Author Topic: Ask ECR  (Read 29657 times)

Offline ECR

• Grand Master
Re: Ask ECR
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2015, 07:30:30 PM »
You're welcome Mickey.
Makers of the NRA Shooting Illustrated: "Handgun of the Year for 2005" and receiver of an NRA Golden Bullseye Award.

Offline MICHPATRIOT

• Expert
« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2015, 04:26:16 PM »
Eric
I live in Michigan and today drove 90miles up to Williams looking for a trigger bar spring for my wifes new/used R9 and they did not have one to sell..where can I obtain one? Also looking for mag springs to freshen up the ones I own for both of our R9s. :-\

Offline tattoo

• Master
« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2015, 05:21:41 PM »
I need to buy a magazine base plate also....hopefully someone has one or Eric post some for sale...😏

Offline ECR

• Grand Master
« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2015, 08:33:12 PM »
Eric
I live in Michigan and today drove 90miles up to Williams looking for a trigger bar spring for my wifes new/used R9 and they did not have one to sell..where can I obtain one? Also looking for mag springs to freshen up the ones I own for both of our R9s. :-\

When Remington took all of our stock after the sale, there were hundreds of trigger springs left in our shop that went to them. I do not understand why they say they have none, unless they decided to discard them and do a redesign. Mag springs. . . . . Remove the baseplate. Count how many coils are on your spring. There should be 12. The originals were 10 coil. Karl made them 13 coils. Through testing, I found 12 coils to be optimum, so that was the last rendition. . . . 12 coils in the magazine spring. Let me know how many coils you have and I can help you with a solution to "freshen up" that spring.  ;-)

Eric
Makers of the NRA Shooting Illustrated: "Handgun of the Year for 2005" and receiver of an NRA Golden Bullseye Award.

Offline ECR

• Grand Master
« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2015, 08:34:59 PM »
I need to buy a magazine base plate also....hopefully someone has one or Eric post some for sale...😏

Send me a pm. I have some base plates.  ;-)

Offline wildmanwill

• Master
« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2015, 09:20:15 PM »
They had magazine springs last month. They will not sell trigger bar springs over the counter, claiming its a gunsmith install part only - so that may be why you were unable to obtain one.  Make sure you ask for Alex if you call or stop in.

Offline MICHPATRIOT

• Expert
« Reply #21 on: March 21, 2015, 09:59:57 PM »
Alex was not there..I guess Ill just take the wifes R9 in and see next week..maybe they will also install a mag spring.. Thanks all.

Offline ECR

• Grand Master
« Reply #22 on: March 22, 2015, 07:04:26 AM »
Sounds like the way to go being you are in close proximity to Williams. That is where I would be going. ;-)  There is "a little trick" to installing the spring and to have the correct angle of it in relation to the trigger sear bar and the hammer cam. Your original on your R9 can be "tweaked", but it is difficult to explain it with words alone. Tweaking each trigger sear bar spring was something I did personally at the factory by hand which involved a visual thing and a "certain feel" to it the way it reset the trigger from a full pull to "ignition", and then I did a slow release ~ "feeling" the way the trigger returned forward and to what intensity the sear bar recovered around the back of the hammer cam. 
« Last Edit: March 22, 2015, 10:25:06 AM by ECR »

Offline MICHPATRIOT

• Expert
« Reply #23 on: March 22, 2015, 09:44:26 AM »
I take it Alex is proficient with this tweek to achieve proper reset..

Offline armybrat

Ask ECR - slide question
« Reply #24 on: March 22, 2015, 11:10:07 AM »
Good morning Eric,

I recently acquired serial number R593, without sights.  it is a Deer Park, NY gun with the script style letters instead of the block style.  My understanding is that this was one of the first batches to come out of the Deer Park plant.  Is this slide/gun reminiscent of the Farmingdale slides/guns or did it receive the enhancements of the newer ones? Any other info about this serial number would be appreciated. I am excited to have acquired this and look forward to firing it as soon as I have time to get to the range.

Best Regards,
Vic   
"Say hello to my little friend"

Offline MRC

• Grand Master
« Reply #25 on: March 22, 2015, 11:16:37 AM »
resized,  I wanted a better look at it.

Offline armybrat

« Reply #26 on: March 22, 2015, 11:26:24 AM »
Thanks - I did a search through some old posts, and saw something about a certain range of serial numbers where there was some bad steel for the slides, and was also wondering if this serial number is one of those.  This gun wasn't fired but just a few times (maybe three mags).  I don't notice anything irregular.
"Say hello to my little friend"

Offline ECR

• Grand Master
« Reply #27 on: March 22, 2015, 07:13:49 PM »
Hello Vic,

Your serial number was well before the issue with the cracking slides. The slides cracking was not a bad run of stainless steel, as we originally had thought. It was more an issue of the type of steel we were using in those early years, being 17-4ph stainless steel. We found out that 17-4ph gets brittle when the heat treat Rockwell number goes above 46. Some of the R9s with issues we tested were at 48 Rockwell. Those needed to be swapped out with a lower Rockwell number slide. We really did think it was a bad mill run of steel we got, so that is what the story was at the time. I am just happy that we caught it early on, stayed on top of it and there just a few that unfortunately made it out the door, but we were unaware of any problem because nothing had come back broken up to that point, so all was well. Like they say: "You can't fix what isn't broken yet." Thankfully no one had a bad experience with them overall and we exchanged them as they came in without charge to the clients. Many were fine, even with the higher Rockwell number. . . . Just luck of the draw if yours cracked along the backside rails. The Deer Park guns that had the 17-4ph stainless slides were the ones with script writing on the left-hand side of the slide. Those with issues were only found on about 17 R9s, so the number of cracked slides were few, however, with the Internet, it was all over the place as if every R9 was cracking. In our ten year run, we made close to 7,000 handguns, so the percentage was quite small. If it is a Deer Park slide with the block letters, those slides are of a different stainless steel called 416 stainless. Those are fine all the way through their production run.

Eric R.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2015, 07:24:10 PM by ECR »

Offline MICHPATRIOT

• Expert
« Reply #28 on: March 24, 2015, 01:49:14 AM »
Eric,
I took the mag apart and counted the coils..there are thirteen on the one side and twelve on the other side, i.e. long side thirteen short side twelve. Interesting thought comes to mind if I clip one coil and reshape the end to look like the other end there wont be a long or short side when measured end to end and less pressure to keep the round from nose diving...but Im gona clip and go with your twelve and not 13..what then, a little stretch? not too much but just enough ;) seems like it would be the way anyhow.

On a side note, I have smith experience on many firearms through the years (I am the C.E.O. of a precision micro tig welding business) and have never..ever felt a action like this jewel..I recently purchased a second early R9 for my Wife and just cannot wait till it gets here to take it apart and look it over..After shooting about 75 rounds of 124 gold dots out of mine and cleaning it like a jeweler three times in that round count I truly feel 50 to 75 rounds is all I will run the recoil spring..You two brothers have made the perfect pocket pistol.  In my care these two R9s will run forever. I have carried anything remotely pocketable for many years while going about my daily routine/work and gotten rid of many fine guns that I tuned to be reliable and trustworthy always longing for the perfect 9mm. It only took one day with your masterpiece to realize the search was over. Spare parts will be my quest from this day forward. I now have the only pistol I will carry daily from here on out. Thanks for all the untold stress and work you and your brother and mom must have gone through during the years that your business toiled bringing these gems to market. Some of us are eternally grateful.

sincerely
Joel

Offline ECR

• Grand Master
« Reply #29 on: March 24, 2015, 09:11:14 AM »
Thank You so much Joel for your nice words. We did endure much stress then, however, we are in a much better place in our lives being clear of the riggers of running such a business today. It is not an easy task for sure.

Your thought of simply clipping one coil off of your 13 coil magazine spring is proper in thinking. That is EXACTLY what I did while testing and improving the reliability of the design. It worked. The originals were rather weak at 10 coils. You can stretch those out a bit and they too will work just fine. The 13 coil mag springs were a bit aggressive for their work and should be replaced or adapted as you mention here. That is "The Trick Fix" for that issue.    ;)