Author Topic: Rohrbaugh/Wilson Covert worth the price???  (Read 9125 times)

Offline ap1169

• Sharpshooter
Rohrbaugh/Wilson Covert worth the price???
« on: July 03, 2012, 12:15:19 AM »
 IYO is the Covert worth the price?  What is one worth to you?  Thanks, Robert

Offline yankee2500

• Grand Master
Re: Rohrbaugh/Wilson Covert worth the price???
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2012, 12:53:14 AM »
Robert,
   I'm not a big fan of all black guns so it's not worth much more than a standard two tone to me. To those who like that look and for the extra fluff and buff Wilson does I'm sure it would be worth more.
  I would rather have a Robar model.

But thats just me. 8)
"THE KING OF BATTLE"

"Cha togar m' fhearg gun dìoladh"

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."
Thomas Jefferson

Offline Z

• Grand Master
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2012, 06:49:11 AM »
I too do not like an all black gun.

I problem I have os the barrel has the blackarmor tuff coating. A few rounds down range and it will show signed of wear. I has a WC 1911 and had the same problem.

If you are a fan of the armor tuff coating and like an all black gun then this is the right PUP for you.
If not you have a lot of options.
You can purchase a new or used R9 and have it customized from there of need be.

As far as the Covert price, I think there is a lot of work that goes into making one and it is a fair list price. I believe there is a lightly used Covert in the classified ads on the forum.

Offline Z

• Grand Master
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2012, 06:51:04 AM »
Sorry I just checked and the used Covert has been sold.

Offline BlueC2

• Grand Master
  • Forum Contributor
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2012, 12:14:26 PM »
AP,

One thing I would keep in mind is that as far as I know the Covert is not an official Rohrbaugh model. I think after Rohrbugh discontinued the Special Forces edition some of the major distributors wanted to keep offering a Wilson finished R9 to customers and with Rohrbaughs blessing facilitated getting the guns produced. I believe the original warranties are valid though b/c Rohrbaugh approved it (please correct me if Im wrong). None of this is a negative, but I would not pay a premium over what the R9+finishing costs are because it is not a super limited production gun or anything like that.

What Adam (Z) mentioned about the finish on the barrel wearing poorly after shooting it a few times would also really bother me. If I were to get a coated gun it would be the Robar finish based on the positive experiences of those like John (Yankee) and others have had. Just my 2 cents.
Currently looking for Elite Premium RP 1 of 16. Please PM 
NRA LIFE MEMBER.

Offline Z

• Grand Master
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2012, 01:10:16 PM »
+1 on the Robar NP3 finish!

Offline dmunofo

• Sharpshooter
  • 1 year Rohrbaugh owner
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2012, 03:56:32 PM »
While the Special Forces is a very limited production number, I am not a huge fan of that deep dark coating.  The Covert coating is much soother to the eyes and more appealing IMHO.  With Wilson having tuned the gun a bit, it does have some intrinsic value....BUT the Robar NP3 finish is the way to go.  I will probably send mine out this winter for the internals to get coated. 

Dom
Active LEO, Duty Weapon SIG P220, Off Duty H&K USP Compact .45, K380 2 tone with blue carbon fiber VZ grips, Benchmade Triage side blade,

Offline yankee2500

• Grand Master
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2012, 09:41:00 PM »
While the Special Forces is a very limited production number, I am not a huge fan of that deep dark coating.  The Covert coating is much soother to the eyes and more appealing IMHO.  With Wilson having tuned the gun a bit, it does have some intrinsic value....BUT the Robar NP3 finish is the way to go.  I will probably send mine out this winter for the internals to get coated. 

Dom

Dom,
  Robar usually runs a special around March I believe, thats when I sent mine and it was a pretty good savings.
"THE KING OF BATTLE"

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."
Thomas Jefferson

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2012, 09:47:27 PM »

In the past they have offered the discount a couple of times each year.

Offline Robar233

• Master
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2012, 08:40:46 AM »
+1+ on the Robar! If carried in the pocket the NP3 handles the lint/dust with no problems.

Robar233

Offline dmunofo

• Sharpshooter
  • 1 year Rohrbaugh owner
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2012, 01:25:35 PM »
Thanks John for the advice..I will keep checking back with them.  BTW...I installed the grip screws and O-rings the other day. You can tell that the o-rings really help torque down the screws.  Going to the range in the upcoming week, and looking forward to see how they work.

Happy 4th everyone!!

Dom
Active LEO, Duty Weapon SIG P220, Off Duty H&K USP Compact .45, K380 2 tone with blue carbon fiber VZ grips, Benchmade Triage side blade,

Offline Z

• Grand Master
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2012, 12:10:07 PM »
Robar's Monthly Special, July 2012

Independence Day Special

So many have given for our Country

and we want to do the same for the month of July!

FREE UPGRADE

from NP3 to NP3 Plus on any order

This is Only Available for the Month of July.

Hurry and Get Your Firearm in by July 31, 2012.

Offline yankee2500

• Grand Master
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2012, 06:50:10 PM »
I think I would rather have the discounted price than the NP3+ upgrade, but thats just me.  ;D
"THE KING OF BATTLE"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Z

• Grand Master
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2012, 09:26:27 PM »
I think I would rather have the discounted price than the NP3+ upgrade, but thats just me.  ;D

John

I agree. The last time I spoke to Robar about the two finishes, they said they would recommend the NP3+ for a salt water environment.

Offline dmunofo

• Sharpshooter
  • 1 year Rohrbaugh owner
« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2012, 10:36:48 PM »
Maria had told me the same thing when i had obtained the parts list from her.  I am gonna wait for the price drop on NP3. 

Dom