Author Topic: Two custom Jim Powell holsters for my R9  (Read 15895 times)

Offline Relic

• Sharpshooter
  • Lifetime NRA, Lifetime VFW
Two custom Jim Powell holsters for my R9
« on: June 22, 2011, 09:55:05 PM »
Jim is a great guy and very accommodating.  I've been working with him on a custom spec'ed IPS holster adjusted to my needs.  After several phone calls, a few emails, and many example pictures exchanged, Jim sent me some photo's of the completed IPS with kydex paddle and cut out adjusted to make a draw possible with a full grip on the pistol.

I can't share the pictures just yet, but it's a beauty.  Jim nailed it.

The second holster is a custom front pocket holster with a curved 8oz leather shield and likely some lighter 6 oz leather for the holster.  We're still working out the details on that one.

As soon as I get them both in my hands I'll post up some pic's.

Jim's a no-BS, straight shooter, who will tell you if he thinks you're asking for a bad design.  You could spend a whole lot more, elsewhere, and get a lot less holster.

If you're like to check him out, his website http://www.leatherandstuff.net has some holster images.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2011, 10:09:06 AM by Relic »
Land of the free, because of the brave.

Offline Reinz

• Grand Master
Re: Two custom Jim Powell holsters for my R9
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2011, 11:13:06 PM »
Awesome Relic, I'd really like to see how they turned out.
NRA- LIFE  TSRA- LIFE  SASS-LIFE

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2011, 11:22:27 PM »
Relic.  Sounds like some unique holsters coming.  Looking forward to the photos.    :)
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline yankee2500

• Grand Master
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2011, 11:33:19 PM »
Look forward to seeing the new design. :D
"THE KING OF BATTLE"

"Cha togar m' fhearg gun dìoladh"

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."
Thomas Jefferson

Joe_from_NY

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2011, 12:56:01 AM »
See this thread for my excellent experience with an order from Jim Powell:  http://www.rohrbaughforum.com/YaBB.cgi?board=Accessories;action=display;num=1304687288

« Last Edit: June 24, 2011, 12:56:51 AM by Joe_from_NY »

Offline Relic

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2011, 10:06:26 AM »
Jim said they should arrive as early as today.
I am excited to see what Jim did with my ideas, although they are more my feature requests, and Jim's designs.

Joe, yes, Jim's business ethics are exemplary.  Not to mention he makes fine holsters.  Yours are beautiful holsters, and I'm hoping your "just big enough" pocket holster ideas are just as well done in my front pocket design.  Jim actually mentioned you and your pocket holster during our discussions, and we "borrowed" your idea for a smaller concealment panel.  :)

Just so everyone understands, Jim had the first holster completed and ready to ship in about a week, but I wanted to discuss the second design a bit more and asked him to wait and ship both together.  Still extremely fast delivery for to holsters made to customer specs, but it would have been even faster if I didn't delay things.

I fixed the hyperlink, thanks for pointing that out Joe.
I'm used to the forum software auto-linking URLs.

Edit:  Just received the tracking # from Jim, it looks like they'll be here Friday.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2011, 05:46:59 PM by Relic »

Offline Relic

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2011, 07:07:05 PM »
Holsters are here, fit is excellent.
Looks like I'll have to sign up for a image hosting site to post the pictures.  Jim did a nice job.

Offline 45LC

« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2011, 09:47:13 PM »
Relic,

All my holster pouches are 8 oz leather.  The back panel on the Back Pocket holster (like Joe's) and the one like you have are 8oz plus the back panel of 2 1/2 oz for a total of about 10 1/2 ounces. The back piece may vary a little. The stamping on the upper portion takes away  probably about 1/2 oz. I've never checked it. I enjoy working with the needs and wants of my customers. Like I've said "If you're not happy ...it does me no good".

I'm glad you and Joe like the holsters.

Offline yankee2500

• Grand Master
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2011, 11:28:56 PM »
Jim, I see your a long time member, glad to see you posting.
  You make some fine looking holsters.
"THE KING OF BATTLE"

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."
Thomas Jefferson

Offline 45LC

« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2011, 01:39:10 PM »
yankee2500

Thanks, I try to keep a low profile.
I've been making a few holsters for the R9 and have some ideas for one that I'll get tested and maybe be able to show pictures of in a couple of weeks or so.

Offline yankee2500

• Grand Master
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2011, 03:58:00 PM »
I look forward to seeing the new design.  :D
"THE KING OF BATTLE"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Relic

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2011, 08:32:38 PM »
Rear of IPS, winged paddle

Front of IPS, perfect...fits like a custom glove.  I can shake it violently and the pistol doesn't move or rattle at all, but the draw is smooth and easy.  This thing is very slim and rides high and tight on the belt/waistband.  Jim nailed it on this effort.  Grip opening moved to rear for master grip prior to draw.  So far everyone who has seen it thinks it's a PDA or iPad.  They say "So you're turning geek on us?"  I smile laugh and say "No it's a gun."  They reply, "Yeah, right."

Front Pocket Holster, Joe's prior design input appreciated.

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2011, 08:44:37 PM »
Excellent holsters, Relic.   Jim does good work, for sure!    :)
« Last Edit: July 03, 2011, 10:57:56 PM by kjtrains »
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline Reinz

• Grand Master
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2011, 12:41:00 PM »
Very nice!

Thanks for sharing.
NRA- LIFE  TSRA- LIFE  SASS-LIFE

Offline Ljutic

• Master
« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2011, 01:16:05 PM »
I've used one of Jim's Seecamp wallet holsters for some time.  Always wanted to try the IPS, but Jim was taking care of Jim at the time.  Glad to see Jim is back in the saddle.  Was just on his website this morning and saw the new kydex clip.  Thanks for posting your comments on the new hangerment option.  I also like the adjustment to the grip opening.  Looks like I'll be ordering up later tonight.  Thanks for sharing your experience with us.

Owner of, and sole contributor to the Pocket Guns and Gear Blog.  http://mousegunaddict.blogspot.com