Author Topic: Best first pocket gun  (Read 8400 times)

Offline Chinook

• Expert
  • NRA Endowment Life Member
Re: Best first pocket gun
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2008, 02:42:54 PM »
Thanks for all your posts; you have been most helpful.  I'm going to get an R9 and I'll revisit this thread (it may take me a couple of months so don't hold your breaths) with an update.

Kindest regards

PS.  Is Gunbroker.com a good place to look?  Does the lifetime warranty transfer (i.e., will a used gun have a warrany)?  Anything else to consider as I choose my "best first pocket gun"...?
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."   Ben Franklin

Offline theirishguard

• Grand Master
  • In Memoriam: 1941 to 2013
    • irishguardfirearmsltd.com
« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2008, 03:06:56 PM »
PM sent.  Tom
Tom Watson, DVC , Quis Separabit ,  Who dares wins, Utrinque Paratus

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2008, 04:09:10 PM »
Chinook:

Tom ("theirishguard") will be able to get you the R9 of your choice at the right price. His company is a sponsor of this Forum.  
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline TW

• Grand Master
« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2008, 11:54:19 AM »
Chinook:

Tom ("theirishguard") will be able to get you the R9 of your choice at the right price. His company is a sponsor of this Forum.  

>>Hi Chinook...

Although by now I'm guessing you have already made your purchase... I would like to take the opportunity anyway to confer with Richard regarding Tom Watson / theirishguard being the #1 choice as a dealer for Rohrbaugh and other fine firearms.  Besides being a sponsor of this Forum, Tom is a wonderful person to deal with.  So regardless of where you may have purchased the gun of choice for this thread...please tuck this bit of info into your "to be remembered" file - you won't regret it.

One last point about an advantage of the R-9 over other guns on your short list...and I own all of those mentioned -  The R-9 trigger has double strike capability, which is important to me.  In particular I really wish my Kahr PM9 had this feature, because otherwise I find the PM9 to be a fine, fine, superfine weapon - but still in a totally different class from the R-9.  In my opinion (and those of many others), the Rohrbaugh R-9 has established it's own class as a .9mm Pocket Gun, and thus far it has no commercial competition...TW<<

Offline eddie_c-clamp

• Expert
« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2008, 10:23:22 PM »
The R9 is a lot easier on the trigger finger than the LWS .380. No Doubt. Both are easy to carry. Both are great guns. :)

Offline henryk

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #20 on: June 29, 2008, 11:29:21 AM »
For all those complaing about painfull recoil, I have to ask if you are wearing quality shooting gloves. That can make all the difference in shooting comfort. I can fire many rounds through my Seecamp 380 & Rohrbaugh with gloves. With out my gloves, I am done after 2 mags.

I can manage four mags with either pistol before going on to other things.  A bandaid on the trigger finger works for me but maybe I need to look into a shooting glove.   8)

Offline maverick01

« Reply #21 on: July 25, 2008, 11:51:34 AM »
I have a Kahr PM 40 which is the same size as a PM9. Both are slightly larger than the R9 @the widest points. BUT as they are more squared off , they will print much more in a pants pocket than the R9. They do have more power but are harder to conceal. Recoil with the R9 is not bad at all (remember, you did not get it to target shoot all afternoon )
A couple of mags at a time is no problem . yes it recoils more than a Keltec P3AT , but not enough more to get concerned about. The ONLY downside I have found is the NO +p restriction.There are several good 9mm loads that work fine tho.