Author Topic: Lubrication of the R9  (Read 17966 times)

Offline gunner930

Lubrication of the R9
« on: August 19, 2004, 03:40:04 AM »
 I did my first "take down" of my R9s yesterday. I can see why everyone recomends a vice. The hardest part for me wasn't getting the pin out but getting it back in. Yikes!
 Anyways, I noticed the lube the factory put on is a nice thick grease. Only having regular gun oil, I left it there until a good cleaning is really needed. R9SCarry mentioned under topic "Break In" that they used superlube at the factory. Exactly what kind of superlube? I searched and found a Superlube brand but they offer several types of lubes, from sprays to engine oils. Any detailed info on what the factory uses or recomends will be greatly appreciated.
 Gunner930

Offline justin2992

• Expert
Re: Lubrication of the R9
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2004, 01:54:32 AM »
I just use MIL-COMM TW25-B grease.  It's what Sig supplies with their P220 stainless.
The 1938 Nazi Weapons Law is alive and well in the United States, and is called, "The Gun Control act of 1968", and is enforced by the modern day gestapo, known as the BATF.

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
  • Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2004, 11:36:19 AM »
Gunner - I'd have to check on that ...... as to actual specific spec' / viscocity.  When Eric mentioned ''Superlube'' I thought no further on it.

It didn't actually strike me as all that thick actually.

I would suggest tho you maybe consider such things as ... RIG grease ... this is very persistent but once applied effectively low viscosity.  Then there is Mobil #1 oil ... a quart will see you to your grave  :P ... it'll be used so sparingly!

I have found a lot of people using it and have been trying it myself .. and to be honest I'd doubt it is at all inferior to any of the expensive, so called ''specialized'' type lubes.

As with all gun lubing ... just enough - but not too much.  Use of a toothpick or fine wire - so as to apply lube just where you want and nowhere else - is something I always consider important.
Chris - R9S
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
R9 FAQ Site
NRA Life member and Certified Instructor.

Offline gunner930

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2004, 12:58:46 PM »
 Thank You both for your recomendations! Interesting about the use of Mobil 1. Never thought about motor oils. I have no doubt if it can lube a car at 200+ degrees for 3000miles, it would be fine for a gun.
Gunner

Offline Mr_Jody_Hudson

• Expert
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2004, 10:20:04 PM »
I wrote SuperLube and got a nice reply.  It is carried by ACE Hardware Stores!
Here is the nice Email I got from them:

www.Super-Lube.com

Hello and thank you for your interest in Super Lube. We do have some hardware oriented dealers in Delaware however we do not have any gun or firearm dealers in and around that area.

The minimum order for Super Lube is very small…only 24pcs or two cases assorted. If you want to purchase less we can either find you a local Ace hardware or you can purchase Super Lube by the piece directly from our web-site.  

I took the liberty of attaching our dealer pricing in case you wanted to purchase the minimum and get the better price over and above the web-site.

Let me know how I can of further assistance and thank you for considering Super lube.

Sal Randisi

Super Lube/Synco Chemical

800 420 5823 Toll Free

919 542 1755 Office

516 982 5587 Cell

« Last Edit: August 26, 2004, 10:22:28 PM by Mr_Jody_Hudson »
Delaware Real Estate = http://www.Kate-Jody.com

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2004, 10:52:13 PM »
Pleasant reply Jody - and thx for the info.  I have an Ace not too outa reach and must remember next time over that direction to check it out.
Chris - R9S
R9 FAQ Site

Offline Mr_Jody_Hudson

• Expert
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2004, 09:16:36 PM »
My special order of Super-Lube is to arrive tomorrow at ACE.  I have ordered dry spray, wet spray, grease and oil.  

The big difference in Super-Lube is the PTFE that is suspended in the grease or oil or in the sprays.

In addition I spoke to Eric today... the MOBILE One oil to use is the O-30 weight.
Delaware Real Estate = http://www.Kate-Jody.com

Offline harrydog

• Master
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2004, 08:26:08 AM »
What does Eric recommend using, oil or grease? Grease makes sense for a carry gun because it stays put and won't run or drip out onto your clothes. I really like Militec-1 grease.

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2004, 10:31:05 AM »
Duane (DDGator)
Rohrbaugh Forum Administrator
E-mail: Admin-at-RohrbaughForum.com

Offline harrydog

• Master
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2004, 12:11:44 PM »
Thanks!
Is that the grease you're using?

Offline doctordun

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2004, 01:14:07 AM »
I posted this elsewhere on this forum with no replies, so I thought I would try here.
I just read on the Superlube site concerning the specs that the Superlube grease has a shelf life of 24 monthes. I have never heard of a grease or oil having a shelf life. Does this have ramifications if you use it at 25 monthes? For those that have this grease, is there an expiration date on the container?
I, also, emailed this question to Super Lube with no reply as of this posting.

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2004, 11:42:16 AM »
Doc .. I saw the other post but had nothing to offer really re this shelf life.

What does occur to me is - if the grease is not pure petrochemical ...... maybe including some animal fat - then I could see a shelf life being possible, tho unusual to say least!  The average petrochemical greases we are used to have a near infinite life span, particularly if stored in good conditions.

I will hope you get some response from SuperLube as to the rationale behind that.
Chris - R9S
R9 FAQ Site

Offline TW

• Grand Master
Sources of Superlube...
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2004, 12:50:48 PM »
I wrote SuperLube and got a nice reply.  It is carried by ACE Hardware Stores!
Here is the nice Email I got from them:

www.Super-Lube.com

Hello and thank you for your interest in Super Lube. We do have some hardware oriented dealers in Delaware however we do not have any gun or firearm dealers in and around that area.

The minimum order for Super Lube is very small…only 24pcs or two cases assorted. If you want to purchase less we can either find you a local Ace hardware or you can purchase Super Lube by the piece directly from our web-site.  

I took the liberty of attaching our dealer pricing in case you wanted to purchase the minimum and get the better price over and above the web-site.

Let me know how I can of further assistance and thank you for considering Super lube.

Sal Randisi

800 420 5823 Toll Free

919 542 1755 Office

516 982 5587 Cell

>>This is to add for sources of Superlube (outside of Deleware) from the makers...

"Hello and thank you for your request. Super Lube is presently being offered to both the industrial and the consumer classification of trade. If this is for your personal use please visit Tru Value or Ace hardware. They should stock most of the Super Lube sizes. You can also try Kmart. If you are unsuccessful you can once again visit our website at www.super-lube.com

And click on the top left on “orders” than click “consumer” than “order on line”. Just three clicks and you will be offered a menu of the various Super Lube items that you can purchase directly. Simply select the item you are seeking and add it to the cart. If you are an industrial end user please reply to me again and we will offer you the name of some national branch accounts presently selling Super lube.

Thank you in advance for your interest and we look forward to working with you."

Sal Randisi
800 420 5823 Toll Free
919 542 1755 Office
516 982 5587 Cell

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2004, 01:00:12 PM »
Good info TW and thx.  I have added that to the lube page on the FAQ site.
Chris - R9S
R9 FAQ Site

Offline doctordun

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2004, 01:30:03 PM »
Best price and free shipping for Super Lube that I've found:
http://www.aaaindustrialsupply.com/