Author Topic: recoil spring  (Read 9521 times)

Offline jimacp

• Sharpshooter
recoil spring
« on: August 01, 2004, 07:08:20 PM »
Ordered two recoil springs since I just passed 500 rounds on R9S.  When I took old spring out and compared it to new one, old was 2 coils shorter. Was a visual confirmation that we should take Rohrbaugh advice on spring change!!  I have not had ANY failures in those 500 rounds, but I assume weakened spring would have eventually become problem. Anyway, just a reminder.  One question though.....what about the other captured spring in recoil assembly..does it ever have to be changed? Rohrbaugh does not send one of those springs when you ask for recoil spring. and I assume it would be problem to change anyway..but what is the word on that...does gun have to be sent back to Rohrbaugh to change that spring? When does that spring need changing?
« Last Edit: August 02, 2004, 12:30:18 PM by jimacp »

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
  • Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
Re: recoil spring
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2004, 02:13:41 PM »
I wondered too Jim but - so far I have considered that the small spring is so totally secondary as to not require replacement.  I will tho sometime get an answer to this from Eric if I can remember to ask.

The main spring is of course the actual ''poundage'' delivery system .. and much like a spring in an air rifle .... will even achieve some set thru just being installed, but then is further fatigued thru actual useage.

Has anyone else asked the Bros Rohrbaugh this question yet?
Chris - R9S
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
R9 FAQ Site
NRA Life member and Certified Instructor.

Offline GeorgeH

• Master
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2004, 09:00:41 AM »
At 10 bucks a set, I see no reason not to replace both at the same time.

Offline BillinPittsburgh

• Master
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2004, 02:14:01 PM »
I agree with George.  Those springs are not only ensuring reliable functioning but are also protecting your gun's frame.
Gentleness can only be expected from the strong.  Ancient Chinese proverb.

Offline jimacp

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2004, 10:38:55 PM »
I agree that best thing to do is replace it...however, it is not obvious to me how to remove that captured spring..that was my point...it doesn't appear to be easily changeable, and when I ordered extra springs from Rohrbaugh, they do not send that one. Does that one need changing at any specific interval? If so, how do you change it?

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2004, 10:54:33 PM »
Jim ... I had wondered same.  I just took down my R9s and have taken a pic which might help - tho exact MO I am not sure of ... probably be useful to ask Eric sometime.

Hang on and I'll post as soon as I have done the necessary with pic .... it may help others too perhaps.
Chris - R9S
R9 FAQ Site

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2004, 11:37:17 PM »
OK ... Jim ... and others.  I have started a new thread on the Recoil Springs - and hope this helps a bit - well, for now.

We do need some feedback from Eric on the exact most preferred method for this inner spring removal.  Seeing as the normal deal is that they supply just the main spring as a replacement .... I'd fancy they consider the inner one very much less significant.

The two springs work together - obviously - but I'd say that the design parameter on this is .... that they act as compound springs ... the main taking most of the travel but cushioned by the lower rate inner ..... giving the effect of a longer main spring.  Which of course could not be fitted in to the short length available.  My 2c so far anyways.
Chris - R9S
R9 FAQ Site

Offline Garish

« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2005, 01:47:46 AM »
So did anyone find out from the Brothers Rohrbaugh when and how to change the smaller, captured spring?  Gary...

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2005, 01:55:49 AM »
Gary - if my memory serves correct - we do not change that spring.  

It is captive on the inner guide rod and the thread which retains the rear stop disk is IIRC threadlocked.

I had mine loosen on gun #1 and send that part back - it was dealt with and so I think this spring is left alone.  Quite happy tho to be told otherwise if I got it wrong.
Chris - R9S
R9 FAQ Site

Offline Garish

« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2005, 02:13:13 AM »
Thanks Chris.  I found this in another place on the forum.  I read and ask questions and sometimes find the answer in another place.  I appreciate your help all the same as frequently I do not find the answer.  Being notified of responses is a nice veature on the forum!  Gary...

Offline S.F._Phantom

« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2006, 09:51:15 PM »
Well, first I would like to say thank you for this great forum and secondly I would like to say what have I gotten my self into...  
This is my first post so please excuse my questions as I mean no offense to anyone.

I have just received my new mini cannon (R9s) and after reading your forum for the past 3 hours, I have become totally confused....(doesn't take much)

Is there a video on how to take the R9s down for cleaning and then reassembly?

Should I be tracking down some of these special tools that I have seen on your forum?  Sure looks like they may make the cleaning job a little easier.

As some of you might understand my concerns, I am going to be using this firearm as a secondary while at work and an offduty weapon when I'm not at work.  

Am I just getting paranoid, or are there a high number of problems with this weapon?  Is the recoil spring the main problem? I am willing to do what ever needs to be done, I just need to trust it.

I must say, the weapon appears to be one of the best made pistols that I have ever owned.  After watching the company's video, I can only hope to get that kind of accuracy.  

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Bud

« Last Edit: May 23, 2006, 09:54:01 PM by S.F._Phantom »
We Are The Pilgrims, Master;We Shall Go Always A Little Further

Offline CaptBW

• Master
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2006, 10:56:01 PM »
My R9s continues to perform flawlessly.

Do yourself a favor and order one of RJ's tools.
ACTA NON VERBA

Offline MountainMan

• Grand Master
  • MountainMan Dave
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2006, 11:34:46 PM »
SF  (Bud)

Welcome and join in often.  Go to R9SCarry's (Chris) FAQ site - under index there are take down videos and stills and a lot of other info.

http://www.acbsystems.com/boards/rohrbaugh/

Don't worry about reliablity - the vast majority have no problem and most have put hundreds of round through without failure.  I have two R9s.  I tried my best to make mine jam on purpose.  I finally was able to get one FTF when I held it so loose it almost flew out of my hand.

Like any gun brand you may get a few that are problems - but most just need broke in.  Sometimes the R9 is shooter sensitive for some reason.  Could be the shape of some hands.  Some who have had FTF problems have others shot it with no problem.  Once again this is not the norm.

So have fun.  I do not think of the R9 as a range gun for hundreds of rounds - though some do.  I think of it as a carry gun that is to be shot little and carried a lot.  Once again welcome.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2006, 11:37:28 PM by MountainMan »
"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but the moments that take our breath away..."

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2006, 11:48:03 PM »
Hi Bud and welcome :)

Yes, follow Dave's link to my FAQ (link is in my sig line actually) - and you'll find some stuff on take-down etc - some is my own version and some is Eric Rohrbaugh's - there is a PDF version of the vid I did on his version too - should help a bit.

But as they say - always more than one way to skin a rabbit ;) - should get you started tho.
Chris - R9S
R9 FAQ Site

Offline Michigunner

• Grand Master
« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2006, 12:09:18 AM »
Bud,

Welcome to the forum.  Come back often.

Bill