Author Topic: Check Your Pride, Get Tested, and Stay Alive  (Read 1078 times)

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
Check Your Pride, Get Tested, and Stay Alive
« on: May 21, 2012, 06:39:04 PM »
The tragic death of the Robin Gibb of the Bee Gees at 62 from colon cancer serves as a reminder that this silent and deadly disease is one of the few cancers that can actually be prevented with periodic examination.

"This year, about 103,000 Americans will be diagnosed with colon cancer. Ranked as the second leading cause of cancer death, it’s expected to kill more than 50,000 American men and women this year. Yet most of these deaths are preventable with a simple test, according to the American Cancer Society.

The problem is that fewer than half of the Americans who need screening—those aged 50 or older—get the recommended tests, such as a colonoscopy. One study found that a key factor is that doctors neglect to recommend the lifesaving exam, while patients’ embarrassment, anxiety, or lack of health insurance can also be issues."

http://health.yahoo.net/experts/dayinhealth/robin-gibb-dead-colon-cancer

So, if you are over 50, check your pride at the door and get examined. I'm as proud and private a person as anyone, but any momentary inconvenience and perceived indignity incurred from the test is absolutely nothing compared with what would be experienced with the full blown disease. And trust me, I know whereof I speak. I got myself tested and was able to dodge a "bullet" with my name on it.

(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
Re: Check Your Pride, Get Tested, and Stay Alive
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2012, 08:00:32 PM »
Good reminder, RS.  Thanks!
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln