Author Topic: Yet another reassembly option?  (Read 3524 times)

Offline transalpian

Yet another reassembly option?
« on: November 25, 2008, 04:04:20 PM »
I finally got around to disassembling and cleaning my R9s today.

When re-assembly time came around, I didn't have the requisite channel locks, so I improvised.

1. Remove barrel from slide
2. Insert recoil assembly into slide
3. Using edge of table, compress recoil assembly
4. Insert RJ 2 in 1 tool on recoil assembly, outside of slide.
5. Slide barrel in place under recoil assembly
6. Remove RJ 2 in 1 tool.
7. You know the rest....

Anyone ever tried this?  It seemed to work OK for me.

Is there a better method to use without the pliers?  I don't have super human grip strength, so just compressing the recoil assembly by hand is out of the question.

'alp

Offline alligosh

Re: Yet another reassembly option?
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2008, 01:26:46 AM »
Wait a minute.

I always just grip it between the first two fingers and push slightly with my thumb, then insert the assembly over the barrel and slowly release it while lining it up.  In fact, I have always wondered why anyone would bother with the pliers and special tool.

Guess I just learned that I have super human grip strength.

Always good to know.  :)
« Last Edit: November 29, 2008, 01:29:40 AM by alligosh »

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2010, 02:16:12 PM »
I finally got around to disassembling and cleaning my R9s today.

When re-assembly time came around, I didn't have the requisite channel locks, so I improvised.

1. Remove barrel from slide
2. Insert recoil assembly into slide
3. Using edge of table, compress recoil assembly
4. Insert RJ 2 in 1 tool on recoil assembly, outside of slide.
5. Slide barrel in place under recoil assembly
6. Remove RJ 2 in 1 tool.
7. You know the rest....

Anyone ever tried this?  It seemed to work OK for me.

Is there a better method to use without the pliers?  I don't have super human grip strength, so just compressing the recoil assembly by hand is out of the question.

'alp

When first reading this post back in November 2008, I wondered how the described method would work but never got around to trying it until this week's routine cleaning of my "24/7" R9. When originally reading the post, it seemed to be counterintuitive to insert the recoil assembly into the slide first with the barrel then being inserted into the slide underneath the assembly. I finally remembered the description in the post and gave it a try. The process seemed a little awkward compared to my regular method and required what might be described as some careful "fidgeting" to keep the recoil system from launching itself, but it did work. A bit unorthodox, perhaps, but workable -- although I'll stick to the barrel-first method.

(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2010, 03:11:21 PM »
Good to know there's other options.  Never know when the hand strength can go.  
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln