Author Topic: Failure To Eject  (Read 10732 times)

Offline XScout

Failure To Eject
« on: May 10, 2010, 07:19:38 PM »
NIB r9. I took it the range and fired about 75 rounds (Win Silvertip 115 grn) I had 4 failure to eject. On each occurance it stripped the next round and tried to feed it but got jammed underneath the partially extracted but unejected round. All four FTE's were exactly alike.
Any suggestions?

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
Re: Failure To Eject
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2010, 08:10:36 PM »

I have had exactly the same problem in the past . The only suggestion I would make is to just load one round in the mag, fire it, then two, three, etc. successively. After you load a full mag, pause briefly between each round and it will probably work itself out but that is a very frustrating occurrence. Did you try a different magazine?

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2010, 08:22:37 PM »
XScout.  Welcome to the Forum.  Wow!  Failure to eject with Winchester Silvertips.  This is all I use in the R9, and never a problem.

Tracker gives good advice.  I would try what he says and I to believe it will work itself out.  Again, welcome.
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2010, 08:35:13 PM »
XScout:

First, welcome to the Forum and congratulations on the R9.

Now -- Is the R9 new? How long have you had it? How long have you had the magazine which caused the problem? How long/often has that magazine been used/loaded? It may be time to change both magazine and recoil springs to bring the recoil process back into proper timing.

Good luck!
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2010, 08:45:53 PM »
Richard.  NIB.    :)
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline FloridaCCW

• Master
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2010, 09:40:29 PM »
When did the FTE's in the range session occur? Beginning, middle, end? Any pattern? 75 rounds may have gunked up some things....  

Offline XScout

« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2010, 11:05:34 PM »
The gun is brand spanking new never fired outside of the factory. The FTE's occured on the fourth mag thru near the last of the rounds I fired. I segregated the magazines and found it occured in both mags.
Although I've fired thousands upon thousands of rounds in the military and civilian life I have NEVER fired anything that tiny with that kind of impulse and only had two fingers on it. It's quite possible I limp wristed it. I'll take tracker's advice and load 1, 2, 3 on up and see how that goes. Also I'm thinking of sandbagging my rest to try and isolate for the wrist. Do any of you have sugestions on ammo that isn't HP personal defense rounds that consistant - I don't want to use up all of my Win Silvertips figuring this out. I have a good supply of UMC 115 grn FMJ.  

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2010, 11:24:50 PM »

You might try the UMC but I have given up on that and use WWB. If this happened on the fourth magazine up it could be heat buildup, depending on your mag firing interval, or as you well know maybe just a re-cleaning and lubrication.
Sorry for the marginal initial experience but please accept my welcome as well.

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2010, 06:29:51 AM »
All of what Tracker said.

Again, good luck!
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2010, 09:28:42 AM »
XScout.  Sounds like you have some good thoughts as well.  Hope you get the problem figured out.

Offline RickP

• Expert
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2010, 02:56:50 PM »
Others have had trouble with UMC so avoid using that. I have had good luck with WWB and 115 FMJ American Eagle. Heat buildup, as mentioned before, might also be the problem.

And Welcome!

Rick

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2010, 06:25:29 PM »
The American Eagle is getting several good reviews here; another option.

Offline XScout

« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2010, 04:56:10 PM »
Follow up to FTE NIB r9. All rounds: unless noted otherwise were WWB 115grn FMJ.
I took Tracker’s advice and loaded the magazine with 1rnd and fired, 2rnds and fired, 3rnds and fired on up to a full magazine with a total round count of 10. There were no malfunctions of any kind.
After the first 10 rounds I let the pistol cool for 15 minutes.
I fired two subsequent groups of 10 rounds with a 15 minute cool down between groups.
These 20 rounds I fired from both a two handed modified isosceles stance and one handed, strong side at half ready. (I am not looking forward to shooting this thing weak side). There were no malfunctions.
After the 15 minute cool down I fired 6 rounds each of Speer 115grn GDHP, Hornady 115grn FTX and WST 115grn. There was no cool down period during the last 18 rnds except for the time it took to reload the last magazine. All 18 personal defense rounds were fired strong side at half ready. There were no malfunctions.
The FTE failed to reappear and there were no failures of any kind the entire session. I think I just let it overheat the first time I took it to the range. Although, I did make a conscious effort this time to not limp wrist it I don’t think that had anything to do with the FTE’s last week.
Thanks for all of your help – if it hadn’t been for the users forum I wouldn’t be as comfortable carrying this gun for self defense as I now will be.  

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2010, 05:07:14 PM »
XScout.  Great report.  Glad it all worked out.  Now you can enjoy!

ccoorreeyy

« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2010, 06:20:22 PM »
Good deal, carry it with pride now!