Author Topic: R9 HST 124gr test  (Read 9157 times)

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
Re: R9 HST 124gr test
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2014, 05:56:37 PM »

No, but it is available in +P.

Offline MRC

• Grand Master
« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2014, 06:48:30 PM »
Federal has made that round in both standard pressure and +P.

If anyone knows where to get the +P, let me know.  It is hard to come by.

Offline trident

« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2014, 11:46:55 PM »
My test was with standard...I find no reason to use +P in my r9. Ymmv

Offline PsychoSword

• Expert
« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2014, 08:18:53 PM »
The R9 is not rated for +p anyways, not that you would get much benefit with +p from a 2.9" barrel.

Offline MRC

• Grand Master
« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2014, 08:28:17 PM »
The R9 is not rated for +p anyways, not that you would get much benefit with +p from a 2.9" barrel.

I would advise you to do some chronograph testing.  You get 40 to 50 fps more with the +P.

In my opinion, the short barrel nine's benefit more from the +P.  Velocity is what makes the bullet expand.

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #20 on: April 24, 2014, 09:36:28 PM »
We seem to be chasing our tails here. Who cares about the +P on an R9 forum if it is an unauthorized load?

Offline MRC

• Grand Master
« Reply #21 on: April 24, 2014, 10:11:19 PM »
We seem to be chasing our tails here. Who cares about the +P on an R9 forum if it is an unauthorized load?

If you have done any testing, the statement about +P ammunition being of no value in short barreled pistols is false, that's all.

Maybe we should be looking beyond R9's also the way things are starting to look.

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #22 on: April 24, 2014, 10:21:35 PM »

You seem to have lost sight of the topic of the O.P. in making your 50 fps point in short barrels.

Offline C0untZer0

• Grand Master
« Reply #23 on: April 25, 2014, 08:24:08 AM »
If a round is showing 14" or so inches of penetration in the IWBA 4-layer denim protocol, that gives me confidence that the round will reach vital tissue with proper shot placement.

I think at some point a person has to realize what an R9 is and accept what an R9 is.  Just like all carry choices, people have to make decisions about what they think will meet their needs.

I personally worry about using +p ammo in the R9 for a different reason, I think it creates a recoil impulse outside of range for what the gun was designed for and in guns like the Kimber Solo and the Diamondback DB9 that has resulted in FTEs and FTFs.  I think Diamondback found out after the fact that their DB9 was really designed around the standard pressure  115gr cartridge and doesn't cycle well with bullets over 124 grains, or +P cartridges - this is in addition to and separate from the guns experiencing catastrophic failure with +P rounds.  Even if the DB9s don't blow apart with +P ammo - they don't function well with it.  Kimber found out after their pistol was released, that their Solo was really designed around the standard pressure  124gr cartridges and doesn't cycle well with bullets under 124 grains.  Kimber's website says the Solo is designed to function optimally using premium hollow-point self-defense factory ammunition with bullet weights of 124 or 147 grains, but owners have reported that if they actually call CS with problems, Kimber recommends 124gr loads.

So I would be hesitant to use +P ammo in my R9 for fear of it jamming, and I don't want to beat the pistol to death trying to verify what +P ammo works in it.

This goes back to accepting what the R9 is.

Just like someone who carries a 380 AUTO doesn't expect 18" of penetration and an expanded bullet diameter of .70", I don't expect that kind of performance out of the little R9 either.

If I wanted that kind of performance I would be carrying a 10mm.

If a person is to the point where they think you need the performance that +P rounds provide, then they are to the point where they need to get a gun other than the R9, that is my opinion.

I'm happy with a pocket pistol that can get bullets to around 13"-14" of penetration through denim, and expand to around .60 caliber, and you can get that with the 147gr HST.

Offline MRC

• Grand Master
« Reply #24 on: April 25, 2014, 09:25:32 AM »
C0untZer0

I agree with nearly everything you say.  I would never shoot +P ammo in a R9.  I still think that +P ammo is very desirable in short barreled pistols designed for +P. 

I would never shoot +P in the R9 for a different reason.  The slide is not heavy enough and the spring is not stiff enough and I would worry about the slide unlocking too early which can cause all kinds of thing to happen, all bad.  I have seen the start of this with 10mm pistols and heavy loads and have gone to heavier recoil springs.  Also, the alloy frame with the tiny takedown pin does not appear to be designed for over pressure loads.

To get light weight for pocket carry, some things must be compromised in the ammo  used.  To get a light and smooth trigger pull in a hammer fired pistol, one has to be aware of light hits.

R9 users must be aware  of these  drawbacks.