Author Topic: Two custom Jim Powell holsters for my R9  (Read 15891 times)

Offline dnseibold

Re: Two custom Jim Powell holsters for my R9
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2011, 02:40:49 AM »
Hello All ... I'm new to the forum and hopeful that I'll find it helpful and I that I can contribute!  Just took delivery on an R9S "Covert"; an amazing little pistol.  The quality is stunning.  The photo of the Jim Powell PDA style holster (with front flap that snaps closed) looks like it might suit my purposes, though I can't quite understand the clip that attaches it to the belt.  "Understand" may be the wrong word, here, but I guess I was expecting to see standard belt loop(s) on the rear of such a design.  Perhaps additional photos would help clarify it for me.  In searching the web for a rear pocket holster I came across pocketholsters.com that has an interesting spin on the standard back pocket design.  They offer one model (unfortunately not yet available for the R9) called the "Zipper Topped Pocket Holster" that incorporates a flap that simply lays across the top of the gun when in the rear pocket.  The flap has a heavy duty - non-functioning - zipper sewn into the top of the flap, which prevents any view of the gun when it's carried in shallower pockets such as Dockers or Levi's.  The flap is easily flipped up for your draw.  (I'm going to try and talk the manufacturer into customizing one for my R9. I'll let yo know if I'm successful and post pics.)  I purchased the Recluse for rear pocket and though its fit and function is perfect, it doesn't prevent this revealing top view of the gun in the shallow rear pockets, so I cannot use it in most of my situations.  Anyway ... thought I'd share some comments on this and would welcome any input from you fine folks on this subject.  Best regards ... Dan    

Offline yankee2500

• Grand Master
« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2011, 06:46:36 AM »
Dan, Welcome to the group. Congratulations on the Covert.
  If you have any design ideas you would like implemented contact Robert @ Meco Holsters he is very accommodating and may be willing and able to do exactly what you want.

http://mecopocketholsters.com/
"THE KING OF BATTLE"

"Cha togar m' fhearg gun dìoladh"

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."
Thomas Jefferson

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2011, 08:57:11 AM »
Dan.  Welcome.  Congrats on getting the Covert.  I endorse Meco Holsters as well; you will like Robert's experise.  Again, welcome and enjoy the fine R9S.
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline K-Man

• Master
  • aka Someone Else
« Reply #18 on: October 14, 2011, 02:39:17 PM »
dnseibold:

We offer "custom" work and for a very reasonable price.  I'd welcome the opportunity to answer any questions you may have.

With respect to the Pocketholster.com design you mention, IMO it interferes with function.  You've got to take an extra effort/physically move that "zipper" portion out of the way in order to then slide your hand in to get a grip on the gun.  And if your pants are tight/snug in that back pocket, you're going to have an even greater struggle doing that.

We made something very similar to what Pocketholsters.com offers.  In our version, you had material which covered the backstrap.  You only had to push downward, in the same motion as acquiring the grip, and it caused the material to move out of the way.

That being said, I would suggest you buy pants which have pockets deep enough to help cover what's in the back pocket.  A little bit deeper pocket makes quite a bit of difference.  And if anyone is able to see the backstrap of the gun, then IMO they're standing way too close for my comfort, and I would be moving away from them.
www.kdholsters.com

U.S. Navy (Retired)

May we always have the freedom to pursue our dreams.

Offline dnseibold

« Reply #19 on: October 14, 2011, 03:39:08 PM »
Your points are well taken, K-Man.  In my business environment, my options for pants are somewhat limited, unfortunately.  I looked at your website and didn't see photos of the holster you mentioned with cloth covering the backstrap, but I'd be interested in seeing some pics.  Perhaps we can work together to come up with a usable custom design to fit my needs.  This "Covert" is ideal for my purposes and considering what's ultimately at stake, it's certainly worth the added expense to "get it right"!  Best, Dan

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #20 on: October 14, 2011, 03:53:24 PM »
Amplifying on Kevin's point, I routinely have the "carry pocket" of each pair of pants I buy deepened to accommodate my holstered R9. It's an easy process for any seamstress or tailor, and mine charges only $5.00 per pocket for the work. She calls it "making a holster holster." After having so altered any number of pockets for me, she finally enrolled in a CCW course and obtained her own carry permit. (Missionary work.  8))
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline dnseibold

« Reply #21 on: October 14, 2011, 04:35:57 PM »
(I've been buying off the rack too many years!)  Excellent idea!  The stitching on the deepened pocket could even be reinforced in the process, and then the Recluse would serve my purpose well.  It IS a well thought out and executed design, and it's already been purchased.  Thanks gents! - Dan

Offline K-Man

• Master
  • aka Someone Else
« Reply #22 on: October 14, 2011, 09:28:34 PM »
Dan:

The holster I described was part of a whole set up that we offered:

We called the overall set the "Super Combo."  You had five different styles/ways to carry.  The holster itself actually snapped into the "wallet" (shown on the left) in this particular instance.  
www.kdholsters.com

U.S. Navy (Retired)

May we always have the freedom to pursue our dreams.

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #23 on: October 15, 2011, 12:13:21 PM »
Kevin.  Excellent looking combo, for sure; very nice!
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline TpaBayFlyFisher

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #24 on: October 20, 2011, 02:33:44 PM »
I work as a lawyer and have to wear dress pants most days.  I currently carry my pup in the front pocket in a Stoner Holsters rear-pocket holder.  The square back piece looks just like a wallet carried in the front pocket.  But, this means I must carry my actual wallet in the weak-side rear pocket where it is out of sight when the front pocket [and "wallet"] is visable.  No one has IDd my pup so far, including my gun friends.  8)

PS  There are some other very nice holster makers here that can make the same set up.

Offline dnseibold

« Reply #25 on: October 20, 2011, 04:16:15 PM »
Thank you all for your input and posted photos.  I'll be sure to post again, once I've arrived at a workable solution for my situation. My current frustration has moved from holsters to grip panel screws.  Picked up a nice pair of VZ grips for the R9S, but the stock panel screws have apparently been "Locktite" treated so well the screws won't budge.  I can report that as fact because the brand new, perfectly fitting hex key promptly stripped itself and the inside of the stock hex screw when I attempted to remove th first panel.  The good news - if you can call it that - is the stock panel and buggered screw remain tight as can be, so I'll simply live with the stock grips for the time being.  BTW ... first 50 rounds - 25 W-White Box then 25 Golden Sabre JHP's - fired flawlessly.  The Wilson Combat smoothing of the trigger has made this little pistol VERY sweet to operate.  I'm impressed.  

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #26 on: October 20, 2011, 06:07:02 PM »
Thank you all for your input and posted photos.  I'll be sure to post again, once I've arrived at a workable solution for my situation. My current frustration has moved from holsters to grip panel screws.  Picked up a nice pair of VZ grips for the R9S, but the stock panel screws have apparently been "Locktite" treated so well the screws won't budge.  I can report that as fact because the brand new, perfectly fitting hex key promptly stripped itself and the inside of the stock hex screw when I attempted to remove th first panel.  The good news - if you can call it that - is the stock panel and buggered screw remain tight as can be, so I'll simply live with the stock grips for the time being.  BTW ... first 50 rounds - 25 W-White Box then 25 Golden Sabre JHP's - fired flawlessly.  The Wilson Combat smoothing of the trigger has made this little pistol VERY sweet to operate.  I'm impressed.  

dnseibold:

Tracker has reported good results in breaking a Loctite bond by heating the grip screw with a soldering iron. As for the "buggered screw," I once successfully removed one from my R9, with no damage to the grip or frame, by using an Alden Grabit Damaged Screw Remover in a power drill set on slow reverse.

Good luck to you on resolving the problem!
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline dnseibold

« Reply #27 on: October 20, 2011, 06:15:17 PM »
Thanks so much, Richard!  I'll give your advice a try!  Best, Dan  (Apologies to the Admin & group for changing topics mid-thread.  It's been a while since I participated on a forum like this.  I tend to ramble when I type :O)  I'll observe proper protocol in the future.)

Offline yankee2500

• Grand Master
« Reply #28 on: October 20, 2011, 06:32:28 PM »
Thanks so much, Richard!  I'll give your advice a try!  Best, Dan  (Apologies to the Admin & group for changing topics mid-thread.  It's been a while since I participated on a forum like this.  I tend to ramble when I type :O)  I'll observe proper protocol in the future.)

I don't think you need to worry too much about proper protocol here we seem to have a lot of thread drift and it's never a big deal.;D
"THE KING OF BATTLE"

"Cha togar m' fhearg gun dìoladh"

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."
Thomas Jefferson

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #29 on: October 20, 2011, 06:40:27 PM »
Dan.  Hoping for you the best in getting the screw removed; very good suggestions above.  Good luck as the suggestions should do the job.