Author Topic: Flakey ammo  (Read 4715 times)

Offline hedrok

• Expert
Flakey ammo
« on: February 21, 2006, 08:40:34 AM »
I notice almost no mention of CCI Blazer 9mm ammo here.  And, again, please remember that I do not have the vast experience that many of you gentlemen have....Is it possible
that you don't use it because it's too "dirty?"  I get metal (non-magnetic) shavings in my Steyrs so logic says I'll have them in the R9 as well.  Since the general feeling seems to be that this gun must be almost spotless....am I creating a future log jam?  I've not taken it apart yet.....am still working up the courage to attack something that is gong to require patience
and a sound-proof room.  
As for Blazer....in over 10,000 rounds fired by the whole family,
not one reject.  And the price is right.  It's not bad for the
all brass casings either.  Comments??    Thanks   Brian

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
  • Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
Re: Flakey ammo
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2006, 03:38:08 PM »
Well Brian I have not used any brass cased Blazer thru pup but did tests way back with the aluminum cased variety - and having the Speer Gold Dot bullets thought it pretty good.

It cycled and fed just fine and wetpack bullet performance was classic Gold Dot.

I haven't noticed so far any ammo that leaves any flakey particles - tho using as I do, GD's which are nickel plated maybe that would not happen anyways.
Chris - R9S
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
R9 FAQ Site
NRA Life member and Certified Instructor.

Offline hedrok

• Expert
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2006, 05:51:03 PM »
First, what is "wetpack preformance?"  Second, I think that if there is nothing coming off of the casing....I better keep
looking.  I noticed the wife's brand new Steyr M is accumulating the same shavings as my S.  Mary has only 300
rounds down the pipe.  Thanks....Brian

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
  • Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2006, 07:14:25 PM »
Sorry Brian -

wetpack'' is just a real thick bundle of newspaper - soaked 24 hours then drained for 30 mins or so.

Look on my FAQ site (link in sig) and go to buttons on left - test#2 and test#3 both have results on different bullets.

So - the ''shavings'' - can you assess size?  Are we talking almost too small to see or substantial!?
Chris - R9S
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
R9 FAQ Site
NRA Life member and Certified Instructor.

Offline hedrok

• Expert
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2006, 07:36:20 PM »
About 1/8 +- in size fairly consistant .....along the outside of the rails between the slide and the frame.  I guessed that since aluminum is softer than steel the solution might be simple.  It does seem to be non-ferrous metal.  I really appreciate the detective help.  Thanks....Brian

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2006, 09:19:37 PM »
hedrok:

Here is a comment from the CCI/Blazer FAQ site which may be of interest  ( http://www.cci-ammunition.com/?menu=1&s1=6&s2=16 ):

[size=10]Q: What is the intended use of Blazer Centerfire ammo?
A: We recommend Blazer for training, small game, target shooting, and informal shooting activities. For serious defense and law enforcement needs, we recommend that you choose SpeerŪ Gold DotŪ. [/size]

Stay safe.

« Last Edit: February 21, 2006, 09:21:19 PM by Richard_S »
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline hedrok

• Expert
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2006, 08:17:35 AM »
As far as the CCI Blazer ammo is concerned, I totally agree on the use of this ammo.  Ive only used Federal
105 gr.P.Def. expanding for carry due to concerns about over
penetration.  My local FFL, and LEO, and friend advised that for pers. def. these "flying saucers" were some of the best on the market to solve that problem, feed well, and have pretty good stopping power.  I have not seen anyone mention this ammo.  Good or bad, I dunno.  I will run Gold Dots in the R9, though since all of you are having success.
Maybe the "flakey" is just the gun mechanism seating itself .... However, I would have thought that by the time 2 or 3000 rds.
have gone thru,that would be over with.  The guns have been well lubed.  I'll just keep watching it. Thanks ....Brian  :o

Offline hedrok

• Expert
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2006, 08:50:46 AM »
New information obtained....Just talked with some other very
knowledgable folks about the "flakes".....It seems that hard
aluminum actually will flake off when the extracter bites into the surface to eject the shell.  The concensus was that while
the brass was probably softer.....it would not have the brittleness to leave chips nearly as often.  Conclusion:  If I want to need to  clean more often....shoot aluminum casings.