Author Topic: New member with question on recoil  (Read 9427 times)

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
Re: New member with question on recoil
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2011, 10:54:29 AM »
Moonshine:

If I have not previously welcomed you to the Forum I do so now.

Recognizing that felt-recoil, as you note, is highly subjective, I see no reason why you should find the R9's recoil to be anything other than the above-mentioned "snappy." A firm grip is naturally required (no "limp wristing") for a 13-ounce semi-automatic 9mm pistol to function as it should. That being said, I have experienced no need to readjust my grip on the R9 during a string of fire, even with grips mounted that have no checkering.

Now that you have been "bitten by the R9 bug," you need to treat yourself to what I consider to be the finest pocket pistol yet designed.

Again, welcome to the Forum.
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline Moonshine

« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2011, 11:29:52 AM »
Many thanks for all the warm welcomes.   My concerns about recoil have been alleviated, and I've spoken to a pup owner who loves his.

OK, I'm sold, now to find one......
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2011, 11:34:47 AM »
Many thanks for all the warm welcomes.   My concerns about recoil have been alleviated, and I've spoken to a pup owner who loves his.

OK, I'm sold, now to find one......

There are several members here on the Forum that have R9's listed in the Classifieds; course, you know that, I see.

Also a suggestion in finding an R9 would be to contact Tom Watson of The Irish Guard Firearms.  He's in Texas and a member here on the Forum.

Wishing you the best in finding the Rohrbaugh!    :)

« Last Edit: August 24, 2011, 11:49:56 AM by kjtrains »
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline theirishguard

• Grand Master
  • In Memoriam: 1941 to 2013
    • irishguardfirearmsltd.com
« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2011, 12:41:13 PM »
Moonshine, welcome to the forum, let me know if I can help you get a R9s. I'm ready.  Tom
Tom Watson, DVC , Quis Separabit ,  Who dares wins, Utrinque Paratus

Offline Moonshine

« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2011, 02:59:13 PM »
Moonshine, welcome to the forum, let me know if I can help you get a R9s. I'm ready.  Tom

E mail sent.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

Offline ACP

• Grand Master
« Reply #20 on: August 24, 2011, 03:34:21 PM »
Moonshine:

Tom Watson is the best guy to know and do business with for an R9 and, in my case, other firearms as well. We all get a kick (or should I say recoil) out of newguys getting their R9s and sharing their experiences with us. We have been where you are now. Santa is in his sleigh and he has the directions to your house.
Those who turn their guns into plowshares end up plowing for those that do not - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Moonshine

« Reply #21 on: August 24, 2011, 03:40:33 PM »
Santa is in his sleigh and he has the directions to your house.

LOL, good to know.  Let's hope Santa has some dinero for me to help lessen the pain of this new must have.  I just bought another $1k+ pistol last month.  Doing so two months in a row.....
 :o

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #22 on: August 24, 2011, 04:21:53 PM »
Moonshine.  It's just plain fun to get new toys!    ;D  
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline ACP

• Grand Master
« Reply #23 on: August 24, 2011, 06:46:59 PM »
Moonshine:

Okay; I'll bite. What was the other $1K gun?
Those who turn their guns into plowshares end up plowing for those that do not - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Moonshine

« Reply #24 on: August 24, 2011, 06:55:36 PM »
Moonshine:

Okay; I'll bite. What was the other $1K gun?

A Dan Wesson Guardian.  Alloy frame Commander length bobtailed 1911 chambered in 9mm.

Offline jeffgraham

« Reply #25 on: August 24, 2011, 07:50:15 PM »
Welcome.  I'm apparently a wuss as I  find the recoil of my 9mm objectioable after the 3rd or fourth mag.  I've been looking for some low recoil ammo for ages.  I discovered Aguilla I. Q. ammo and it worked great untill BATF in its infinite wisdom decided that you and I can't be trusted with it and prohibited its import.  Having said the foregoing I've put about 1100 rounds thru my pup and wouldn't trade it for any other handgun on the planet.  The recoil on my Seecamp 380 is decidedly worse!  Am debating whether to get a Rohrbaugh 380 for my 20 year old daughter who has just moved into her 1st apartment.  There are better home guns but I'd also like her to have a gun she can conceal on her person if she becomes comfortable with same.

There are quiet a few Rohrbaughs listed currently on Gunbroker.com.  Buy one!!!  You'll love it.

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #26 on: August 24, 2011, 09:41:11 PM »
* * * Am debating whether to get a Rohrbaugh 380 for my 20 year old daughter who has just moved into her 1st apartment.  There are better home guns but I'd also like her to have a gun she can conceal on her person if she becomes comfortable with same. * * *

Jeff:

That is a wonderful idea for your daughter. The Rohrbaugh .380, being a locked-breech rather than a straight-blowback design, is extraordinarily easy on the hand as well as the eye.
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #27 on: August 24, 2011, 10:25:34 PM »
Sorry for the post.  Deleted.   Nothing meant to be implied.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2011, 02:37:53 PM by kjtrains »

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #28 on: August 24, 2011, 10:32:22 PM »
That should not be a problem with lag time; by the time the Arkies get around to processing her application she will pass the legal age for concealed carry. Also, if it were my daughter I would buy her the gun, encourage her to become comfortable with it, and keep it in her apartment for self defense and not worry about the age 21 problem--judged by 12 carried by 6, etc..
« Last Edit: August 24, 2011, 10:41:53 PM by tracker »

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #29 on: August 24, 2011, 10:38:33 PM »
That should not be a problem with lag time; by the time the Arkies get around to processing her application she will pass the legal age.

It is a problem if someone 20 years of age carries a concealed weapon; not that she would.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2011, 03:10:32 PM by kjtrains »