

FYI, I won't carry a gun until I've put at least 500 rounds through it, but that doesn't all have to be in one session.  Our qual course for off duty/backup guns is 50 rounds.

TIA
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

Offline Reinz

• Grand Master
Re: New member with question on recoil
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2011, 06:57:43 PM »
Welcome to the forum Moonshine.

Glad you got bitten and you will be to once you get your very own!

Yes, recoil is vey subjective.  I am a medium frame guy in my 50's with nerve damage from my finger tips to my shoulders. I have carpel tunnel and arthritis in both hands and now severe tennis elbow that has not responded to any form of therapy so I have to shoot weak handed.

Why am I giving you my medical history?  Because in spite of these setbacks, I can still enjoy shooting my R9.
Time permitting, I will go through on average about 100 rounds per session.

It's not bad.  As you said, it is snappy.  Most folks find it very helpful to buy a couple of mag extentions from Yankee2500 off of the classifieds section to help with control.  They are a top notch product.

If you have no problems with your current guns, I feel confident that you can easily adapt to the R9.
But let me warn you, it Will become your daily carry gun and you will probably want another.  Most do.
NRA- LIFE  TSRA- LIFE  SASS-LIFE

Offline ACP

• Grand Master
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2011, 08:09:08 PM »
Welcome to the forum, Moonshine, and good luck in acquiring an R9. I like Reinz's usage of the word "snappy" as it has a positive connotation and is, (for me), an accurate description of firing the R9.

By contrast, the Seecamp, which has a very good reputation and loyal following by members of this forum, never gets good marks for recoil in the .380 version. Never owned one but I know the feeling.

Those who turn their guns into plowshares end up plowing for those that do not - Thomas Jefferson

Offline yankee2500

• Grand Master
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2011, 08:17:43 PM »
Moonshine, Welcome to the group.
  I don't feel the recoil is an issue, a bit snappy is about it.
I need to adjust my trigger finger position by putting farther in (between the first and second joint, because it will rap my first knuckle if I use a standard finger position.
  I had a PM9 and only shot it a few times before trading it for a second R9, if you shoot +P in yours the pup should be fine.
"THE KING OF BATTLE"

"Cha togar m' fhearg gun dìoladh"

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."
Thomas Jefferson

Offline Moonshine

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2011, 08:32:45 PM »
Thanks for the warm welcome, and for the advice.  It doesn't sound like it'll be an issue.  
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2011, 08:33:10 PM »
Good descriptive words here; also, I think it is important to meet the recoil more than halfway by making an aggressive trigger pull in a "forward lean" or positive firing stance. This thought process will help to counter the felt recoil.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2011, 08:44:05 PM by tracker »

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2011, 09:05:26 PM »
Hi all,

Now, I understand that perceived recoil is highly subjective, so can some of you help me put the R9 recoil in perspective?  Two of my current pocket pieces are a Kahr PM9 stoked with Speer 124 +P GDHP and a S&W 442 with the Speer 135 +P GDHP.  I don't find the recoil on wither of those to be at all objectionable.  Can anyone help me understand how those would compare to a R9S with the non +P 124 Gold Dot's?

TIA

moonshine.  Welcome to the Forum.  As others have said, I don't think you should have to worry about recoil either, given what you're used to shooting.  

Get  yourself an R9 and enjoy!  You'll be glad you did.
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline sm8770

« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2011, 10:35:53 PM »
Could anyone address the OP question re: having to readjust one's grip after each trigger pull?  As mentioned,  the youtube videos seemed to show frequent repositioning of the grip on the pistol.

If this is the case for some or many of you, might this slow down the time to a second shot in the event of a self-defense situation?

Thanks.

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2011, 10:58:08 PM »

I have not been aware of any regripping tendency or necessity. This may vary with individual shooters but anyone with normal grip strength should be able to shoot the R9 without regripping. However, just like golfers, some have a tendency to regrip even though it is not necessary.

Offline yankee2500

• Grand Master
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2011, 11:02:54 PM »
   I can only answer for myself, After each trigger pull, NO
There are other variables connected to the answer also, one handed shooting, two handed shooting, ball ammo or HPs and bullet weight will all play a role in the amount of recoil.

And actually this was his observation.

"A few YouTube videos make it look as though you have to readjust your grip every couple of rounds."
"THE KING OF BATTLE"

"Cha togar m' fhearg gun dìoladh"

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."
Thomas Jefferson

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2011, 11:23:03 PM »
Could anyone address the OP question re: having to readjust one's grip after each trigger pull?  As mentioned,  the youtube videos seemed to show frequent repositioning of the grip on the pistol.

If this is the case for some or many of you, might this slow down the time to a second shot in the event of a self-defense situation?

Thanks.

I'm used to shooting larger caliber handguns, so for me, repositioning of the R9 is a no, don't have to, and I agree, with normal hand strength this shouldn't be a problem.
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline Reinz

• Grand Master
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2011, 12:16:26 AM »
I have to agree with the members above.

The only thing I might add is that one may be regripping after relaxing and checking their target hits between shots.
NRA- LIFE  TSRA- LIFE  SASS-LIFE

Offline sm8770

« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2011, 12:48:46 AM »
Those are very reassuring answers and much appreciated.

Offline mwbgtb

« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2011, 06:59:17 AM »
I have the S&W 642 and I find that the recoil on it much worse that the R9. I haven't shot my 642 since I purchased my pup 4 months ago. I found that the R9 has a little more recoil than my 3' 1911, but not by much.
I am very glad that I bought the pup and so will you.

Offline ACP

• Grand Master
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2011, 08:10:17 AM »
S&W steel frame revolvers are the best there is, in my opinion. However, those alloy frame revolvers, that weigh nothing, are very uncomfortable to shoot.

I had a Bodyguard in .44 Special with an alloy frame and it was extremely uncomfortable to shoot. .44 Special, in a steel frame gun, is an accurate and wonderful cartridge.

With the proper grip, (one of the six fundamentals of shooting), there should be no problem with "regripping" the R9.
Those who turn their guns into plowshares end up plowing for those that do not - Thomas Jefferson